Greasy Lake Community

What are your unpopular Springsteen opinions?

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

But it's great Bruce got to introduce the song to a wider audience who may never have heard of it otherwise

Agree.  

I wouldn’t have heard it if not for Bruce, and I really like it a lot.  

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I love High Hopes.

I love that album as well! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a Springsteen fan for 43 years. Tomorrow, Sep 12, will mark the 17th year I've been posting on this forum. In all my time here, I have never seen so much blasphemy, ridiculous unfounded nons

That he should do a Seeger Sessions II.  Tour and album.

I'm not sure you've put the words in the right order.

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Silvia said:
15 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"Just Like Fire Would" is playing right now and I'm in heaven.

This isn't an unpopular opinion.

Delete, or move this post immediately. 

It's just that some of the hatred directed at High Hopes is because it included some covers.  Not that people necessarily dislike the songs, they just felt that covers have no business on a Bruce studio album.  Personally I was pleased to get them.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 12:30 AM, Lampi said:

But how was Just Like Fire Would written on Saints setlists?

Fire Wood (or Firewood).

So.

My unpopular opinions for today:

1. I listened today to Human Touch!

2. I really enjoyed it! (as usual). (except the last 3 songs (also as usual)).

3. I realized the regular studio albums I most listen to are Human Touch, Lucky Town and Working On A Dream!

(Could be even more impopular when would be: Human Touch, Lucky Town, Working On A Dream and High Hopes; but no; even if I like High Hopes (not all songs)).

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

The band versions of The Promise are better than the solo piano versions of it. Especially the The Promise album version and the live in studio version.

My take: The Promise doesn't do much for me at all. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, stillilllife said:

The band versions of The Promise are better than the solo piano versions of it. Especially the The Promise album version and the live in studio version.

2 hours ago, Nick21 said:

My take: The Promise doesn't do much for me at all. 

1b5044b7a3857cc568f147b2b2bea847-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I find Tunnel of Love a more affecting album with more heart than Born To Run or Darkness.

'Moonlight Motel' is Bruce's best new song in twenty five years.

Talking about 'New York City Serenade', it's better than everything else on The Wild and Innocent...combined.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Beautiful Loser said:

I find Tunnel of Love a more affecting album with more heart than Born To Run or Darkness.

'Moonlight Motel' is Bruce's best new song in twenty five years.

Talking about 'New York City Serenade', it's better than everything else on The Wild and Innocent...combined.

Agree pretty much with your last two points, although I would say that western stars (the song) is the best thing he has released in 25 years.

Agree on New York City Serenade..... this should be considered one of his greatest hits. To think that a 23 year old (perhaps younger) wrote and composed this is insane.

• Bruuuuce! 1
On 8/27/2020 at 12:00 AM, Lampi said:

Fire Wood (or Firewood).

So.

My unpopular opinions for today:

1. I listened today to Human Touch!

2. I really enjoyed it! (as usual). (except the last 3 songs (also as usual)).

3. I realized the regular studio albums I most listen to are Human Touch, Lucky Town and Working On A Dream!

(Could be even more impopular when would be: Human Touch, Lucky Town, Working On A Dream and High Hopes; but no; even if I like High Hopes (not all songs)).

I would say that my most regularly listened to albums are: lucky town, Tunnel of love, GOTG and Devils and Dust. I have probably listened to Darkness to death but still appreciate its greatness.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

To think that a 23 year old (perhaps younger) wrote and composed this is insane.

David Sancious should have got some co-writing credits, probably.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Bruce Springsteen is a far better rock star than he is an author, Broadway star, or movie producer.

He’s a phenomenal author. Born To Run is the best biography/autobiography I’ve ever read by far. Listening to his music makes me feel like I’m his friend. Reading that book made me feel like I’m his brother.

I guess the point is that the man is uniquely gifted at more than just being a rocker. Celebrate all of it.

• Like 2

'Born to Run' was a poor choice of title for his autobiography.  It's already been used as a book title by several other people, and more appropriately.  Let's be honest, Bruce hasn't exactly run far, has he?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Rizla said:

'Born to Run' was a poor choice of title for his autobiography.  It's already been used as a book title by several other people, and more appropriately.  Let's be honest, Bruce hasn't exactly run far, has he?

I fought with thinking the same.

I thought it was a little lazy but equally, like a lot of his art, it is multi layered (I often think that this is why he is a misunderstood artist).

On the face of it, it looks like a lazy cash-in and a tired and basic metaphor. But the book described in great detail the darkness and disquiet in his character. Regardless of whether he has moved much physically, he has a restlessness of the soul that is constantly born to run.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Beautiful Loser said:

He’s a phenomenal author. Born To Run is the best biography/autobiography I’ve ever read by far. Listening to his music makes me feel like I’m his friend. Reading that book made me feel like I’m his brother.

I guess the point is that the man is uniquely gifted at more than just being a rocker. Celebrate all of it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Some good stories in there that were fun to read. That said, it didn’t really provide much information on his first marriage which is a pretty major omission. And after I was done with it I didn’t have any particular urge to go back and re-read any part of it. I actually the biography that came out shortly before the autobiography (can’t remember the author. Carlson or something like that?) to be a better read.

• Like 1