Sign in to follow this  
A Saint in the city

Jim Kerr and Bruce...

There are two bands I go to see live these days - Bruce and Simple Minds, so it was good to read this tribute by Jim Kerr on the bands Facebook page. 

The Minds are touring USA soon, go and see them if you get a chance..... 

NEW JERSEY - HERE WE COME! Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank, New Jersey. 26 September. 

My father is currently fascinated with Bruce Springsteen. Already a longtime  admirer of his songs, Dad only recently read Bruce's 'Born To Run', detailing in the singer's own words - the lifetime journey taken by Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen. Born on September 23, 1949, in Long Branch, New Jersey.

Both Charlie Burchill and I also admire Bruce and his band. And as with much of his music, we cannot recommend his book highly enough.
The story belongs to Bruce. And only Bruce. We all have our individual story after all.
Nevertheless, his account of what it takes to put together a band, then roll with the punches - as you go out on the road from a very early age - learning to deal with all involved - and rollercoaster - ing 'tween all manner of highs to lows - while attempting to turn insane dreams into reality etc - is one that many who have made a similar journey will identity with 100%. I certainly did, and as a result, I consider it to be the best book I have come across, as written by a rock n roll performer.

Coincidentally. Just yesterday I was interviewed by Ed Condran for the Asbury Park Press. The coincidence being that anyone who knows much about Springsteen, will be well aware of the singer's connection to Asbury Park. (His debut album, titled Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. was released in January 1973, it established him as a critical favorite.)
 That album was also a fave of mine. I heard it as an "import" album, before its official UK release. All thanks that is, to my friend Rab Mc Gill, a neighbour who lived in the same tower block in Toryglen, Glasgow.

What else to say then? We truly can't wait to get on stage in New Jersey. Hope to see you there!

• Like 1

I, quite literally - and genuinely - fell asleep during Simple Minds' set at Werchter a few years ago, waking only to the Don't You Forget About Me finale, which admittedly was pretty good.

Wouldn't go out of my way to see them again .

• Like 1

I like Simple Minds a lot too! 

Although I only know their hits... Don't you, Alive & Kicking', Mandela Day, Waterfront, Promised you a miracle, etc. 

Anyway, the above post sounds like they might cover a Bruce song? Or is it just me? 

1 hour ago, Growin' Up said:

I, quite literally - and genuinely - fell asleep during Simple Minds' set at Werchter a few years ago, waking only to the Don't You Forget About Me finale, which admittedly was pretty good.

Understandable. Had the misfortune to share a flat '80-81, in Edinburgh, with a bloke that loved them. Cemented my opinion, and never had cause to change it.

Look at Jim Kerr being all hipster with his "I was listening to him before his first album was out". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Did the same thing during a Fleetwood Mac show as a uni student - a self indulgent Mick Fleetwood drum solo did it for me - so know what you mean.

Saw them years ago.  TYou cannot love them but they have one of the most amazing song I know: Belfast Child 

I nodded off, in Belfast, during TGOTJ Tour.

His falsetto woke me up - that was a giggle.

Hey, this should have gone in the unpopular opinion thread.

Don't think much of Simple Minds.

• Like 2

Nice words from Jim, but SM do nothing for me.  Boring snoring.

Chrissie Hynde was very complimentary about Jim for different reasons. ;)

Sitting on the fence on this one as have a soft spot simply because Promise you a Miracle and All the Things she said brings back happy memories....Not up there with fave bands but wouldnt say no to seeing them if i got a ticket just for the sheer nostalgia x

• Like 2

For a short time in the early 80s, Simple Minds made some great, adventurous and very exiting music.:)

The first two albums are nothing special, the band just developing themselves (they got the time and the opportunity to do that), with the first signs of greatness on Side 2 of Real To Real Cacophony, the 2nd album. Empires And Dance (1980), Sons And Fascination/Sister Feelings Call (1981) and New Gold Dream (1982) are all great albums. They lost it a little bit on Sparkle In The Rain (1984), still a good album.

Then they lost it all.:o And how sad is it when your most well-known song, your greatest hit,  is in fact a song you did not write yourself?

• Like 1

Saw Simple Minds a couple of times during the 80's. My mate was really into them at the time and I went with him to see them at the SECC in Glasgow and a big show they did at Ibrox Stadium around 1986 I think. They were a good live band but I was never a big fan. Had no idea Jim Kerr and Charlie Burchill were Bruce fans.

SM were the first band I saw live. Twas at the Birmingham NEC on their 'Street Fighting Years' tour. They were great and I often return to the New Gold Dream, Sparkle in the Rain, Once Upon a Time and Street Fighting Years albums. Not so much the other stuff, especially later years. Best of all though is the 'Live in the City of Light' live album - perhaps too bombastic and 'big' sounding for some but I loves it, especially 'Ghostdancing'. 

• Like 1

Seems to a common theme developing here..... Bands that have sent us to sleep.

I saw Dylan at Hammersmith Odeon in the early 90's. (92 possibly?.)... Fell asleep about 10 songs in and woke up in the encores just in time to see him joined on stage by Ronnie Wood for "Like a Rolling Stone" 

The only time i feel a sleep at a concert was back in the early 80's. Bad Company just sucked. 

I have never gone to sleep at a gig... You're all lightweights. 

• Like 1

I'd been to the pub beforehand. AND I'd met Bruce and turned down his autograph cos I already had it.

Those whisky and oranges have a lot to answer for.

• Sad 1

Jim Kerr writing on his FB page today......

BREAKING A GOLDEN RULE
We broke one of our own rules yesterday.

As fortune has it, none other Bruce Springsteen was performing on Broadway last night. His one man show has been running for 5 nights per week since last November, and tickets for the already sold out shows are as scarce as gold dust. It is as though the entire world wants to come and see Bruce play his songs and tell his stories, in what is a beautiful and intimate Broadway theatre. And just like everyone else, Charlie and I were desperate to catch the show.

That Bruce's manager, Jon Landau, was able and willing to secure us two seats, was genuinely thrilling. And as for the show? Well, it was every bit as impressive as you would imagine. Only a hundred times more. 

To be seated about twenty feet from Springsteen as he belted out Born To Run on an acoustic guitar, is not something we will ever forget. It was an honour to be sat there.

After the show, we broke one of our own (silly) golden rules. The rule that states we never go backstage to visit an artist after we go to gigs. Why so? I guess it is because of our own experience, wherein after our gigs, we are rarely in the mood to get into conversations. All we want in truth is to be quiet usually.

That may be so. However! When you get invited to go back and say hello to Bruce Springsteen? Who is going to say no to that?

And what did we talk about? We spoke about his music and his book.
We queried what it feels like to play the same venue, night after night, for months on end?
He asked about our tour and our gig in New Jersey. Plus he and Charlie spoke about piano and guitars.
Most importantly we had the chance to genuinely thank him for all that the pleasure that he has given. And it felt so good to be able to do that.

A perfect day then. But today is another day, and we have work to do.
Our flight to Montreal is booked and we will arrive later on this afternoon, fully refreshed and recharged for our next Simple Minds show.

Canada here we come!

IMG_0032.JPG

• Like 1

Ive had a couple of on line chats with Jim Kerr and he's  genuine Bruce fan - definitely knows his stuff.

Being Scottish and getting properly into music in the early 80's, Simple Minds were "our" band.  Despite that, it was hard to stay loyal after Sparkle in the Rain as musically they were awful.

I've been to see them a few times in recent years though and they are surprisingly good.   

• Like 1