sonicramone

2019 College Football

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, judyg said:

Want to know another tradition of the  OSU fanbase? They go to Michigan tailgates and they poop in Michigan fans’ coolers.  That’s right.  They find a cooler that has an M on it, and they open it, pull down their pants, and take a dump. Total fucking trash fans.  

This is FAKE NEWS.  This is not a tradition with the OSU fanbase...although I'm sure that this and things similar have happened.

According to my daughter (19 yr. old college freshman) with good friends at Ohio State, the partying routine gets moved to odd hours due to the noon local start time of the game.  Wake up on game day is 3am.  Bars open at 5am.  I'm sure with the hype of the game on a campus of 50,000+ kids, some tomfoolery takes place.  Taking your morning dump in a Michigan cooler would not be out of the realm of possibilities, but it is certainly not tradition.

BTW, did anyone see the crowd at the game?  Absolute bedlam.  I loved it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonicramone said:

This is FAKE NEWS.  This is not a tradition with the OSU fanbase...although I'm sure that this and things similar have happened.

According to my daughter (19 yr. old college freshman) with good friends at Ohio State, the partying routine gets moved to odd hours due to the noon local start time of the game.  Wake up on game day is 3am.  Bars open at 5am.  I'm sure with the hype of the game on a campus of 50,000+ kids, some tomfoolery takes place.  Taking your morning dump in a Michigan cooler would not be out of the realm of possibilities, but it is certainly not tradition.

BTW, did anyone see the crowd at the game?  Absolute bedlam.  I loved it!!

It's real. It happens and I know people to whom it has happened. Of course not everyone does it, but it is done. There are some good OSU fans, you and your daughter included. Opening the bars at 5am is a very bad idea. It allows the awful drunk fans to get very drunk before the game. They become the cooler poopers.

The crowd looked awesome on TV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sonicramone said:

 

BTW, did anyone see the crowd at the game?  Absolute bedlam.  I loved it!!

 

2 hours ago, judyg said:

 

The crowd looked awesome on TV. 

The Big House #9, the 'shoe #4 ;)

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-college-footballs-25-best-stadiums-in-2018-120211430/#120211430_22

Nebraska is a whole different beast. My brother told me about a business trip he made to Lincoln (if this fate befalls you, stay at the Cornhusker Hotel (it's a Marriott now :(), top floor - you can see about 3 days in any direction ;)). On the way back to the airport he had time so he went by the stadium. It wasn't locked, so he walked out to midfield and conducted his own coin toss. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JimCT said:

 

The Big House #9, the 'shoe #4 ;)

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-college-footballs-25-best-stadiums-in-2018-120211430/#120211430_22

Nebraska is a whole different beast. My brother told me about a business trip he made to Lincoln (if this fate befalls you, stay at the Cornhusker Hotel (it's a Marriott now :(), top floor - you can see about 3 days in any direction ;)). On the way back to the airport he had time so he went by the stadium. It wasn't locked, so he walked out to midfield and conducted his own coin toss. :D 

Oh please, that's a joke. The article is sourced from Popular Mechanics magazine. Seriously.  Popular Mechanics.  When I want to know what drill to buy, I'll read Popular Mechanics. When I want to know the best college stadium? Not so much. 

Go to a game at the Big House some time. Or even the shoe. You won't be sorry. They both put Nebraska to shame. 

Here's a much more accurate list, from Bleacher Report. They actually know about college sports.  They have Michigan Stadium #4, OSU #5, and The Rose Bowl at #1.  That ranking makes sense. It would even make sense if you reversed the shoe and the Big House.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2644948-power-ranking-top-25-college-football-stadiums-of-2016#slide21

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a ND vs. Nebraska game at Notre Dame Stadium a number of years ago.

I've never seen a hometown crowd outgunned like that before.  There was Cornhusker Red as far as the eye could see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, judyg said:

Oh please, that's a joke. The article is sourced from Popular Mechanics magazine. Seriously.  Popular Mechanics.  When I want to know what drill to buy, I'll read Popular Mechanics. When I want to know the best college stadium? Not so much. 

Go to a game at the Big House some time. Or even the shoe. You won't be sorry. They both put Nebraska to shame. 

Here's a much more accurate list, from Bleacher Report. They actually know about college sports.  They have Michigan Stadium #4, OSU #5, and The Rose Bowl at #1.  That ranking makes sense. It would even make sense if you reversed the shoe and the Big House.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2644948-power-ranking-top-25-college-football-stadiums-of-2016#slide21

I'll take your word for it. I went to exactly 1 college game, Dartmouth at Princeton, November 25, 1967. I discovered that at Ivy League games it is not "Where are you sitting?", but "What are you drinking?"

I was 11.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 6:27 PM, VABOSSFAN said:

We are horrible....I can’t believe the only game we’ve won this year was against Pitt....Fedora needs to get a resume together.

Would have posted this earlier today but have been traveling all day....Fedora is out at Carolina....It was expected and time for a change but Fedora took that job when many didn’t want it and there were some good times....I wish he and his family the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NOVEMBER 26, 1842

On this date, a FRENCH priest by the name of Edouard Frédéric Sorin, from a FRENCH order of priests, founded the University of Notre Dame (FRENCH for "Our Lady"), named after an historic FRENCH cathedral in the FRENCH capital.

To honor this heritage nearly a century later, the school decides to call their athletic teams the "Fightin' Irish."

In this vein, they also adopted their legendary anthem: Victory March, followed by the shouted oath:  "FAUX IRISH!" At least they're self-aware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was listening to the radio yesterday and a great point was brought up. 

Everyone wants UGA to beat Bama this weekend in the SECCG. If that happens you will still likely get two SEC teams in the playoff. I dont agree with it, because the SEC is the most overrated conference in the entire country. Alabama's schedule is a joke this year and SEC teams are ranked too high as insurance to protect the top teams if they slip up. But then you might actually get the push for the 8 team playoff. 

The committee would essentially tell the Big 12, Pac 12 and Big 10, that they are irrelevant in the conversation even though each conference will have produced a conference champion. You're looking at a likely Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Georgia playoff. 

If there was a hypothetical 8 team playoff, the matchups right now would be 

(8) UCF vs (1) Alabama 
(7) Michigan vs (2) Clemson 
(6) Ohio State vs (3) Notre Dame 
(5) Oklahoma vs (4) Georgia 

These games could be played at the higher ranked teams home stadium and then the winners are your top 4 in the playoff. 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with an 8 team playoff. I would get rid of conference championship games entirely, and go by the teams’ record in conference games during the season. Theoretically, Northwestern could end up the Big Ten conference champion this year, which is insane. It would make me happy, but it would be a ridiculous result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can keep the conference Championships, especially in these mega conference's , just do away with playing one of those East North Dakota State games. 

Play these 4 games as part of the bowl system. and than the semi and final as after the bowl system. Big Money to be made here! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, judyg said:

I agree with an 8 team playoff. I would get rid of conference championship games entirely, and go by the teams’ record in conference games during the season. Theoretically, Northwestern could end up the Big Ten conference champion this year, which is insane. It would make me happy, but it would be a ridiculous result.

Anybody other than OSU being the B1G champ would make me happy.

Pitt has a chance to be the ACC champion, that is even more insane than NW being the B1G champ.

The conference championship games are like the conference tournaments in mens basketball where the best team during the regular season may not be the conference champion.

The argument against an 8 team playoff is the additional classes missed and it would hurt the bowl system.  The lower tier divisions all have more than a 4 team playoff and I think those student athletes can afford to miss class less than then D1 kids can.  I don't know if the #'s match up but I would say go for a 32 team playoff and use the current bowls as sites.  I think that would have 31 games, and there are slightly more bowl games than that so you would have to drop a few bowl games.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, burghfan said:

Anybody other than OSU being the B1G champ would make me happy.

Pitt has a chance to be the ACC champion, that is even more insane than NW being the B1G champ.

The conference championship games are like the conference tournaments in mens basketball where the best team during the regular season may not be the conference champion.

The argument against an 8 team playoff is the additional classes missed and it would hurt the bowl system.  The lower tier divisions all have more than a 4 team playoff and I think those student athletes can afford to miss class less than then D1 kids can.  I don't know if the #'s match up but I would say go for a 32 team playoff and use the current bowls as sites.  I think that would have 31 games, and there are slightly more bowl games than that so you would have to drop a few bowl games.

The thing to iron out with changing the format is that finals will be going on the next two weeks before break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stolen from someone somewhere on the internet because it made me laugh:

GO CATS!!

But if a Northwestern victory can't be in the cards, then I want absolute CHAOS:  

Alabama loses in OT on a bad call . . . OU and OSU win with style . . . UCF wins by 100 . . . then let them all rip each other's eyes out for that last slot and blow the whole F-ing thing up.

The committee and the media show their SEC bias and pick Alabama.  Of the five P5 conferences, only two are represented in the entire College Football Playoff. 

Thermonuclear chaos ensues.  We use the warmth of the afterglow to heat our popcorn as we watch the carnage.  Jim Delaney bites the head off a live committee member on national TV.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, WhereLoveRuled said:

Alabama game was egregious officiating. Another year, another CFP not watched by me. Saban is ruining college football.

It's not Saban, it's the powers that be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michigan plays Florida in the Peach Bowl again.  Boring. 

They should have had Florida play UCF - it would have been much more interesting if 2 Florida schools were playing each other. That would leave UM playing LSU which would have been more interesting than seeing UM play Florida for the second year in a row. 

Saban is evil and so is the SEC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the bright side, OSU got left out of the championship games for the second year in a row. That's your silver lining right there.  Urban Meyer is way more evil than Nick Saban. And that is saying a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

@Wasted in the heat,Georgia should be in the playoff's. They are the second best team in college football. Right? 

They are, but they should not be in the playoff.  Had their chance and blew it.  I might feel differently if Georgia hadn't also lost to LSU.  If they were undefeated coming into the SEC championship and then their only loss was a close game to Bama they would have a more legit beef with the committee.  Until they expand to and 8 team playoff which I think will happen someday soon, non-conference champions should be eliminated from consideration IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.