CrushOnOutlawPete

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

22 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Another unpopular opinion... I also love DITD live.

Is that really an unpopular opinion?

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

Is that really an unpopular opinion?

Not amongst my long time Bruce Buds.  In fact, DITD is one of my buds’ all time favorite.  And yes, she’s been a die hard fan since the 70s.  

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d say around here it is. 

26 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

It ranked below Darkness and RIVER but who cares. I was there!! :lol:

and how do you rank the Tunnel Tour in this? [if you saw that tour]

4 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Nope. A lot of the summer Euro shows were outdoors, and quite a few were held at a stadium (Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo to name 3).

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

Nice.So once again proof that even if for some very, very strange reasons some people seem to think otherwise, I don't know everything.

...and maybe also I should not read and post on Greasy Lake after 2.00.A.M., while thinking about the 9.00 A.M. Monday Morning Meeting at work.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Promise61 said:

It was certainly the tour where Bruce carried the most weight. He must be two stone heavier than he is now.

:lol:. Maybe so, but the shows were extremely tight musically. Great set lists and the tour has the definitive versions of Youngstown, If I Shall Fall Behind, LOHAD, Two Hearts and several others which I’m forgetting at the moment. I also love the NYC “diss” on Light of Day on LINYC. It was nice to hear different versions of The River and BITUSA, even if they are inferior to their original arrangements.

21 hours ago, Lampi said:

It was the first tour with the ESB since 1988, after years when it was quite uncertain if Bruce would ever play with the ESB again (and not knowing yet [in 1999-2000] what would follow the next 20 years).

It was really a tour for the fans, with many rarities and songs which had not been played live in a (very) long time; songs fans could only dream of to ever hear live, and then on this tour you could hear not one bucket list song but quite a few of them during only one show.

And all shows were indoors (I think one show in Germany was an outdoor show, but not in a stadium).

This. It must have been great to see them together again after a 10 year hiatus. They all seemed very happy as well. My parents attended several shows. Although the tour had no official album, the set lists were heavily based around Tracks which only came out a few months prior to the tour, which was why there were likely so many rarities.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Declansk said:

the set lists were heavily based around Tracks

Well in fact they were not, and for sure not after the European Tour.

• Like 1

Not to sound morbid, but I’ve always wondered that if the 9/11/2001 attacks and The Rising never happened, then what would have become of the ESB as a recording and/or touring machine post-2000?

A new album with the pre 9/11 Rising songs, and some others.

Difficult to say what other songs; maybe some unknown 90s songs now in the vaults, or some songs which were never written because Bruce wrote the post 9/11 Rising songs instead. Maybe an ESB attempt at some of the Devils & Dust songs, which were all written in the mid to late 90s, except the title song and except- maybe- Maria's Bed (not clear when Maria's Bed was written).[this all speculation].

And Harry's Place; but then Harry's Place and Mary's Place on the same album...probably not.

....or maybe Devils & Dust album and tour in 2002-2003...

....or maybe Seeger album and tour in 2002-2003.

Anyway. At some point there would have been a new Bruce Springsteen & The ESB album, when the time was ready; Neil Young & Crazy Horse-style.

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

Not to sound morbid, but I’ve always wondered that if the 9/11/2001 attacks and The Rising never happened, then what would have become of the ESB as a recording and/or touring machine post-2000?

interesting sinareo 

i reacon the lives of 3000 people, goodness know how many American and allied young lives lost in the war on terror and not forgetting all the pallava we all now have to go through to get on an airplane would be worth it

to erase that most terrible day from the world's history

i bet Bruce would do it in a heartbeat if he could

Bruce's creative juices would have just flowed in a different direction

i understand the rising was maybe a revival of his career catapulting him back into the mainstream

would he have the expanded fan base he still has today ?

i think so because of his touring

i actually had no idea how popular the rising was till i went to Moncton and everyone was singing it ! 

well i would have still got LINYC for Christmas 

i think by now in 2019 this alternative reality would have evened out and we'd still have verified fans and SOB

in the intervening years we would still have had our ongoing conversations with Bruce about the difference between the American dream and the American reality

a different route to the same destination 

he and the band love performing live

Compaired to other acts, Bruce is very fortunate his fan base wants, expects and demands new material 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, took me long enough said:

I have absolutely no desire to see Blinded By the Light.  

even with the milk duds to go in the popcorn ? :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Dancing in the Dark is a great song

Again, is that really an unpopular opinion?

47 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Again, is that really an unpopular opinion?

Again, I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion  (just way toooooo overplayed on the radio, especially in the 80s!) out in the world, but I’ve heard tons of negative comments over the years here on the Lake about DITD.  

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I’ve heard tons of negative comments over the years here on the Lake about DITD.  

About the video...Bruce Springsteen's worst video ever.

About all the girls on stage during live performances.

About the 12" dance remixes.

There is nothing wrong with the song itself.

56 minutes ago, Lampi said:

happily go along with all that, all cringeworthy for me

54 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Vid doesn’t bother me.  Neither does the dancing on stage.  It’s all in fun.  Could’ve lived nicely without the remix, but whatever.  

I agree with you that there’s nothing wrong with the song itself.  

Perhaps the ‘dislike’ of the song stems from all of what you said, but extreme overplay on the radio; but over the years I have seen many people on here declare not only their dislike of what you mentioned, but yes, of the song itself.  

54 minutes ago, Lampi said:

It's all about historical context.

Bruce, JLM, and Columbia were planning mass acceptance and King Dollar. Whatever it took.

Cheesy videos. Check.

12" dance mixes. Check.

TV exposure. Check.

MTV competitons. Check.

SEVEN singles from one album. Check.

Global striding stadium shows. Check.

There are probably more but I'm on my mobile just about to finish a marathon at the end of another Iron Man Triathlon and I'm a bit bored.

You can fill in the gaps.

19 hours ago, Lampi said:

Well in fact they were not, and for sure not after the European Tour.

My Love Will Not Let You Down was a regular on the reunion tour. Most of the shows I’ve listened to have had 1-2 tracks songs, but skimming over the set lists you’re right, for some reason I though there were more.

30 minutes ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

DITD is a phenomenal pop song,one of the best of the 80's from any artist.It just suffers from overplayeditis.

Some people are music snobs and turn their noses up at songs that are popular with the general public.  They disapprove of hits, and prefer to sing the praises of obscure (and often inferior) outtakes.

P.S.  The above is probably an unpopular opinion.  :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Again, I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion  (just way toooooo overplayed on the radio, especially in the 80s!) out in the world, but I’ve heard tons of negative comments over the years here on the Lake about DITD.  

It's understandable.

Also most people don't even think of Bruce as a rock and roller in the real world, out in the world as you put it, and Dancing In The Dark doesn't help that perception.

I remember years ago I made a tape of the Bridge performance for somebody and they told me they were shocked, that they actually liked the song on there; they never thought they would hear a version of that they would like.

10 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Some people are music snobs and turn their noses up at songs that are popular with the general public.  They disapprove of hits, and prefer to sing the praises of obscure (and often inferior) outtakes.

The only time I’ve heard DITD talked negatively about is on here. I understand not liking the video but the song itself is great.

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Maybe it is (an unpopular opinion) but I agree with you 100%. 

• Thanks 1