CrushOnOutlawPete

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I think Bruce is a knob 'ead for not remixing The River album when he had the chance. It's the worst sounding of all his albums. Funny how all the outtakes from those sessions sound brilliant.

Really?  My award for that goes to Magic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rizla said:

Oh please, let's not argue. They both sound bad.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, Nausikaa said:

In a similar vein, "Backstreets" is massively better without the Sad Eyes interlude.

This has been discussed a lot in various threads but bears repeating. The Sad Eyes thing just kills the momentum of the "78 Backstreets. Please, spare me your counter arguments. Or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Aye, that too.

:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Swineberg said:

"Human Touch" is not a bad album.

I’ll go you one better.  I think it’s a great album.  Lucky Town as well.  

• Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, Mac Swineberg said:

"Human Touch" is not a bad album.

That is not an unpopular opinion....

But saying it is a great album...only with the secreet limited edition which does not have the last 3 songs.

• Haha 1

Human Touch, apart from the title track, by far is the worst album Bruce made. Which makes it harder to believe it outsold WS by far, though times surely have changed yeah. It is a too smooth production, it really is over-produced and it sounds as if it just rolled out of a computer. Songwise, it does have some nice tunes, HT being by far superior and thus it is an album which I haven't played in quite a while, i.e. years really. And no, really don't miss it in my collection.

And Bruce himself looked back on this period as lost years, which should say enough. Twin brother Lucky Town is much better though it can't compete with the other stuff.

But of course, this is merely an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

44 minutes ago, dutchbeat said:

But of course, this is merely an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

To which you are of course entitled! 

I personally don’t agree, as I love most everything on both LT and HT.  

But again, your opinion is your opinion! 

55 minutes ago, dutchbeat said:

Which makes it harder to believe it outsold WS by far, though times surely have changed yeah.

Different times, different music market. Bruce Springsteen, still a big name, returning with not one but two new studio albums, after 4 years of silence, with heavy media attention for both albums and tour (of course for media even more different times than for music).

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 11:46 AM, Lampi said:

That is not an unpopular opinion....

But saying it is a great album...only with the secreet limited edition which does not have the last 3 songs.

Human Touch is far from his best but there are a few top tier quality songs. The worst songs on HT (Real Man, Pony Boy) are the lowest point of his career though. I personally like the sound of HT better than Lucky Town. The songs themselves are overall stronger on LT, but the recordings sound a bit rushed.

17 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I personally don’t agree, as I love most everything on both LT and HT.  

bit like the river for me,. too many fillers, one cracking album could have been out of the the two, in my opinion.

• Like 1

bot really sure this belongs here but  do you think that Bruces output over the last few years SOB , Western Stars  album and movie is so far removed from what has gone before, is a search for recognition of his work etc. I know to us and many musicians he is the best but I watch a lot of music docs re rock music and he is very very rarely mentioned in the same breath as the likes of the stones, zeppelin, bowie etc seldom does he come up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

bit like the river for me,. too many fillers, one cracking album could have been out of the the two, in my opinion.

Again, your opinion is your opinion, and I’m sure there are others who feel the same.  

However, can’t say I personally agree... there’s nothing I hate or dislike; only a very few I could take or leave.  Love allllll the rest.  

Or a killer double album with songs like most of those from the sessions on disc two of Tracks substituted for the weaker songs on there.

• Like 2

bot really sure this belongs here but  do you think that Bruces output over the last few years SOB , Western Stars  album and movie is so far removed from what has gone before, is a search for recognition of his work etc.

Yes, I agree.  Everything for the past decade, almost, has been looking back or inward.

High Hopes was a round up of detritus, the The River box is self explanatory, The River Tour had nothing new.  Then the book, SOB,  and even Western Stars revisited old material.  BBTL put him firmly back in a time warp of mullets, cassettes and sleeveless shirts like some sort of artefact.  The rumour is that there is a box set in the planning that will be even more retrospective stuff.

And now we hear that Western Stars The Movie is very inward looking too.  Some of the Bruce quotes I've heard and read suddenly appear to reveal Bruce aware of his own mortality as if it is something that is no longer further on up the road but just around the corner.  I know that myself and @janeymarywendy touched on this a while ago in another thread that garnered no other opinions, but it really feels like there is a load of housekeeping going on over there.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

but don't you find after the 2016 river album that there are no fillers or fluff on that double album ?

well my unpooular option is i was dissapointed in the blinded by the light movie - the 2nd half was kinda good 

i mean it was better than Springsteen and I

but it just didn't overly resonate with me

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

bot really sure this belongs here but  do you think that Bruces output over the last few years SOB , Western Stars  album and movie is so far removed from what has gone before, is a search for recognition of his work etc. I know to us and many musicians he is the best but I watch a lot of music docs re rock music and he is very very rarely mentioned in the same breath as the likes of the stones, zeppelin, bowie etc seldom does he come up.

who are zeppelin and Bowie ?

:lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, USAman said:

Side 1 of WIESS is boring and overrated

Partly agree with this. Not keen on E Street Shuffle or Kitty's Back, but love Wild Billy and Sandy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

but don't you find after the 2016 river album that there are no fillers or fluff on that double album ?

i presume you mean the 2016 river tour Daisey, and you make a very good point live  and as whole album it is very much better, but not everybody had the luck to hear the whole album

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

i presume you mean the 2016 river tour Daisey, and you make a very good point live  and as whole album it is very much better, but not everybody had the luck to hear the whole album

i sure didn't  (still a bit of a big bear to me as we got a GHs tour - its my stuck record winge im afraid and im still having trouble getting over it)

but i very much enjoyed the actual river anniversary tour anyway thanks to my saviour Nugs and those full album shows were stella

im really sorry the rest of the world (except Paris ? ) lucked out 

those American shows both legs were phonimial and its my one big regreat not being able to get to a date on that tour

i can live with not doing SOB, but the river still hurts like a fresh burn 

and im really glad all the people that got to those shows got there, and at least we had the community of SLV here on GL

but sometimes i feel a bit down living my fandom through other people's nights out 

19 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

I agree with a good bit of that..especially the last part. I think he is frustrated at his status in music history not being higher than it is given his brilliant output over nearly 50 years....I feel the same way. Of course I believe that he should be right at the top of the pile, but the general consensus outwith his fanbase (such as on this site) is that he doesn't merit the same recognition and status in music history for his work as the artists you mention. Much of this in my opinion has been down to a real lack of mainstream exposure for most of his career and hence we have recently seen movies, retros, the River 2016 tour, the SOB introspective which was also filmed for Netflix. I do think you have a point that this has possibly been done in a late career effort to get the recognition and status in music history that his phenomenal work deserves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

well my unpooular option is i was dissapointed in the blinded by the light movie - the 2nd half was kinda good 

i mean it was better than Springsteen and I

but it just didn't overly resonate with me

I wonder what sort of film you were expecting Daisey ?...it was teenage coming of age movie set in mid 80's England. It just so happened that the main characters life was changed by the music and lyrics of our hero. It was never going to be another Shawshank Redemption. It was a low budget, feel-good movie for our time. I thought it was surprisingly moving to be honest and well acted. The film was so much better that I thought it was going to be having read the book and listened to all the build-up.

• Like 1