Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

13 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

21635935f6cc18dc00cafa14408c60ab.jpg

Kitty's Back

black pussycat version

Kitty's back in town (here she comes, now)
Kitty's back in town (oh, oh, all right)

Cat knows his Kitty's been untrue
And that she left him for a city dude
But she's so soft, she's so black
When he looks into her eyes
He just sits back and sighs
Ooh, ooh, ooh, what can I do jack?
Ooh, ooh, ooh, what can I do

• Bruuuuce! 1

43 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Yes.

Bruce: 'so fans are pissed off because The Promise is not on Tracks? Then I will  piss them off even more by recording a new, lazy and very uninspired version!'.

not as disapointed as i in buying  the LINYC CD to find it not on there :o:angry:

i was rediscovering the back catalogue durring the dark days of NZ being in the Bruce Springsteen/ JLM/ Frontier touring wilderness and i didn't own 18 tracks because it was unavailable because Sony NZ didn't stock it although my record were able to import the tracks box set for me

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

not as disapointed as i in buying  the LINYC CD to find it not on there :o:angry:

i was rediscovering the back catalogue durring the dark days of NZ being in the Bruce Springsteen/ JLM/ Frontier touring wilderness and i didn't own 18 tracks because it was unavailable because Sony NZ didn't stock it although my record were able to import the tracks box set for me

Daisey just message me your email and I'll send you whatever you need. My little brother plays in the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra 6 months in the year, and has lived in NZ for many years, and us Kiwis stick together right :)

As for The Promise, I recommend the 3 unreleased studio outtakes, and the 44 live versions from 1976-1978. The Promise is Bruce's greatest song, which he played for the last time on July 15, 1978. I heard rumors that he recorded it 1999-2019, but I have never looked for any of those. I heard he just doesn't feel it anymore. For younger fans, this post should be really unpopular. But for hardcore fans from the days when Bruce was unknown to the general pop music public, I don't have to explain.

Bruce always played the Promise as an encore. He usually came out by himself, played the piano and sang. It was dark except for one spotlight on him. Many people in the crowd were hearing it for the first time, because there was no internet, it was not on any records, and the only tours he played it on were Lawsuit and the first two months of Darkness. But people knew about it by word of mouth, and by 1978 when I saw it, I knew it was coming. I didn't know the words in advance, but I could hear them clearly without the band playing, There was somebody else on stage in the dark playing glock, probably Danny or Roy. When it was ending, you could see the E Street Band sneaking out to their positions on the stage, then he sang "throw it all away", the song ended, the lights came up, and the band blasted into Born to Run. Incredible, my best Springsteen memory July 5 1978

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

11 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

Daisey just message me your email and I'll send you whatever you need. My little brother plays in the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra 6 months in the year, and has lived in NZ for many years, and us Kiwis stick together right :)

As for The Promise, I recommend the 3 unreleased studio outtakes, and the 44 live versions from 1976-1978. The Promise is Bruce's greatest song, which he played for the last time on July 15, 1978. I heard rumors that he recorded it 1999-2019, but I have never looked for any of those. I heard he just doesn't feel it anymore. For younger fans, this post should be really unpopular. But for hardcore fans from the days when Bruce was unknown to the general pop music public, I don't have to explain.

Bruce always played the Promise as an encore. He usually came out by himself, played the piano and sang. It was dark except for one spotlight on him. Many people in the crowd were hearing it for the first time, because there was no internet, it was not on any records, and the only tours he played it on were Lawsuit and the first two months of Darkness. But people knew about it by word of mouth, and by 1978 when I saw it, I knew it was coming. I didn't know the words in advance, but I could hear them clearly without the band playing, There was somebody else on stage in the dark playing glock, probably Danny or Roy. When it was ending, you could see the E Street Band sneaking out to their positions on the stage, then he sang "throw it all away", the song ended, the lights came up, and the band blasted into Born to Run. Incredible, my best Springsteen memory July 5 1978

wow thank you tillywilly

im actually ok because before i knew better i shopped backstreets records

im very impressed your bro plays in the NZ symphony orchestra !!!!

they would definatly be more than worthy of accompanying a Western stars album show !

when i discovered winterland the version i had (Mr Crystal cat i think) it had the bonus disk with the promise one with all the verses 

that must have been an awsome highlight of your life hearing the promise like that

i must go away and listen to it again with this new insite 

im honoured to be in your company tonight ! 

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

wow thank you tillywilly

they would definatly be more than worthy of accompanying a Western stars album show !

when i discovered winterland the version i had (Mr Crystal cat i think) it had the bonus disk with the promise one with all the verses 

that must have been an awsome highlight of your life hearing the promise like that

I'm playing Crystal Cat The Promise from Seattle June 25 1978

He added 2 lines to the last verse Jan 1978

Well, now my daddy taught me how to walk quiet and how to make my peace with the past
I learned real good to tighten up inside and I don't say nothing unless I'm asked

When the promise is broken you go on living, but it steals something from down in your soul
Like when the truth is spoken and it don't make no difference, something in your heart turns cold
Well I followed that dream through the southwestern tracks, the dead ends, and the two-bit bars
When the promise was broken I was far away from home sleepin' in the backseat of a borrowed car 

10 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

wow thank you tillywilly

Thunder Road, we were gonna take it all and throw it all away

the last line he can't sing like that anymore

He put everything into that I got shivers up my spine

• Love Love Love! 1

4 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

I'm playing Crystal Cat The Promise from Seattle June 25 1978

He added 2 lines to the last verse Jan 1978

Well, now my daddy taught me how to walk quiet and how to make my peace with the past
I learned real good to tighten up inside and I don't say nothing unless I'm asked

When the promise is broken you go on living, but it steals something from down in your soul
Like when the truth is spoken and it don't make no difference, something in your heart turns cold
Well I followed that dream through the southwestern tracks, the dead ends, and the two-bit bars
When the promise was broken I was far away from home sleepin' in the backseat of a borrowed car 

discovering the promise was a defining moment not just in my fandom but in my life

it was the first time i ever heard a song that described how i actually felt

i never had to sleep in the backseat of a borrowed car but i did end up living with my ex boyfriend's mother stuck in a town where i knew no one and couldn't go home 

i only ended up getting the dvd of LINYC for Christmas because we couldn't find the cd of BITUSA (not knowing to look in the rock section) and i kind of wanted to revisit BITUSA after buying our Jeep Daisy not knowing Bruce had turned down a deal with Chrysler back in the day, to use his music in advertising 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I went three times, and if I could’ve gone more, I would have.  I’ve also watched it twice on Netflix.  

To each his/her own... 

Can you explain why?  What was the appeal? 
I'm guessing being in a relatively small venue with Bruce is part of it, or you would have watched it on Netflix more than twice.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:03 PM, Rizla said:

I'm with you.  I found it very boring, I even fell asleep at one point.  Nothing that I hadn't read in his book, which itself was very repetitive.
Glad I didn't spend a fortune flying over to see it in person, and I'm mystified as to why anyone would go more than once.  I didn't even watch it again on Netflix :rolleyes:

My reaction also. Pleasant enough watch, once, but that's it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

My reaction also. Pleasant enough watch, once, but that's it.

I thought it was an incredible one-man public megastar confession, and I doubt any other artist could have achieved it. The depth and humility of the guy was overwhelming at times.

Having said all that I agree with you, one viewing was enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I thought it was an incredible one-man public megastar confession, and I doubt any other artist could have achieved it. The depth and humility of the guy was overwhelming at times.

Confession?  As in the book, he kept the lid firmly closed on anything that might have been interesting.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rizla said:

Can you explain why?  What was the appeal? 
I'm guessing being in a relatively small venue with Bruce is part of it, or you would have watched it on Netflix more than twice.

Seeing Bruce in a smallish venue was definitely a part of it.  No doubt about it. 

But beyond that, I just thought the entire thing was brilliant. 

I loved the stories, even though I knew 90% of what he was going to say as yes, a lot came from the book; and a lot of other info was known after seeing him for so many years, and hearing stories during shows.  

Some didn’t like the book much.  I did, so that’s probably another reason I loved this.  

BTW, even though every show was basically the same, it was also quite different in many ways; as was what we saw via Netflix a bit different from the shows I saw.  

I also loved the songs, as well as they way in which he performed them.  

He truly had the audience spell bound.  In my opinion he’s the ultimate storyteller, and this was the perfect venue.  

We laughed (hard), we cried (hard)... at the last show I saw (holy cannoli a year ago!) the woman a few rows in front of me was crying so hard during Thunder Road, I thought she was going to need oxygen.  

I know The Lord’s Prayer turned some people off.  I admit when I first heard he included it I was baffled.  But it worked perfectly IMO, and was very, very moving.  Even someone I know who is atheist said he thought it was beautiful. 

As I said above, I’ve watched it twice straight through; but I also have watched 20 minutes here, 15 minutes there on other occasions.   

I suspect I’d have watched the special more than twice if I hadn’t seen it live, but who knows? 

It’s of course fine that you and some others didn’t care for it.  We’re all certainly not going to agree on every single thing! 

I just really, really loved it.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The early live recordings...Bottom Line etc are dreadful. Just sounds a mess and Bruce sounds like he is pissed out of his brain or on something.

Kitty's Back and The E Street Shuffle are just not very good songs...and if another two great outtake songs from that era such as Song for Orphans and/or Winter Song had made it onto the finished record of The Wild, the innocent and the E Street Shuffle instead it would have been yet another masterpiece.

Although will always be a fan, grossly disappointed Bruce left the fans hanging and cancelled Greensboro 48 hours before the show....Many travel plans made and hotels were booked....He could have protested a different way and let his voice be heard and still given the fans the show they were expecting.

• Like 6

The early live versions of Born to Run are not very good. Played way too fast, almost as if they just wanted to get the song over with. They didn’t really get it until later. Even the best live versions pale in comparison to the album version.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Doing some writing for my next Bruce project on the blog (coming in September) and Goddammit I love High Hopes

"Just Like Fire Would" is playing right now and I'm in heaven.

That's the album that brought Bruce back to NZ after a much too long absence :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

This isn't an unpopular opinion.

Delete, or move this post immediately. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

That's the album that brought Bruce back to NZ after a much too long absence :)

I had so many great times listening to it back in late 2013/2014 onwards. It was the second album released when I was an actual fan, so it's kind of a big deal to me. 

2 minutes ago, Silvia said:

This isn't an unpopular opinion.

Delete, or move this post immediately. :D

I'd hope it isn't, I don't know how anyone could dislike that song!

• Bruuuuce! 1

53 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Doing some writing for my next Bruce project on the blog (coming in September) and Goddammit I love High Hopes

Love that song as well.

• Like 2

Just Like Fire Would is a different experience for us Aussies, certainly those of us who were of music listening age in the 80's.

The Saints original version of the song was only a minor chart hit but a huge FM radio song here. For me, Bruce's version doesn't add a great deal to what is already a very familiar song.

But it's great Bruce got to introduce the song to a wider audience who may never have heard of it otherwise

• Like 7