Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

28 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Stunned to read you saying that there's a Springsteen song you don't love :lol:

Drive All Out is 8 slow minutes

in the wind in the snow in the rain

I thought it  was about postal carrier working the night shift

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

5 pts for being extremely negativen, great job

I looked up "prisoning of animals for show" and found nothing in several reference volumes including the penal code

Maybe Wild Billy was picked up and imprisoned on an unrelated charge

Looks like we have a job opening at Circus Town

I only have one question

"Hey son, you wanna try the big top?"

It's about time I got something in return for my negativity, cheers!

Of course, it was all just a weird joke. There's been a few times in the past where I've expressed a great disdain for Wild Billy and I feel like I should keep that gimmick going. 

I am genuinely starting to dislike my username though. 

1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's about time I got something in return for my negativity, cheers!

Of course, it was all just a weird joke. There's been a few times in the past where I've expressed a great disdain for Wild Billy and I feel like I should keep that gimmick going. 

I am genuinely starting to dislike my username though. 

I need to warn you

My rate is $350 / hr.

Now let's start by examining your birth trauma

34 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Stunned to read you saying that there's a Springsteen song you don't love :lol:

I liked it when it was "Circus Song"

What is Wild Billy's Lullaby?

WILD BILLY'S LULLABY is a Bruce Springsteen song from the Born To Run period (late 1973 to early 1975). It was a candidate track for the album, as evidenced in a handwritten list of candidate tracks for Springsteen's third studio album. The list is untitled and probably dates from 1974. Springsteen wrote "Wild Billy's Lullabye or (Dream)" (see scan below). It seems that he was undecided between two potential titles for the song: "Wild Billy's Lullabye" [sic] and "Wild Billy's Dream".

and  "Wild Billy's Song to Orphans"

that has to be unpopular

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tillywilly said:

Drive All Out is 8 slow minutes

in the wind in the snow in the rain

I thought it  was about postal carrier working the night shift

as a reformed shoe ahoalic it reminds me of being on that new show high - the eirophia of the aroma of paitant leather is to painful to revisit 

alas a girl can't afford a shoe habbit and a Springsteen habbit - and that was when i had a job

i mean i like it and would be ecstatic to get it as part of a river complete album show 

his vocals on the album really make me smilie

but if i had to list my 100 favourite springsteen songs in no particular order it probably won't make the cut

the wind and snow bit can be fun if one is out walking the elements in the winter 

i don't think NZ post is that dedicated any more

9 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

as a reformed shoe ahoalic it reminds me of being on that new show high - the eirophia of the aroma of paitant leather is to painful to revisit 

alas a girl can't afford a shoe habbit and a Springsteen habbit - and that was when i had a job

i mean i like it and would be ecstatic to get it as part of a river complete album show 

his vocals on the album really make me smilie

but if i had to list my 100 favourite springsteen songs in no particular order it probably won't make the cut

the wind and snow bit can be fun if one is out walking the elements in the winter 

i don't think NZ post is that dedicated any more

Emelda Marcos, a fellow sufferer, found a man that could provide her with the resources to feed her shoe habit

feelings produce neurotransmitters in the brain that create organic drug addiction

Once again, my services are..$750 per hour, three sessions weekly, starting with your birth trauma

If you live in an exotic location like Australia or Vietnam, you will have fly me over and provide five star lodging as required by my life style

cya soon!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

Emelda Marcos, a fellow sufferer, found a man that could provide her with the resources to feed her shoe habit

feelings produce neurotransmitters in the brain that create organic drug addiction

Once again, my services are..$750 per hour, three sessions weekly, starting with your birth trauma

If you live in an exotic location like Australia or Vietnam, you will have fly me over and provide five star lodging as required by my life style

cya soon!

ill book the porta potty for your ensuit now ! 

"Breakaway" is better than "Badlands", or at the very least uses the lyric "Let the broken hearts stand as the price you pay" (slightly different in each song ofc) far better and more powerfully.

Darkness on the Edge of Town, while already a near-perfect album, might be even better if it were 11 tracks with "Iceman" placed as the opener before "Badlands".

There may be no song on any Springsteen album as integral to truly understanding the themes of the record as "Open All Night".

"Unsatisfied Heart" is the saddest Springsteen song of all time, and one of the most beautiful. The only Bruce song nearly as sad is "Down in the Hole".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

"

Darkness on the Edge of Town, while already a near-perfect album, might be even better if it were 11 tracks with "Iceman" placed as the opener before "Badlands".

No.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, judyg said:

I also remember when I heard Drive All Night for the first time (when the River album came out), my first thought was that he made a full song out of the middle part of Backstreets he does live.  

Absolutely right. But beautiful! :wub:

Also, being economical, he re-uses a couple of lines form "Candy's Boy": Well there's machine and there's fire, waitin' for us on the edge of town...

The rest fell by the wayside and was made up differently.

"And there's some boys for hire, and they're waitin' to blow me and Candy down"

There's machines and there's fire, baby waiting on the edge of town
They're out there for hire but baby they can't hurt us now

• Like 1

10 hours ago, judyg said:

My very unpopular opinion is that I think Springsteen on Broadway was very self indulgent. And kinda boring in parts. I still find it unsettling that my rock idol recited the lord’s prayer every night on Broadway. 

I'm with you.  I found it very boring, I even fell asleep at one point.  Nothing that I hadn't read in his book, which itself was very repetitive.
Glad I didn't spend a fortune flying over to see it in person, and I'm mystified as to why anyone would go more than once.  I didn't even watch it again on Netflix :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Re Springsteen On Broadway, I will say that he did a great job of faking the spontaneity.  Pausing and searching for a word when he knew exactly what he was going to say, as if he'd never said it before - all that sort of thing.  Not being sarcastic here, he did it very well.

1345853846646_7132988.png

:lol:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, judyg said:

My very unpopular opinion is that I think Springsteen on Broadway was very self indulgent. And kinda boring in parts. I still find it unsettling that my rock idol recited the lord’s prayer every night on Broadway. 

the whole religious bit i found creepy, and musically the show was brilliant,verbally mostly boring,  i also found the constant use of the f word annoying and unnecessary.  his last few moves are self indulgent but perhaps he deserves to be  that after so many years. i will forgive if we have a new e street album and tour next year but i get more doubtful about that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wild & Innocent said:

I’m not a big fan of Rosalita.  There, I said it.

You're not alone...

Rosalita was better in 1988. Really fresh sounding and a mid-song instrumental break instead of band introductions which are almost longer than the song itself. Really funny and funky versions from the Sancious-Carter-Lopez era too.

The studio version also still sounds fresh and great after all those years.

But Rosalita was not better in 1978 and got worse in 1980-1981 (to listen to).

This all about audio; it's different when you see the stunning videos of Tempe 1980 and also the -sadly not so great quality- video from No Nukes.

BTW the Dutch spelling check on my phone did change 'stunning' to 'Sting'; my phone has a very strange sense for humor.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lampi said:

You're not alone...

Rosalita was better in 1988. Really fresh sounding and a mid-song instrumental break instead of band introductions which are almost longer than the song itself. Really funny and funky versions from the Sancious-Carter-Lopez era too.

The studio version also still sounds fresh and great after all those years.

But Rosalita was not better in 1978 and got worse in 1980-1981 (to listen to).

This all about audio; it's different when you see the stunning videos of Tempe 1980 and also the -sadly not so great quality- video from No Nukes.

BTW the Dutch spelling check on my phone did change 'stunning' to 'Sting'; my phone has a very strange sense for humor.

Rosalita is from 1973, when Bruce was 24 years old

Part of Bruce's live act was creating excitement and getting the crowd pumped

Rosie was his ultimate adrenalin song and for years he closed the main set or the 2nd set with it

I first saw him 1978 his energy was endless

I would imagine a man in his 60s would not perform Rosalita as well anymore

He used to jump into the crowd everynight with Spirit In the Night and have a heart attack when he did Quarter to Three

I saw many bands when I was younger there was never anybody like Bruce Springsteen

Ooops...but he sucked anyway! his band sucked and rosalita sucked! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tillywilly said:

you have to be ready to go all the way if you want your posts to be truly unpopular!

Like this?

1) Drive All Night is a very boring and very overrated song, the most overrated song Bruce Springsteen has ever written. It goes on for 8 minutes without going anywhere.

2) Jack Of All Trades is a dull song.

3) Stray Bullet is a dull song with Bruce mumbling some vague lyrics.

4) Land Of Hope And Dreams is a mediocre song and I don't get at all why some people consider it one of Bruce Springsteen's greatest songs. Live versions of LOHAD seem to go on for 20 minutes or so.

5) Mary Queen of Arkansas and The Angel are both good and beautiful songs.

6) Moonlight Motel is a dull song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Like this?

1) Drive All Night is a very boring and very overrated song, the most overrated song Bruce Springsteen had ever written. It goes on for 8 minutes without going anywhere.

2) Jack Of All Trades is a dull song.

3) Stray Bullet is a dull song with Bruce mumbling some vague lyrics.

4) Land Of Hope And Dreams is a mediocre song and I don't get at all why some people consider it one of Bruce Springsteen's greatest songs. Live versions of LOHAD seem to go on for 20 minutes or so.

5) Mary Queen of Arkansas and The Angel are both good and beautiful songs.

6) Moonlight Motel is a dull song.

There is a darkened corner awaiting you!

B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rizla said:

I'm with you.  I found it very boring, I even fell asleep at one point.  Nothing that I hadn't read in his book, which itself was very repetitive.
Glad I didn't spend a fortune flying over to see it in person, and I'm mystified as to why anyone would go more than once.  I didn't even watch it again on Netflix :rolleyes:

I went three times, and if I could’ve gone more, I would have.  I’ve also watched it twice on Netflix.  

To each his/her own... 

• Bruuuuce! 1

Bruce's singing voice has improved massively as he has got older....much better than it was in the 70's and 80's.

Whilst he has written and recorded many great outtakes, an equal amount are overrated by many fans. I have always been 50-50 about Tracks. Half of the songs are great and half...well let's just say you can understand why he left them off the finished records.

14 minutes ago, merlin said:

There is a darkened corner awaiting you!

B)

In that corner my SM Mistress will wait for me, tie me in chains, blindfold me, and then.....

....She will bring me The Comfort Chair from the Spanish Inquisition.

Then she will destroy my Greasy Lake membership card.

Then she will leave me alone for the next 6 hours. But not before she starts a 6-hour tape with Sunny Day kids singing for me to this listen to in those 6 hours.

That will learn me!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

I did not say Rosalita 'sucks'. Or that I dislike it.

I am just not a big fan of the song (to listen to; in live versions with band introductions which are almost longer than the song itself).

i think i would like it better in the middle of the set

it depresses me because its in the encore and that mean its going to end soon