Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

He is very boring when being interviewed.

Wrecking Ball tour one of his best ever...the horn section and backing singers enhanced the songs and the whole live experience hugely.

Working on a Dream is an excellent album....easily  his most melodic and varied record.

The Rising would have been a masterpiece had he dropped four songs from it. Too many fillers.

His acoustic quieter songs are his most powerful.

His rocked up versions of original acoustic songs are not very good.

He made a huge mistake breaking up the E Street Band in 1989.

He won't tour the world again with the ESB...the River 2016 tour was the band's farewell to the fans.

His singing voice has got much better as he has got older.

Just like Fire would is one of his best ever covers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

- The RiverTunnel of LoveWrecking Ball, Reunion. All better tours than Darkness.

- "Kitty's Back" is dull and plodding.  

- "Waitin' on a Sunny Day" is a fun, snappy little song. It's not a bad song by default because some little bairns are shite singers.

- "The Ghost of Tom Joad" with Tommy Morello is far superior to the original version. 

That's it off the top of my head for now. 

Adamantly disagree with every point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Out In The Street 
Hungry Heart 
No Surrender 
The Promised Land 
Working On The Highway 
Darlington County 

Have all been vastly overplayed the last six years in live shows. 

The River Tour redux was poorly put together and the shows lacked any real variety, even the ones after the full album. The full album shows were a bad idea as it sapped Bruce's creativity. He also seemed confined by it and offered very little setlist variation. 

Nebraska album tracks have been extremely underplayed in the reunion era outside of the D&D tour. 

"Human Touch", "Soul Driver", "Cross My Heart" "With Every Wish", "Roll of the Dice," "Man's Job", and "I Wish I Were Blind" are all awesome songs.

The Lucky Town album is brilliant.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

- The RiverTunnel of LoveWrecking Ball, Reunion. All better tours than Darkness.

1- How old are you?

2- Did you attend any Darkness shows?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

The River Tour redux was poorly put together and the shows lacked any real variety, even the ones after the full album. The full album shows were a bad idea as it sapped Bruce's creativity. He also seemed confined by it and offered very little setlist variation. 

I would agree with this up to a point.  The shows got much better once the band went to Europe and on the third leg back in the States they were brilliant.  That being said, it was totally a nostalgia tour, which is lame.  And arguably both the Reunion tour and the Working On A Dream tour were nostalgia tours, so this was like the third time around. 

Bruce is at his best when he has new material to tour behind.  The Wrecking Ball tour, for example, was outstanding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MacBruce said:

He is very boring when being interviewed.

Wrecking Ball tour one of his best ever...the horn section and backing singers enhanced the songs and the whole live experience hugely.

Working on a Dream is an excellent album....easily  his most melodic and varied record.

The Rising would have been a masterpiece had he dropped four songs from it. Too many fillers.

His acoustic quieter songs are his most powerful.

His rocked up versions of original acoustic songs are not very good.

He made a huge mistake breaking up the E Street Band in 1989.

He won't tour the world again with the ESB...the River 2016 tour was the band's farewell to the fans.

His singing voice has got much better as he has got older.

Just like Fire would is one of his best ever covers.

image.thumb.png.559354bffb8d9f21b4d4ab9835a3e9e4.png

I generally don't listen to the live shows on E Street Radio. 25% of it is just crowd noise, and the music has too much feedback to sound enjoyable. And, Bruce will often vary considerably from studio versions, making it hard to sing along to.

Bottom line: Attending a concert is great. Listening to it on the radio, meh.

(That's not to say I don't like Bruce live. Some of his live albums are amazing and there are a few songs from Live in NYC 2001 and Live 1975-85 that I won't listen to anywhere else.)

• Like 1

Never liked NYCS, don't really care much for his first 2 albums as compared to the rest and yeah don't like Seeger Sessions either. Even more of a shocker.. it was the video of Dancing in the dark that made me a Springsteen fan

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ludomichel said:

I can't stand the live version of Because The Night (at least as it's been played for the last twenty years). What was a great subtle love songs has been turned into a weighty monster.

KInd of agree with that. I would also have a similar view about Atlantic City and Youngstown...both briliiantly powerful songs in their original simple acoustic format and have become weighty, overwrought plodders in concert in their rocked up versions with the band and the impact of the lyrics have been lost somewhat. I know I am in a bit of a minority with that view but it's how I feel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1