Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

8 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Might as well.

Bruce's new single isn't very good to the extent that I've already forgotten what it's called. 

to be honest i love it and gave listened to it about 10 times and 3 times the video but i can't remember the other world thats not sunshine :lol:

its hello :lol:

9 hours ago, Silvia said:

Oh, c'mon.

You'll be raving about it in ten years time, when it'll be released in the achieve series. :)

Don't feel left out. I think many are not so thrilled, but don't want to stand out.

Yeah.  Those that don't rave about everything and often offer an 'alternative view' of things tend to get rounded upon and have the p*** taken.

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Yeah.  Those that don't rave about everything and often offer an 'alternative view' of things tend to get rounded upon and have the p*** taken.

the cool aid drinkers get knocked about quite alot too

its eaiser to just leave things unsaid i have learned

• Like 1

im selfishly happy SOB is behind us just so i can enjoy this, that is next

it was great to be glad for everyone going and i was genuinely happy for everyone and i hated how hard it wss for you to get tickets 

but we had no SLV

it just all seemed distant and not inclusive, which isnt how it usually feels in this community 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I don't like his singing and the lyrics feel uninspired to me. 

I asked you for your explanation because I find your reviews fascinating, especially how you always try to look at both the upsides and downsides of everything you write about. With HS, it sounded as you had just dismissed the song altogether. And when you say you don't' like his singing, I have to agree with you. Someone posted on the HS thread that his singing is lazy, and I tend to agree, although I like the song.
When it comes to criticism on GL, I  think it is necessary and usually well received, especially when it is explained properly. I can't imagine this place without critique, satire, and humor. 

All the buildup of the anticipation yesterday, sharing the excitement, it has all affected those positive reviews... We felt connected and it's been a long time, so I think all the enthusiasm is quite understandable. 
Wait a week or two for the euphoria to settle down, then we'll be getting more balanced reviews. 

Since this is the unpopular opinions thread, I love the horse on the cover.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I asked you for your explanation because I find your reviews fascinating, especially how you always try to look at both the upsides and downsides of everything you write about. With HS, it sounded as you had just dismissed the song altogether. And when you say you don't' like his singing, I have to agree with you. Someone posted on the HS thread that his singing is lazy, and I tend to agree, although I like the song.
When it comes to criticism on GL, I  think it is necessary and usually well received, especially when it is explained properly. I can't imagine this place without critique, satire, and humor. 

All the buildup of the anticipation yesterday, sharing the excitement, it has all affected those positive reviews... We felt connected and it's been a long time, so I think all the enthusiasm is quite understandable. 
Wait a week or two for the euphoria to settle down, then we'll be getting more balanced reviews. 

Since this is the unpopular opinions thread, I love the horse on the cover.  

Yeah, his singing's lazy, but not I-don't-care-lazy, it's more - to quote Faith No More (although I'm really quoting Lionel Richie/The Commodores... :wacko:) lazy like Sunday morning. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

it was great to be glad for everyone going and i was genuinely happy for everyone and i hated how hard it wss for you to get tickets 

but we had no SLV

it just all seemed distant and not inclusive, which isnt how it usually feels in this community 

Glad you said it, we can put that into the annals of history and eventually we can look at SOB more objectively. I felt frustrated by not being able to afford the ticket / travel etc and became a ittle annoyed toward the end when competitions were fleecing people for the last shows and it became a celebrity watch event. Invariably the celebrity would meet Bruce back stage and said celebrity would put a picture on their twitter feed, then Netflix rubbed our noses in it!. All the 'it was the greatest show he's ever done' bollox too, almost as a justification,  every show we attend is special to the individua and inclusive and I prefer the 'normal' Springsteen shows anyway.... SOB was far from inclusive but was exclusive and Im  very glad its all over.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2

6 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Glad you said it, we can put that into the annals of history and eventually we can look at SOB more objectively. I felt frustrated by not being able to afford the ticket / travel etc and became a ittle annoyed toward the end when competitions were fleecing people for the last shows and it became a celebrity watch event. Invariably the celebrity would meet Bruce back stage and said celebrity would put a picture on their twitter feed, then Netflix rubbed our noses in it!. All the 'it was the greatest show he's ever done' bollox too, almost as a justification,  every show we attend is special to the individua and inclusive and I prefer the 'normal' Springsteen shows anyway.... SOB was far from inclusive but was exclusive and Im  very glad its all over.

im so sorry you didn't get to go

i think even if i had won lotto i would have had a heart related medical event trying for a ticket 

i like to think of our communal fandom as this train

all the carrages are the diffetent records and you can hang out in the 1978 era carrage or move up the train to hang out in WOAD or where ever you want. there are no classes, all are welcome everywhere regardless of age or income or occupation - i mean President Obama, Prince Harry (probably neither on GL :lol:) you and me - the dustman, the vetern, the lawyer, teacher, policeman, shop assistant, school kid - everyone's fandom is important and we can all rub shoulders in the crush of some of those characters (or sit alone or together in the GOTJ carrage :lol:)

but Springsteen on Broadway 

that was a carrage like of which Queen Victoria would have traveled 

it was on the back of the train and we could see our friends and were happy for them,  but you and me - we were way down the track on one of those hand jigger things, we tried and tried but without even set list vision we just could not catch this train, even when it pulled into a sidding at night and we enjoyed our friend's happiness but that carrage was so stuffed full of the rich and famouse (varified fans) there was no room on the carrage for us. even NJ natives with season passes had trouble getting into that carrage

for a train that was upholstered in inclusion and togetherness we didn't feel welcome in this opulent carrage

Netflrx was like an open day at the transport museum but we did at least get a steam around some track 

anyway now we can park the jigger up because a new carrage is on the back of the train and although i will not get to a show (hopefully you will) at least we are on this train and from the first peek in the door it seems like a great carrage

3056669963_a723553bff_b.thumb.jpg.8a32170a72e702a51368c574de24695e.jpg

you and me chassing the train

medium_NRM_115_79.jpg

SOB

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Glad you said it, we can put that into the annals of history and eventually we can look at SOB more objectively. I felt frustrated by not being able to afford the ticket / travel etc and became a ittle annoyed toward the end when competitions were fleecing people for the last shows and it became a celebrity watch event. Invariably the celebrity would meet Bruce back stage and said celebrity would put a picture on their twitter feed, then Netflix rubbed our noses in it!. All the 'it was the greatest show he's ever done' bollox too, almost as a justification,  every show we attend is special to the individua and inclusive and I prefer the 'normal' Springsteen shows anyway.... SOB was far from inclusive but was exclusive and Im  very glad its all ove

SOB was way down on my top bruce shows and one of my memories was all the dressed up women holding the playbill in front of the stage for photos because it was an  "i was there" show for so many people, not for the content.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

but we had no SLV

I completely get this Daisey. I went, loved it and it was one of my best Springsteen experiences. However, it did feel as if too many genuine fans were excluded, which isn't what we are used to.

I too am pleased it is over. I am pleased he didn't travel with the show (I never thought he would) and am happy that we have new music which we can all share and be excited about.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kent Guitar said:

Bobbie Jean is unmusical sentimental claptrap, and No Surrender is unfit to be on any record.

Oh my LOL.  No Surrender is the track that made me a fan and is still one of the greatest songs ever recorded by anyone in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

22 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

I completely get this Daisey. I went, loved it and it was one of my best Springsteen experiences. However, it did feel as if too many genuine fans were excluded, which isn't what we are used to.

I too am pleased it is over. I am pleased he didn't travel with the show (I never thought he would) and am happy that we have new music which we can all share and be excited about.

i wish we could have had SLV for your show - propper SLV

i don't need it streamed from someone's pocket but i would have loved to have known when he was singing BTR

i know it wasn't ths right kind of show for this but i just missed the community feel that we enjoyed with the river tour not that long before

im glad you understand because. i mean no disrespect and i loved it when our GL friends got to go

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

The River revisit tour was the worst of his career.

There should never be another stadium E Street Tour. 

There should never be another indoor E Street Tour if he’s just going to rehash the same old setlist approach he’s been doing for the past god knows how many years.

1) Not the worst, but certainly the most weird.

Agree with points 2) and 3).

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, Promise61 said:

10 minutes ago, HeartFullOfSoul said:

Mary Queen of Arkansas is Fantastic.

7 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

As is The Angel.

I would not call them 'fantastic' but both are good and beautiful songs and better songs than (allmost) all, sometimes much praised, unreleased pre-Greetings songs (The songs known from the various semi-legal releases in the 90s).

They really selected the best songs from that era for inclusion on Greetings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

SOB was way down on my top bruce shows and one of my memories was all the dressed up women holding the playbill in front of the stage for photos because it was an  "i was there" show for so many people, not for the content.

Geez that would have wound me up!!!! Hit the nail on the head there I think!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

The River revisit tour was the worst of his career.

There should never be another stadium E Street Tour. 

There should never be another indoor E Street Tour if he’s just going to rehash the same old setlist approach he’s been doing for the past god knows how many years.

that's always going to be my biggesr regret - not getting to a river show

i have every download

the US shows are to die for - both legs 

i just wanted my kitty and 78 intro but the summer tour was nothing like the river although we did get the left over merch

its taking me a long time to get over that

3 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

bitches

• Haha 1