Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

12 minutes ago, Nicholas said:

Take aim, everybody.

I have always found "Factory" to be a real snoozer of a song. It appreciate the sentiments about how the working life effectively sucked the soul out of his father, and I can sympathize with how hard that must have been to witness. Musically, however, has always had SUCH a boring/silly arrangement.

I always thought this was intentional. To emphasize the monotonous sound of the machines. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Ramrod is a poor song,should never have been in the setlists let alone the encores.

Yeah as Lampi said... that’s for sure a very unpopular opinion!  

It’s personally one of my all time favorites.  Love it to bits! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Don't know if he was afraid to oversaturate, I mean...the 12" remixes? :P but I see your point. Even though TR was his biggest selling record before BITUSA, I think BITUSA was mostly thought of as a single album, it would most likely be easier for it to becone a hit recird - a bigger hit record at least - than another double. I'm guessing there were people at CBS who may have been thinking along the same lines, too.

Well between 1984-1988 he released 2 number one studio albums, 2 worldwide tours (3 if you count the human rights tour) a huge live box set along with about a dozen top ten hits. And that’s not to mention the remixes :D. I wasn’t alive then but I imagine he was constantly in the spotlight between those years.

I suppose he could have released an album with the outtakes in the meantime but I don’t know when that would have been. But you’re right, a double album wouldn’t have been as a big of a hit. Many of the outtakes got performed on the tour and were released as B-sides anyway. Many of the great outtakes were unlikely to be chart toppers.

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

that ramrod on LINYC opened my eyes to a side of Bruce had not yet discovered (fun)

I was never a fan of Ramrod until LINYC. Based off boots I’ve heard, I actually consider the reunion tour to be in his top 3 tours.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

6 hours ago, Nicholas said:

Take aim, everybody.

I have always found "Factory" to be a real snoozer of a song. It appreciate the sentiments about how the working life effectively sucked the soul out of his father, and I can sympathize with how hard that must have been to witness. Musically, however, has always had SUCH a boring/silly arrangement.

Have you heard Lucinda Williams cover?

20 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Unpopular opinion!:D

What’s the general consensus regarding the reunion tour? The darkness tour is usually considered to be the best, which is hard to argue with, but it seems like everyone has a different opinion on the others

1 hour ago, Declansk said:

What’s the general consensus regarding the reunion tour?

My post was a little bit tongue-in-cheek, but:

Reunion Tour seems to be loved by most fans, also because of the very good reception for the Chicago 1999 show in the Archive Series at the time of its release. Many fans have very good memories of that tour. So maybe not that many for who it is top 3 of all tours ever (but that is only speculating), but top 3 of tours you saw in person, that is quite something different.

Well. Maybe your opinion is not an unpopular opinion after all.:)

Edit: a few other things: for many fans the Reunion Tour was something very special:

It was the first tour with the ESB since 1988, after years when it was quite uncertain if Bruce would ever play with the ESB again (and not knowing yet [in 1999-2000] what would follow the next 20 years).

It was really a tour for the fans, with many rarities and songs which had not been played live in a (very) long time; songs fans could only dream of to ever hear live, and then on this tour you could hear not one bucket list song but quite a few of them during only one show.

And all shows were indoors (I think one show in Germany was an outdoor show, but not in a stadium).

49 minutes ago, Declansk said:

What’s the general consensus regarding the reunion tour? The darkness tour is usually considered to be the best, which is hard to argue with, but it seems like everyone has a different opinion on the others

I consider the Reunion Tour and Magic Tour (2007 leg) as his best 2 tours of the past 20 years.  Solid, steady, and compact setlists, no kids on the mic, minimal “Boss mode” tomfoolery, and the presence of a theme to the show.

I realize that 1978 is viewed as an act of God around here, but was it really objectively better than The River Tour (1980-1)?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I realize that 1978 is viewed as an act of God around here, but was it really objectively better than The River Tour (1980-1)?

Those on this forum who saw both Darkness Tour and River Tour in person seem to think so.

About your other point, I would add the 2002 shows, which also had, as you say, solid, steady and compact setlists and a theme to the show. Short and intense shows, just like in 2007.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Those on this forum who saw both Darkness Tour and River Tour in person seem to think so.

About your other point, I would add the 2002 shows, which also had, as you say, solid, steady and compact setlists and a theme to the show. Short and intense shows, just like in 2007.

I almost mentioned 2002... but “Glory Days” just sucks to listen to on a live recording (regardless of the tour).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Declansk said:

It was certainly the tour where Bruce carried the most weight. He must be two stone heavier than he is now.

9 hours ago, badlands78 said:

No.:P

For all its glory, the Darkness shows are too similar. Besides, the The River tour gave us the greatest Bruce show of all time.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lampi said:

And all shows were indoors (I think one show in Germany was an outdoor show, but not in a stadium).

Nope. A lot of the summer Euro shows were outdoors, and quite a few were held at a stadium (Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo to name 3).

16 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Nope. A lot of the summer Euro shows were outdoors, and quite a few were held at a stadium (Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo to name 3).

Nice.

So once again proof that even if for some very, very strange reasons some people seem to think otherwise, I don't know everything.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

agree really cant do with the sunny day kids, or the DITD carry on either for that matter, snore time

DITD was better in 2002.

Sunny Day also BTW.

Edit: this not meant to be as an unpopular opinion. Saying you like the Sunny Day kids, now that is an unpopular opinion.

But even Sunny Day kids versions of Sunny Day are enjoyable UNTIL the Sunny Day starts singing (or is that a slightly unpopular opinion?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Edit: this not meant to be as an unpopular opinion. Saying you like the Sunny Day kids, now that is an unpopular opinion.

Ok. I love Sunny Day and really like the Sunny Day kids.  As do most of my life long Bruce fans.  

I think they’re adorable, and I LOVE his face when he watches them. 

Now their parents on the other hand can often be quite obnoxious.  

Now he if drops the song and/or the kids, that’s fine by me.  But if he keeps the song and/or the kids, that’s fine by me as well. 

Another unpopular opinion... I also love DITD live.  I prefer the acoustic version, and if he stopped playing it I’d be more than ok, but in all honesty I would miss it.  

20 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I consider the Reunion Tour and Magic Tour (2007 leg) as his best 2 tours of the past 20 years.  Solid, steady, and compact setlists, no kids on the mic, minimal “Boss mode” tomfoolery, and the presence of a theme to the show.

Badlands80, congrats on your new nick :P

I saw ONE Darkness show and SIX River tour shows 1980-81  (guess where I live)

I remember so much about the Darkness show, and the River shows are a blur. I know I liked them, and Darkness was first

If only I could go back and see them all again, then I could make a definitive report...I'll need tickets and a time machine

Ok forget the tickets, I'll take my chances with scalpers out front

But I will not do that for BITUSA, I remember going at last minute with no ticket 100,000 seat stadium

I got in because GOD loves me, there can be no other reason, 9 people did not get in 

It ranked below Darkness and RIVER but who cares. I was there!! :lol:

• Like 3