CrushOnOutlawPete

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

10 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Also most people don't even think of Bruce as a rock and roller in the real world, out in the world

Now that I’ve never heard.  Despite the fact his music is multifaceted, I’ve only ever heard him referred to as a ‘classic rock artist.’  

Not saying you’re wrong, just saying that’s the way I’ve always heard people ‘out in the world’ describe him.  

46 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Some people are music snobs and turn their noses up at songs that are popular with the general public.  They disapprove of hits, and prefer to sing the praises of obscure (and often inferior) outtakes.

P.S.  The above is probably an unpopular opinion.  :D

100% correct you are Rizla.

On a sidenote,is your username from the song by Shame?!

• Thanks 1

All i can say about DITD is.....

Shit....I don't believe so!! I'm smiling from ear to ear. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Now that I’ve never heard.  Despite the fact his music is multifaceted, I’ve only ever heard him referred to as a ‘classic rock artist.’  

Not saying you’re wrong, just saying that’s the way I’ve always heard people ‘out in the world’ describe him.  

Oh I know a lot of people and have met a lot who think he's terrible and doesn't play rock and roll and never did, don't know of his guitar prowess etc.

They just know him from DITD and such.

Which hardly, if representative of him to someone, they won't think he's a classic rock artist anymore than Madonna. Not arguing just saying, to a lot of people he either isn't rock and roll or never was, and also many think he's too bombastic. There were a ton of people who'd never heard him who were turned off completely during the Born In The U.S.A. period. It was a pretty grim period.

3 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Oh I know a lot of people and have met a lot who think he's terrible and doesn't play rock and roll and never did, don't know of his guitar prowess etc.

Which hardly, if representative of him to someone, they won't think he's a classic rock artist anymore than Madonna. Not arguing just saying, to a lot of people he either isn't rock and roll or never was, and also many think he's too bombastic. There were a ton of people who'd never heard him who were turned off completely during the Born In The U.S.A. period. It was a pretty grim period.

You are absolutely correct in your statement, but honestly, I'm most likely not here talking with you, if not for BITUSA Album. 

And you can look at my statement two ways, Great or that damn BITUSA album. ;) 

11 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Ok.  I guess in my world I was honestly blissfully unaware of such things.  Including ‘a ton’ of people that were turned off during the BITUSA period.  I’m sure you’re right, I just never personally saw that.  

2 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

It's understandable.

Also most people don't even think of Bruce as a rock and roller in the real world, out in the world as you put it, and Dancing In The Dark doesn't help that perception.

I've found this to be (rather shockingly) true, many people think of Bruce as Americana or country. And that's not because of Western Stars, and it's usually used more or less negatively.

It's something that actually annoys me, although it shouldn't because it doesn't matter at all. But it does. Yes, Bruce has country influences, but how can anyone concievably hear WIESS as a country or even countryish record? BITUSA a country song? Et cetera ad nauseam.

I often hear that Metallica - now, that's rock. Yes, it is, but it's also (thrash) metal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

Some people are music snobs and turn their noses up at songs that are popular with the general public.  They disapprove of hits, and prefer to sing the praises of obscure (and often inferior) outtakes.

You are 100% correct. I always find it ironic that Bruce seems to attract a fair number of music snobs when he doesn't seem to be one himself.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Bruce, JLM, and Columbia were planning mass acceptance and King Dollar. Whatever it took.

Bruce got permission to release Nebraska and Columbia got 'mass acceptance' in return.

However, they could have strived for world domination with better videos and without Bruce's ass on the cover on the album (like: the sleeve of the BUSA single). To name just a few things.

3 hours ago, Declansk said:

My Love Will Not Let You Down was a regular on the reunion tour. Most of the shows I’ve listened to have had 1-2 tracks songs, but skimming over the set lists you’re right, for some reason I though there were more.

Tbh there were 4 Tracks songs played at the show I saw that tour, one of them a sign request, but that was an exception. And as said, there were slightly more Tracks songs played on the European leg than later in the tour.

1 hour ago, soulcrusader78 said:

cough cough

there was a time i didn't know he was classic rock

in fact when we went to get me BITUSA for xmas the year we brought the Jeep i now know we couldn't find it because we wern't looking in the rock session

apart from Bruce fans only serouse music fans seem to know what a great guitarist and song writter he is

i love the DITD video because im an 80s teenager and not ashamed to be so (although after watching blinded by the light maybe i should be ! joking !!!)

im not fussed on the huge palava on stage and even less so all the 'dance with me Bruce' songs it encourages because the signs in a real physical sence deminish the concert experience of other audience members

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

apart from Bruce fans only serouse music fans seem to know what a great guitarist and song writter he is

And easy to forget in the very early days Bruce was world-famous in New Jersey as a guitar player and not as a singer and/or as a singer-songwriter.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Tbh there were 4 Tracks songs played at the show I saw that tour, one of them a sign request,  but that was an exception. And as said, there were slightly more Tracks songs played on the European leg than later in the tour.

My Love Will Not Let You Down missed BITUSA and was recorded the week after Electric Nebraska with Murder Incorporated and the final takes of Downbound Train, Glory Days and BITUSA. Never think of anything as a Tracks song, except TV Movie and other songs that I never heard of until Tracks

I am oldtime fan who liked Bruce in 1975. I never heard any artist so sincerely interested in Rock, Blues, Country, Dance. everything including many sub-genres. Both of our favorites are the 60s

The Zoom Song from way back used the melody of an Irving Berlin song 1911 Alexander's Ragtime Band. I know because I got into songs from the 1900-forward, and I think Springsteen inspired a lot of my interests.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I was here way before there was classic rock

I guess I am a classic man

aka old man :lol:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

My Love Will Not Let You Down missed BITUSA and was recorded the week after Electric Nebraska with Murder Incorporated and the final takes of Downbound Train, Glory Days and BITUSA. Never think of anything as a Tracks song, except TV Movie and other songs that I never heard of until Tracks

My Love Will Not Let You Down was the supposed opening song of Side 2 until No Surrender was written (but without doubt you know this).

Agree a little with the other thing you say, at least about the B-Sides, which are indeed B-Sides and not songs from Tracks.

In my head Stolen Car, Tracks version (or Ties That Bind version) and Wrong Side Of The Street are called Son You May Kiss The Bride and Endless Nights; blame the bootleggers for that! Typing this I now remember The Preachers Daughter is not called The Preachers Daughter.

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

It's all about historical context.

Bruce, JLM, and Columbia were planning mass acceptance and King Dollar. Whatever it took.

Cheesy videos. Check.

12" dance mixes. Check.

TV exposure. Check.

MTV competitons. Check.

SEVEN singles from one album. Check.

Global striding stadium shows. Check.

There are probably more but I'm on my mobile just about to finish a marathon at the end of another Iron Man Triathlon and I'm a bit bored.

You can fill in the gaps.

I am old fashioned springsteen fan 

I remember I watched that video over and over on MTV

I like when Bob Dylan does it

Great song

but not close to Zero and Blind Terry :lol:

8 minutes ago, Lampi said:

My Love Will Not Let You Down was the supposed opening song of Side 2 until No Surrender was written (but without doubt you know this).

Agree a little with the other thing you say, at least about the B-Sides, which are indeed B-Sides and not songs from Tracks.

In my head Stolen Car, Tracks version (or Ties That Bind version) and Wrong Side Of The Street are called Son You May Kiss The Bride and Endless Nights; blame the bootleggers for that! Typing this I now remember The Preachers Daughter is not called The Preachers Daughter.

I call it Bodo Rocker because of his Promise Notebook

13 minutes ago, Lampi said:

now remember The Preachers Daughter is not called The Preachers Daughter <<< what is the name? You are right!

4 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

now remember The Preachers Daughter is not called The Preachers Daughter <<< what is the name? You are right!

So The Preacher's Daughter is called Bodo Rocker?:o(too lazy now to look in the Darkness box myself).

Some bootlegs call it I've Got A Date With The Preachers Daughter but that is a little bit too long for the back of an album cover.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lampi said:

So The Preacher's Daughter is called Bodo Rocker?:o(too lazy now to look in the Darkness box myself).

Some bootlegs call it I've Got A Date With The Preachers Daughter but that is a little bit too long for the back of an album cover.

"New Bodo Rocker"

10 minutes ago, Lampi said:

10-27-77
New Ballad Iceman The Record Plant on October 27, 1977
New Fast Song October 27, 1977
New Bodo Rocker Preachers Daughter October 27, 1977
The Promised Land October 27, 1977 (20 takes-19 working on ending) 
I'm Goin' Back October 27, 1977

I take a lot of notes

This was Oct 27 itinerary at Record Plant

15 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

I like when Bob Dylan does it

No you don't! :D If I can find it, I'll post it! 

Have you seen Steven sing Tuscon Train in the other thread?:wacko:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

"New Bodo Rocker"

The old vinyls always had their own names 

Forgotten Songs renamed all the WIESS outtakes "The Guns of Old King Cole' = Santa Ana

5 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

New Fast Song October 27, 1977

As you know, this was called The Fast Song on bootlegs which will not be the real name of the song.

Maybe it had never a real name until it evolved into Candy's Room.

6 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

Forgotten Songs renamed all the WIESS outtakes "The Guns of Old King Cole' = Santa Ana

Did Fire On The Fingertips not rename the WIESS era songs?

Edit: yes indeed: Guns Of Kid Cole; Mama Knows Rithmatic Knows How To Take A Fall; Get Your Wheels And Roll; Kid Called Zero; Angel From The Inner Lake-Ballerina. (Always good to have the Blinded By The Light book at hand:); I also own the Fire On The Fingertips bootleg but finding that would take a lot more time than finding the Blinded By The Light book.)

• Like 1