Wout

Backstreets versus Jungleland

Backstreets versus Jungleland  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Backstreets or Jungleland

• Backstreets
    • Jungleland

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2018 at 04:00 PM

Backstreets... Because its one of the rawest emotional Springsteen songs ever. 

• Like 3

This is not possible to choice!! Both songs are epic so i can’t vote. Those songs are from the same level as Racing in the Street and New York Serenade. 

Trivia, Backstreets is repeated 35 times in the song Backstreets. So it may influence the voting process. 

Hard to compare - there is really very little these songs have in common aside from being longer than the other songs no the album. I haven't voted yet, because I simply can't decide. they are both excellent songs, but neither of them make my top ten Bruce songs - and incidentally, Thunder Road and She's the One are my personal favorites from BTR.

I will say that I think Jland is underappreciated by fans in that so many people reduce it to obsessing over Clarence's signature solo, and forget that there is so much more to the song. The violin/piano intro, the snarling guitar break, the different musical segments, the mystery in the lyrics - what is really going on here?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I will say that I think Jland is underappreciated by fans in that so many people reduce it to obsessing over Clarence's signature solo, and forget that there is so much more to the song. The violin/piano intro, the snarling guitar break, the different musical segments, the mystery in the lyrics - what is really going on here?

...and even the introduction before, with Meeting Across The River as a sort of prologue to Jungleland (but on the other hand, just seeing Meeting as only a prologue to Jungleland, does Meeting no justice as a song that can also stand on its own).

Not an original thought, but over the years it was sometimes said The Magic Rat and the Barefoot Girl are the same people as Spanish Johnny and Puerto Rican Janey.

Or maybe not? Who is the Barefoot Girl? Is she the Magic Rat's lover? Or is she a-lover-in-disguise, and she conspires with his enemies, reason the Magic Rat is shot and she survives? She guides him to the tunnels uptown, so that her REAL lover can gun the Magic Rat and his own dream down, and she knows this will happen?

Or maybe not, the lyics and the music and the singing and the violin intro and the most famous sax solo in the history of popular music all part of Bruce Springsteen's  own mysterious West Side Story.

But, and in defense of Backsteets, a song where it is not even sure if the song is about a man or a woman (or better: a boy and a girl) or two males (two boys), can also lay some claims to mystery:) (and all the other things that are so great about Backstreets).

Jungleland.

It's always been my favourite Bruce song. Absolutely majestic both lyrically and musically. Great story, great characters, great sax solo. I love the arrangement in the song and how it sounds like a street opera would sound. You listen to it and just imagine yourself in downtown Manhattan around midnight.

I love Backstreets as well. Raw emotional power with great lyrics and melody.

Hard to choose between two of Bruce's very best...but it has to be Jungleland every time for me.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I’m surprised to hear this.  I’ve never thought that at all.  It’s an amazing epic story.  Love JLand.  

But if there’s a choice, it’s Backstreets every time for me. 

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

The sax solo is my least favourite part of the song! And I love that solo... But the rest of the song is what it's all about. 

• Like 1

I was listening to random favourite tracks from archive releases on my way home tonight... And I listened to Backstreets from Roxy... People must have wondered if he'd gone insane with the Sad Eyes interlude. He sounds like a psychopath or at least someone who's unhealthily obsessed and disproportionately raging about being dumped. 

• Like 3

There is a Dodge in Jungleland so it wins on that alone (I have a nice vision of a barefoot girl on the hood of a Red 68 Hemi Charger R/T). I also respect the fact that the Rat made her take her shoes off to avoid damaging the paint with them even if he later had to drive all night to find her another pair. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I feel that if you have one chance to play one of his songs to convince a non-Bruceite about the greatness of his music, that song would be Jungleland.  It best encompasses everything that is great about Bruce and the ESB.

Having said that, my fandom began in 1975 with the release of BTR.  And since day one, Backstreets was my favorite and has continued to be my favorite that Bruce has to offer.  It reaches me on an emotional level that is hard to explain.  I remember reading somewhere, I think maybe it was from the legendary critic Greil Marcus, talking about moments of transcendence where you can hear an artist overcoming their limitations and he cited Backstreets as Bruce's moment.  And that's the word I think best describes Backstreets, it's transcendent.

And to add on to Captain Puget's story, Backstreets helped me big time.  The first Bruce bootleg I ever acquired was a cassette of the famous 78 Agora show, which I copied from a friend in I believe the summer of 1981.  That show remains my all-time favorite to listen to, and the Backstreets/Sad Eyes version is IMO second to none.  Anyway, during that time I went through a particularly nasty breakup that was emotionally devastating and drove me into some dark places.  That Agora version of Backstreets got me through so many bad days, giving me some comfort that I wasn't the only one who had been lied to and about.  Isn't it wonderful what power music can have?

On the Backstreets until the end, indeed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain Puget said:

Trivia, Backstreets is repeated 35 times in the song Backstreets. So it may influence the voting process. 

I only used to count the number of times Hiding on the Backstreets was repeated at the end.  Which is 26 BTW.  ;)

• Like 1

Hiding on the backstreets
Running for our lives at night on them backstreets
Running on the backstreets
Running on the backstreets
Taking it on them backstreets together
On the backstreets until the end
To go hiding on the backstreets tonight

• Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Why is the poll closed already?

Uuuuh, I have no idea!

I am fairly certain I set the closing date on Sept. 23. 

Very weird :unsure:

I guess the poets round here don't vote at all, they just stand back and let it all be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We could organize the poll again :) 

Or just declare Backstreets as the winner, I'd be alright with that B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I didn't get around to making up my mind and now I don't have to!

1 hour ago, berlintramp said:

I never voted cause I thought there was time :(

You'll most likely get the chance again as I expect this could be The Greatest Springsteen Song poll tournament final.

I'll retract what I said about not doing a final if these are the last two based on this, but 2 days isn't enough time to determine a clear winner.

Teenage me would have had a tough choice with this one, but adult me has no problem, it’s Backstreets by a mile.    The themes of lost love, lost youth and lost innocence resonate far more with older me than a rock and roll fable with guitars flashing like switchblades.   While the Clemons solo and violin intro make Jungle land a great musical number, the power of the Backstreets lyric with Bruce’s vocals and some  of Roy’s best work make it an equal  performance matched with the better story. 

• Like 6