Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

1. Agreed

2. Disagree, My favorite album, not his best but my personal favorite. Can't we have some fun while listening to some powerful lyrics?

3. "Drive All Night" - Bruce Growling in Pain. I don't know if I should do this :lol: or this :wacko:

4. Agreed

5. Again, if we can't have fun, I personally will stop going. 

6. No opinion

7. Love Working on a Dream 1. Life Itself

8. High Hopes IMHO is about 10 fold better than WS

 

life itself is awsome isnt it ! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, becausethenight said:

1) I am not a fan of Bruce endorsing political candidates (namely presidents) and doing rallies for them. Same with every other musician. I feel the system and the citizens of the nation (I mean, only half of us vote) have as much if not more to do with society's issues than  any one politician. Plus, I have never felt the president has as much power as people think because of all the separation of powers that exist. I don't know. I was 100% behind Springsteen coming out against Reagan in the 80's after the campaign speech, and I like it when musicians do benefits for causes they believe in and make artful statements with political implications, but somewhere there is a line. No politicians.

2) Born In The USA is one of the worst albums Bruce ever did despite its sales. It hasn't stood the test of time, whereas so many of the outtakes from those sessions are among the best songs he has ever done. I admire Landau's loyalty to Bruce and their friendship, but I always felt BITUSA was a Landau record even if Bruce was still interested in being the biggest rock star on the planet for a period.

3) "Drive All Night" is an awful song. It maybe the only awful song in his catalog along with "Real Man." I cannot believe "Stray Bullet" and another song or two were chucked to put 4 hours of Bruce growling in pain on a record.

4) I like many of the songs but do not like the production style of the first two records. So many of those songs like "Saint In The City" sound better live.

5) I cannot tolerate "Rosalita" anymore.

6) Bruce should have released Human Touch without touring behind it. I understand the need to make Lucky Town, which turned out to be a better record than Human Touch, but not releasing Human Touch immediately when it was done (with a different track listing, of course - "Seven Angels" over "Real Man," etc.)  left too much of a gap between Tunnel Of Love and Human Touch/Lucky Town.

7) Working On A Dream is not a bad record. It just has some awful filler.

8) High Hopes is the worst album of Bruce's career. Thank God for Western Stars.

1/ Agree 100%

2/ Disagree

3/ Disagree totally. It's one of the best songs on The River in my opinion, a fantastic love song and delivered with quite incredible power and emotion. It also has one of Clarence's best sax solos.

4/ Agree

5/ Disagree. Great song and still sounds awesome now.

6/ Agree/Disagree; In my opinion HT is the only sub standard album Bruce has ever done. With the exception of four great songs it is filled with bland plodders anybody could have recorded. Like yourself, I don't think he should have toured the record either.

7/ Agree. WOAD is a very good album. Two or three fillers but mainly some excellent songs and full of a variety of styles.

8/ Disagree/Agree; High Hopes is a collection of outtakes/covers/re-recordings and in that respect was a very good record with one or two exceptional songs. Western Stars is a late career masterpiece. One of the best albums he has ever done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, becausethenight said:

1) I am not a fan of Bruce endorsing political candidates (namely presidents) and doing rallies for them. Same with every other musician. I feel the system and the citizens of the nation (I mean, only half of us vote) have as much if not more to do with society's issues than  any one politician. Plus, I have never felt the president has as much power as people think because of all the separation of powers that exist. I don't know. I was 100% behind Springsteen coming out against Reagan in the 80's after the campaign speech, and I like it when musicians do benefits for causes they believe in and make artful statements with political implications, but somewhere there is a line. No politicians.

2) Born In The USA is one of the worst albums Bruce ever did despite its sales. It hasn't stood the test of time, whereas so many of the outtakes from those sessions are among the best songs he has ever done. I admire Landau's loyalty to Bruce and their friendship, but I always felt BITUSA was a Landau record even if Bruce was still interested in being the biggest rock star on the planet for a period.

3) "Drive All Night" is an awful song. It maybe the only awful song in his catalog along with "Real Man." I cannot believe "Stray Bullet" and another song or two were chucked to put 4 hours of Bruce growling in pain on a record.

4) I like many of the songs but do not like the production style of the first two records. So many of those songs like "Saint In The City" sound better live.

5) I cannot tolerate "Rosalita" anymore.

6) Bruce should have released Human Touch without touring behind it. I understand the need to make Lucky Town, which turned out to be a better record than Human Touch, but not releasing Human Touch immediately when it was done (with a different track listing, of course - "Seven Angels" over "Real Man," etc.)  left too much of a gap between Tunnel Of Love and Human Touch/Lucky Town.

7) Working On A Dream is not a bad record. It just has some awful filler.

8) High Hopes is the worst album of Bruce's career. Thank God for Western Stars.

1. Disagree.  Vehemently. 

2. Disagree.  Love the album. 

3. I’ve never been a fan of Drive All Night, and never listen to the album version; but I’ve come to appreciate it live.  I’d still never call it, or anything I don’t like ‘awful,’ as for many, it’s their favorite (yes, I realize what thread this is).  I like Real Man.  I do agree that Stray Bullet should’ve been on the album; but I’d have swapped it out with Point Blank (a perfect statement for this thread...) 

4.  The ones I like/love (most of them) sound just fine to me on the first two albums.  Love them live as well... 

5. I have no words for that one.  Can’t explain how much I love that song.  Hearing it live brings me inordinate amounts of joy. 

6.  Love both albums.  Loved the tour.  

7. Love most of that album. 

8. Love (just about all of) High Hopes.  A lot. But yes, thank God for Western Stars anyway.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

1/ Agree 100%

2/ Disagree

3/ Disagree totally. It's one of the best songs on The River in my opinion, a fantastic love song and delivered with quite incredible power and emotion. It also has one of Clarence's best sax solos.

4/ Agree

5/ Disagree. Great song and still sounds awesome now.

6/ Agree/Disagree; In my opinion HT is the only sub standard album Bruce has ever done. With the exception of four great songs it is filled with bland plodders anybody could have recorded. Like yourself, I don't think he should have toured the record either.

7/ Agree. WOAD is a very good album. Two or three fillers but mainly some excellent songs and full of a variety of styles.

8/ Disagree/Agree; High Hopes is a collection of outtakes/covers/re-recordings and in that respect was a very good record with one or two exceptional songs. Western Stars is a late career masterpiece. One of the best albums he has ever done.

 

 

Yeah well I disagree with both of you, what do you think about that?

Somebody named their dog "Springsteen', now everytime I say "Springsteen sucks", he gets all excited, comes over to me and starts licking me!

If Springsteen's next box has a bunch of modern vocals on it, that dog is going to injure my face! :wub:

Ok, I will interrupt again with more unpopular Springsteen posts soon

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

point blank on the album should have been closer to how it was performed live in (drum roll please Max:lol:) 1978

i actually don't think this should be an unpopular opinion

however all was redeemed with how he performed it on the river tour 2016

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i wounder how people would feel about politics in Bruce's music/ performances  if he was a right winger ? :lol:

i mean i actually listen to what he has to say and respect that it's his stage and he can say what he wants 

 

 

cat-among-pigeons-rodeorose.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

point blank on the album should have been closer to how it was performed live in (drum roll please Max:lol:) 1978

i actually don't think this should be an unpopular opinion

however all was redeemed with how he performed it on the river tour 2016

 

I think Daisy's post was way off topic. Daisy....unpopular please. Now I had to give you like! You are ruining everything

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i wounder how people would feel about politics in Bruce's music/ performances  if he was a right winger ? :lol:

i mean i actually listen to what he has to say and respect that it's his stage and he can say what he wants 

 

 

cat-among-pigeons-rodeorose.jpg

 

Yeah, pussy cat, it's pay-back time!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tillywilly said:

 

I think Daisy's post was way off topic. Daisy....unpopular please. Now I had to give you like! You are ruining everything

 

:lol::lol::lol:

those live point blanks just blow me away 

its one of those songs i could listen to the live version all day long 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Daisey Jeep said:

:lol::lol::lol:

those live point blanks just blow me away 

its one of those songs i could listen to the live version all day long 

 

July 7, 1977 was taping his show when I first heard it

He changed lyrics several times live, just like he did on Lawsuit Tour when he couldn't get to a studio

"Something In the Night"

This guy is very impatient, see I am being negative!

 

 

 

 

  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tillywilly said:

 

July 7, 1977 was taping his show when I first heard it

He changed lyrics several times live, just like he did on Lawsuit Tour when he couldn't get to a studio

"Something In the Night"

This guy is very impatient, see I am being negative!

 

 

 

 

wow ! 

im very impressed ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

this thread can be alot of fun

i have a head cold and fewl like shit and the light headness is making this thread funny

 

Bando-Chill-Pill-iPhone-7-Case.jpg

 

 

 

Images of birds ganging up on pussy cat get me going everytime :o

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

wow ! 

im very impressed ! 

 

 

There are 4 studio outtakes of "Point Blank", all on the same day. so really only one, which totally sucks

 

and it's a weird outtake, just listen to it, never heard before or since thankfully

see negative again! I'm a natural at this whining and complaining

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

 

 

There are 4 studio outtakes of "Point Blank", all on the same day. so really only one, which totally sucks

 

and it's a weird outtake, just listen to it, never heard before or since thankfully

see negative again! I'm a natural at this whining and complaining

 

careful

that cat's a right winger :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember hearing Point Blank live before it had been released. It was amazing. I heard it a few times. This was before the days of the internet when everyone knows the song and the lyrics immediately after the first performance. It was new and fresh and intense.

I also remember when I heard Drive All Night for the first time (when the River album came out), my first thought was that he made a full song out of the middle part of Backstreets he does live.  

My very unpopular opinion is that I think Springsteen on Broadway was very self indulgent. And kinda boring in parts. I still find it unsettling that my rock idol recited the lord’s prayer every night on Broadway. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, judyg said:

I also remember when I heard Drive All Night for the first time (when the River album came out), my first thought was that he made a full song out of the middle part of Backstreets he does live.  

he did 2 years earlier

Sad Eyes then became Drive All Night because he had to Prove it all night and get Sad Eyes some shoes

sounds unpopular

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Stunned to read you saying that there's a Springsteen song you don't love :lol:

 

I liked it when it was "Circus Song"

then June 1973 he changed it to "Wild Billy's Circus Story"

wasn't Wild Billy from Greasy Lake or Rosalita?

I better not say anything nice

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

 

I liked it when it was "Circus Song"

then June 1973 he changed it to "Wild Billy's Circus Story"

wasn't Wild Billy from Greasy Lake or Rosalita?

I better not say anything nice

 

 

This in reference to my shitty little username mate? 

I always think of the Bound For Glory radio sessions CD when I hear "Circus Song" mentioned. 

There was a Wild Billy was from Greasy Lake, but it was Big Bone Billy in Rosie. 

Wild Billy in the Circus is a piece of shit. He advocated the prisoning of animals for show and he relentlessly mocked a little man-beast for his love of pop corn. He makes me ashamed to be associated with Circus Stories. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

This in reference to my shitty little username mate? 

I always think of the Bound For Glory radio sessions CD when I hear "Circus Song" mentioned. 

There was a Wild Billy was from Greasy Lake, but it was Big Bone Billy in Rosie. 

Wild Billy in the Circus is a piece of shit. He advocated the prisoning of animals for show and he relentlessly mocked a little man-beast for his love of pop corn. He makes me ashamed to be associated with Circus Stories. 

 

5 pts for being extremely negativen, great job

 

I looked up "prisoning of animals for show" and found nothing in several reference volumes including the penal code

 

Maybe Wild Billy was picked up and imprisoned on an unrelated charge

Looks like we have a job opening at Circus Town

I only have one question

"Hey son, you wanna try the big top?"

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...