Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

4 hours ago, Rizla said:

Re Springsteen On Broadway, I will say that he did a great job of faking the spontaneity.  Pausing and searching for a word when he knew exactly what he was going to say, as if he'd never said it before - all that sort of thing.  Not being sarcastic here, he did it very well.

1345853846646_7132988.png

:lol:

ive only watched it once on Netflex and i remember finding bits genuinely funny and i giggled a bit here and there 

compaired to LINYC or the promise entire box set when i know every word, every hand gesture, every chord in his neck ! 

i did wounder if its a cultural thing

as much as i admire and love his honesty and despite me personally writting my innermost thoughts all over an international message board, spilling one's guts isnt really the kiwi way

you are ment to keep alot of stuff inside and just keep shoving it back down!

and yet i adore all those little stories he's told over the years

mind you if shearing his mental health struggles has helped just one other person its well done him

i just think we lost some of the mystic, the magic trick 

i don't know, i just felt so far away from Broadway i couldn't connect even when all my friends went and shaired their excitement 

maybe because it was after the river anniversary tour and even though i couldn't go i had SLV and nugs and enjoyed every moment 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:25 PM, becausethenight said:

Born In The USA is one of the worst albums Bruce ever did despite its sales. It hasn't stood the test of time, whereas so many of the outtakes from those sessions are among the best songs he has ever done. I admire Landau's loyalty to Bruce and their friendship, but I always felt BITUSA was a Landau record even if Bruce was still interested in being the biggest rock star on the planet for a period.

BUSA has stand the time as one of the defining albums of the (mid)80s. And for music, I think Tunnel of Love (an album I love more than BUSA) sounds more dated and more very 80s than BUSA.

And without BUSA, no Nebraska either. That was 'part of the deal' with Columbia. And that is reason why songs like Darlington County, Working On The Highway and Glory Days (all good songs BTW) are on BUSA and songs like This Hard Land, Frankie, Shut Out The Light, Johnny Bye Bye are not.

Also, but we all know that, beneath the surface of the music there are darker themes in the lyrics; even Darlington County ends with 'Wayne handcuffed to the bumper of a state trooper's Ford'. Working On The Highway does not have a happy ending either. I'm Goin' Down is a song about a relationship, or marriage, which will end soon.

And Glory Days is a sad song about people in their early 30s who realise the best years of their lives are already behind them. They like to talk about the time when they were young, their 'Glory Days', because the present has nothing to offer. Their lives are dull and boring now.

This all no reason for Bruce to put his ass on the cover of the album of course.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

6 hours ago, Rizla said:

Re Springsteen On Broadway, I will say that he did a great job of faking the spontaneity.  Pausing and searching for a word when he knew exactly what he was going to say, as if he'd never said it before - all that sort of thing. 

Well, that's what actors on Broadway do. They act, they pretend it's real every time. I don't question his sincerity but when I watched it on Netflix I couldn't help but think of how practiced the emotion was.

Acting!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

No.

Everything was better in 1978. 

the best week of 1978 was July Los Angeles

saw the forum, taped roxy, so much excitement

But Springsteen sucks

I hate all his songs, except for about 300

the rest suck!

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

BUSA has stand the time as one of the defining albums of the (mid)80s. And for music, I think Tunnel of Love (an album I love more than BUSA) sounds more dated and more very 80s than BUSA.

And without BUSA, no Nebraska either. That was 'part of the deal' with Columbia. And that is reason why songs like Darlington County, Working On The Highway and Glory Days (all good songs BTW) are on BUSA and songs like This Hard Land, Frankie, Shut Out The Light, Johnny Bye Bye are not.

Also, but we all know that, beneath the surface of the music there are darker themes in the lyrics; even Darlington County ends with 'Wayne handcuffed to the bumper of a state trooper's Ford'. Working On The Highway does not have a happy ending either. I'm Goin' Down is a song about a relationship, or marriage, which will end soon.

And Glory Days is a sad song about people in their early 30s who realise the best years of their lives are already behind them. They like to talk about the time when they were young, their 'Glory Days', because the present has nothing to offer. Their lives are dull and boring now.

This all no reason for Bruce to put his ass on the cover of the album of course.

final totals of the Nebraska-BITUSA were 111 songs recorded (the total is actually slightly higher, because some songs were combined), 43 songs released. 67 remain officially unreleased.

Springsteen has to release anniversary boxes pursuant to 2015 contract

1980 River      2015 done 3CD

1982 Nebraska     2022   2027         2CD

1984 BITUSA        2019   2024         3CD

1 box set with 3 or 4 discs with unreleased songs (the second volume of Tracks)     

expires June 30 2027

good theory eh

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Bruce's singing voice has improved massively as he has got older....much better than it was in the 70's and 80's.

Whilst he has written and recorded many great outtakes, an equal amount are overrated by many fans. I have always been 50-50 about Tracks. Half of the songs are great and half...well let's just say you can understand why he left them off the finished records.

????????

great post I mean, way to stay on topic!

1 hour ago, tillywilly said:

How many others alternate versions has he ever released? 

How unpopular of me, top that 

Maybe more than you might think:

All songs on The Ties That Bind album, except Cindy. Some of them only slightly different or just a different mix. Hungry Heart is the same take as the River album version but at another speed? But The Ties That Bind, Be True, The Price You Pay and You Can Look... are all different from previously released versions. And Stolen Car, as not only the TTTB/Tracks versions are different from The River album version, but the TTTB version is also another take than the Tracks version.

Racing In The Street 1978. The version of The Promise on the Darkness box/Promise album is another version than the 18 Tracks version.

Come On Let's Go Tonight, if that counts, with elements from both Factory and Johnny Bye Bye.

The Ghost Of Tom Joad, the 'Electric Joad' version on the High Hopes album.

Blood Brothers and Secret Garden (with strings) from Blood Brothers EP. The Hungry Heart 1995 version.

Countin' On A Miracle on Essential Disc 3.

The Japanse version of My Fathers House with a longer instrumental ending.

This Hard Land Greatest Hits version (Chronological the Greatest Hits version is the first released version and the Tracks version is the alternative version which was released later, even if it was recorded earlier).

On Tracks: the 4 Hammond demo songs from Greetings; Stolen Car and the song Born In The U.S.A. as both already mentioned; Stand On It (extra verse not on the original B-Side); Shut Out The Light and Johnny Bye Bye (both slightly different mix than the original B-Sides [Shut Out The Light more than Johnny Bye Bye it seems, with Soozie's violin more prominent in the mix on the Tracks version]. Pink Cadillac was released in Japan in a different (mono) mix than in the rest of the world.

Dance remixes of Born In The U.S.A., Dancing In The Dark, Cover Me and 57 Channels.

If that counts, as it is a cover: High Hopes first released on Blood Brothers EP and a new version on High Hopes album.

Assuming we are only talking about different studio versions, this all not even counting the studio versions of songs previously released in live versions, like American Skin, Land Of Hope And Dreams, Wrecking Ball and American Land. (There is some discussion about the circulating promo-only studio versions from American Skin and LOHAD from early this century, so different from the High Hopes album versions; it seems they are just the Live In NYC version with the audience removed from the recording).

And maybe there are more...

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

but but but .... ;)

i love love love child bride

you know some peeps have problems with the fire and also im on fire :wacko:

imangine child bride ! :lol:

so much better than its reincarnation as working on the highway

his arse should be on every album cover ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

Maybe more than you might think:

All songs on The Ties That Bind album, except Cindy. Some of them only slightly different or just a different mix. Hungry Heart is the same take as the River album version but at another speed? But The Ties That Bind, Be True, The Price You Pay and You Can Look... are all different from previously released versions. And Stolen Car, as not only the TTTB/Tracks versions are different from The River album version, but the TTTB version is also another take than the Tracks version.

Racing In The Street 1978. The version of The Promise on the Darkness box/Promise album is another version than the 18 Tracks version.

Come On Let's Go Tonight, if that counts, with elements from both Factory and Johnny Bye Bye.

The Ghost Of Tom Joad, the 'Electric Joad' version on the High Hopes album.

Blood Brothers and Secret Garden (with strings) from Blood Brothers EP. The Hungry Heart 1995 version.

Countin' On A Miracle on Essential Disc 3.

The Japanse version of My Fathers House with a longer instrumental ending.

This Hard Land Greatest Hits version (Chronological the Greatest Hits version is the first released version and the Tracks version is the alternative version which was released later, even if it was recorded earlier).

On Tracks: the 4 Hammond demo songs from Greetings; Stolen Car and the song Born In The U.S.A. as both already mentioned; Stand On It (extra verse not on the original B-Side); Shut Out The Light and Johnny Bye Bye (both slightly different mix than the original B-Sides [Shut Out The Light more than Johnny Bye Bye it seems, with Soozie's violin more prominent in the mix on the Tracks version]. Pink Cadillac was released in Japan in a different (mono) mix than in the rest of the world.

Dance remixes of Born In The U.S.A., Dancing In The Dark, Cover Me and 57 Channels.

If that counts, as it is a cover: High Hopes first released on Blood Brothers EP and a new version on High Hopes album.

Assuming we are only talking about different studio versions, this all not even counting the studio versions of songs previously released in live versions, like American Skin, Land Of Hope And Dreams, Wrecking Ball and American Land. (There is some discussion about the circulating promo-only studio versions from American Skin and LOHAD from early this century, so different from the High Hopes album versions; it seems they are just the Live In NYC version with the audience removed from the recording).

And maybe there are more...

I can't let you get away with these desperate examples

the reason why the 1979 TTTB versions are different is that these tracks were all remixed for The River in 1980, some with only the slightest differences

Stolen Car was re-written and re-recorded in January 1980

The Price You Pay was edited, removing an excellent verse

all the re-recordings on your pathetic list need to go away  >>>   This Hard Land / Joad not outtake recorded in March 2013  / High Hopes

Dance remixes haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The Promise The Destruction of Darkness

I wrote this chart to explain how Bruce butchered his own music

Modern Elements

Racing In The Street 1978 - almost     The base track was recorded in Dec 1977, several months after album version was completed. But this track is polluted by modern overdubs

Come On Let's Go Tonight, if that counts, with elements from both Factory and Johnny Bye Bye. <<< go read Brucebase, but the Promise version is still worth having, despite overdubs

Johnny Bye-Bye came after Come On 

He basically trashed Come On twice, first when he added Factory lyrics    After he wrote new music for Come On 1981, turned into Bye Bye

This Hard Land re-recorded in January 1995 at The Hit Factory for Greatest Hits;   Tracks version is original 1982 unreleased   all the re-recordings on your pathetic list need to go away 

The Promise was re-recorded for 18 Tracks in 1999

The Promise on The Promise. The base track was the 7 minute full-band version from Deep Down In the Vaults. It was treated worse than John Barleycorn (hope you are Traffic fan), Overdubbed to death, chopped down to 545, with the "back seat of a borrowed car" verse removed. 

Ok I am tired of writing 

I am only going to cite the recordings you are right about

-------------------------------------------------------

On Tracks: the 4 Hammond demo songs from Greetings 

Born In the USA and Stolen Car - these are complete previous recordings BITUSA was released with Electric Nebraska version, Stolen Car re-written and recorded

The point is Bruce is tight ass controlling person with years of therapy  we love him no matter what

But all the unreleased material he accumulated were songs that he found lacking

Before he got married, he could sleep at the studio, and work 25 hrs a day

After he got married and had kids, he no longer had the time to be crazy. write 80 songs for an album and use 10

He will never release an original 1970s version of The Promise - the vault has recordings from June 1977-January 24, 1978   NEVER!

He will not release Electric Nebraska - incomplete

Night Fire - nope

Stray Bullet - nope

He has multiple studio quality takes of these he finds lacking

Alternate versions of Darkness songs 

Badlands - he worked on this for 6 months, final lyrics overdubbed Feb 1978  WOULD LOVE OUTTAKE but never see it

Prove It recorded Sept 12-16 1977   he has plenty of alternate takes

Darkness  re-recorded March 8-10, 1978   plenty of alternate takes

Racing  worked on this all through August finished Aug 30 1977    then he kept recording alternates thru December

Candy    omg Candy's Room came into existence Sept 27 as New Fast Song (Candy); they worked on it 3 days straight, finished December

Promised Land   October 27 - 20 takes!  finished Dec 1

Daddy Raised a Cain  would love to hear some earlier versions  worked on extensively Nov and Dec but finshed Feb 1978, when he overdubbed deleting best lyrics about his crazed father ratting his chains!

Factory called it Come On Let's Go Tonight for 6 months! not called Factory until it went on the album

Streets of Fire plenty of alternate takes June - Dec   final mix was April 5 1978

Something in Night has fascinating history, all in live concerts Aug 3, 1976 - March 25 1977  The first day in studio is take on the album June 1 1977

Like I said, he will not release unfinished versions of his songs

He might release alternate versions that were almost finished, but he will have to add modern elements to parts he doesn't like

He is 70 years old and worth $500 million 

One thing about Bruce we know - he will only do it his way 

He has enough trouble playing fan requests at concerts like THE FEVER which he hates

Springsteen never liked “The Fever,” but he played it on the Darkness tour in many cities because, he said, “people would jump onstage and grab me by the head and scream, ‘Bruce! Fever!’”

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

but but but .... ;)

i love love love child bride

you know some peeps have problems with the fire and also im on fire :wacko:

imangine child bride ! :lol:

so much better than its reincarnation as working on the highway

his arse should be on every album cover ;)

CHILD BRIDE will get released I predict

also Nebraska version of DOWNBOUND TRAIN

LOSIN' KIND - I doubt it he was never happy with it

WANDA (Open All Night) - maybe

electric ATLANTIC CITY - worked on almost two days before any other songs at Electric Nebraska - maybe

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i don't like the tracks version of stolen car

stolen car is my favourite song off the river btw

I like it too and I love the alternate versions with different words 

He can't go wrong with Stolen Car is my opinion, not his!

• Haha 1

Here you go Lamps some alternate versions for you  :lol:

Title: Cover Me
Label: Columbia COL 44-05087
Date Release: July 1984

A1 Cover Me (Undercover Mix) (6:13.03)
A2 Cover Me (Dub I) (4:13.14)

B1 Cover Me (Radio) (3:50.30)
B2 Cover Me (Dub II) (4:14.14)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

WANDA (Open All Night) - maybe

electric ATLANTIC CITY - worked on almost two days before any other songs at Electric Nebraska - maybe

i love lossin' kind but my favourite outake is fade to black

• Like 1

1 minute ago, berlintramp said:

If I never hear Kitty's Back again it will be too soon. Boring stuff going on and on with not much melody and obscure lyrics.

Excellent berlin way to stay on topic

Your springsteen opinion is potentially very unpopular!

You need to teach some of your technique to Daisy

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

If I never hear Kitty's Back again it will be too soon. Boring stuff going on and on with not much melody and obscure lyrics.

I lie awake in the middle of the night

Making lists of things I didn’t do right

I like the bottom part

20 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

I'm quoting myself 

I was listing the unreleased January 3, 1982 Nebraska tracks, but I forgot to mention it

I have bootleg copies of all of these and they are great

Springsteen's contract has a clause that says he must release a 2 CD Nebraska anniversary box 

Nebraska 1982 so anniversary 2022 or 2027

The contract terninates June 30 2027

So I predict release of Nebraska Anniversary box 2022

Bruce I am going to be pissed if you don't include my stuff! you have been warned

“tillywilly would jump onstage and grab me by the head and scream, ‘Bruce! Fever!’”

that's right I will do it if I have to! :angry:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

The Promise was re-recorded for 18 Tracks

Yes.

Bruce: 'so fans are pissed off because The Promise is not on Tracks? Then I will  piss them off even more by recording a new, lazy and very uninspired version!'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1