Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

4 minutes ago, misty rain said:

I'm not so sure he invented it. Someone on the Dark Side suggested it might have come from the Bible. Proverbs 20:17 says, 

"Bread of deceit is sweet to a man; but afterwards his mouth shall be filled with gravel."

That's awesome.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

i get what he means but why not say something like a nasty taste or similar which you can associate with, rather than invent something. i also get the boots but it is a comical thought. coming in house with my shoes on is a no no so i does make me laugh, which takes away from the rest, distracting if you like

Because it's a metaphor. 
The boots line is also a metaphor, but it's less successful precisely because we do associate with it. 
Because unfortunately we make the wrong associations and take it literally!  :lol:
IMO that would also happen if he'd used your suggestion instead of 'stones'.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Because it's a metaphor. 
The boots line is also a metaphor, but it's less successful precisely because we do associate with it. 
Because unfortunately we make the wrong associations and take it literally!  :lol:
IMO that would also happen if he'd used your suggestion instead of 'stones'.

Which he did already- Lonesome Day:

Better ask questions before you shoot
Deceit and betrayal's bitter fruit
It's hard to swallow, come time to pay
That taste on your tongue don't easily slip away

53 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

i get what he means but why not say something like a nasty taste or similar which you can associate with, rather than invent something. i also get the boots but it is a comical thought. coming in house with my shoes on is a no no so i does make me laugh, which takes away from the rest, distracting if you like

I think the “ stones in my mouth..” line is an uncomfortable, dirty image that makes me grimace a bit. Especially the idea of spitting them out just for them to return again.

Like something out of a short, foreboding horror story.

I think that’s exactly how it’s meant to make you feel too.

Brilliant line. Brilliant song. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, misty rain said:

Which he did already- Lonesome Day:

Better ask questions before you shoot
Deceit and betrayal's bitter fruit
It's hard to swallow, come time to pay
That taste on your tongue don't easily slip away

True, but the metaphor is spelled out there.  "I woke up this morning with a bad taste in my mouth"  could be taken literally.

7 minutes ago, Rizla said:

True, but the metaphor is spelled out there.  "I woke up this morning with a bad taste in my mouth"  could be taken literally.

The above is a run-of-the-mill statement. The "stones in my mouth" are a poetic expression which leaves you with images: How uncomfortable that would feel (should feel because you lied), how weighed down you would be, how tongue-tied when accused because you could not speak...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

The above is a run-of-the-mill statement. The "stones in my mouth" are a poetic expression which leaves you with images: How uncomfortable that would feel (should feel because you lied), how weighed down you would be, how tongue-tied when accused because you could not speak...

The awful aftertaste... 

On 4/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, phantomengineer said:

I've railed on about this before but I think saying "overrated" takes away the "just a personal opinion" aspect and states that everyone else has rated the thing incorrectly. As in their opinion, and ratting, is wrong. I try not to use the "O" word in stating opinion. But that's just my opinion.

Bang on.  I try to never use overrated or underrated, implies fans are somehow getting their views "wrong."  

Silly.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

has no one here never come home soooo tired from work they went to sleep with their boots on ? too tired to even get under the covers ?

mind you i stuck my feet over the side because it would be uncoth to put footwear on the bed

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

And I think that's exactly what Bruce was going for.

his characters are tired (not necessarily defeated) on this record 

bone weary 

im so happy you see it too Hero

its making me tired just remembering it 

i used to walk home from the garden centre because i was too scrooge  to pay bus fair and i had to walk a 3rd of the way home (but in the other direction) to find a bus stop anyway

after a really hard physical day in the sun with alot of heavy lifting my feet would drag

id get to the end of my street which had a cricket ground and a big Powhotakawa tree out the front of the clubhouse

id have to force myself to keep walking and resist the urge to sit down under that tree 

7 hours ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

Part A) The Ghost of Tom Joad is in his top 5 albums, B) Its Better than Nebraska, C) Its his Best album since The River

Part A) Agreed  

The other two parts are debatable. I would say it is on a level with Nebraska rather than being better. 

On 8/28/2019 at 6:58 PM, rosiejaneymary said:

I agree with you 100%.  That line stops you in your tracks.  

That’s how I’ve always taken it.  That her life is so sad, she just hates she was even born.  

I’ve never ever thought it was grammatically incorrect or made little sense.  Following the previous line in the song, to me, it makes perfect sense.  And as Ann said above, I too feel it’s one of the best lines he’s ever written. 

I think it's significant that he says she has the eyes of one who hates for just being born.

She doesn't "hate" per se she has just become........I dunno inured to happiness?

Life's worn her down, she's getting on with it while she used to share in the narrator's "glories".

He's getting through life's disappointment by clinging to past glories, she's being the grown up and dealing with the real world, and also dealing with the risks the narrator takes.

So I think the "eyes" line is physically descriptive, rather than emotionally interpretive.

I reckon dep down she'd love to revisit past times also, but knows these days are gone.......and can't be recaptured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

I think Bruce is a knob 'ead for not remixing The River album when he had the chance. It's the worst sounding of all his albums. Funny how all the outtakes from those sessions sound brilliant.

It's my favourite Bruce album, and I agree with you.

The mix and production are not very good. Has that tinny sound. Maybe it was always meant to be like that though ? Bruce said he wanted the album to sound like a great garage band playing live.

• Like 1