Your Top 5 Official live concert releases

On 1/24/2020 at 9:02 AM, BruceHistory said:

Wow, it’s amazing there aren’t more picks for 8/20/84! To me, it’s doesn’t get much better.... but, that’s what makes this so fun: all of our opinions.

The 84/85 tour was so much fun but they never sounded as good as they did in 1988.

1) 8/20/84

2) LA/88

3) London/81

4) Stockholm/88

5) LA/99

Brad

On 1/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I love this one and even though I don't play it completely as much as I used to, it'll always be one of my Series favourites. I was even playing it in the gym earlier today, that 30 minute sequence from "The Promised Land" to "Thunder Road". I hadn't heard "My Hometown" in ages and it seemed only right to listen to such a meaningful one. And we've talked about it before on here, but man I love this "Darkness on the Edge of Town" so much. Yeah, that fire evident in the versions from '78 - '81 is gone, but I think that's important, because this isn't a show played with fiery rage, it's a show of reflection and acceptance of everything that's brought Bruce and his bandmates to this very moment. The good, the bad and the ugly have all meant something leading into this homecoming and for this very moment Bruce's vocal emphasises that. 

As I was at that show I can confirm how special it was live. I got my first bootleg cassette of it in May '88. I was just starting a relationship with another Bruce fan (our first social engagement was the 5/18/88 show at MSG :)), and when I got the cassette I invited her to my apartment, and we slow danced to that Drift Away.

• Like 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get what you mean in the sense that they're not exactly available to the public - like in shops, I know they're available to everyone - and are more so something for the diehard fan, but they're def

No argument there. Still blows me away. All the different 'best tour' arguments out there can't make me change my mind from thinking this was the E Street Band at it's pinnacle.

5. Roxy '78 4. Los Angeles '85 3. Detroit '88 2. Tempe '80 1. E.Rutherford '81

Posted Images

1. 12/31/80 (remix) - simply the greatest Springsteen show of all time, and the original River tour (in my opinion) was the E Street Band's peak. Can't argue with that epic opener of Night / Prove It All Night, a fun Sherry Darling, Rendezvous, and You Can Look, plus the rare Held Up Without a Gun and acoustic version of Price You Pay

2. 7/28/12 - That setlist. Frankie. Lost in the Flood. Where the Bands Are. The most emotional Jungleland available. And the addition of the horns make even the most played songs sound fresh (especially Because the Night, Lonesome Day, Out in the Street). All around, the best sounding mix available on Nugs in my opinion, and one of the most consistent ones in terms of setlist and overall performance.

3. 4/22/08 - the most intense show the E Street band has performed since the 70s. There was raw emotion and passion put into every note, and you can feel it when listening back.

4. 9/11/16 - Part Rising show and part Greetings show, though technically a River show. A beautiful NYC Serenade to open, tons of polished and perfected oldies that have never sounded better (including Incident into Rosie into Light of Day!!)

5. 9/27/85 - We need more from '85. What a fun show all around, and the final three songs (Stand On It into the world premiere of Janey into Traveling Band) is just one of the best three packs of the archive series.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
33 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I bet there’s not too many who have kept their top 5 unaltered since the start of this thread. Such is the treasure of riches we’ve had since 2018. 

This post has had me skimming through the thread from the start and I've noticed every new post tends to retract a release from 2015 - 2018 and add one from 2019 onwards.

But on the subject of 2015 - 2018 releases...

On 10/29/2018 at 10:01 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I also hold that Buffalo '09 show in very high esteem. It's fucking brilliant. 

That opinion most certainly hasn't changed :lol:https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/06/17/previously-from-the-springsteen-archive-november-22nd-2009-buffalo-ny/, it's probably #6 at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 4:55 AM, musicdav24 said:

Roxy 7/7/78

Passaic 9/19/78

Passaic 9/20/78

Nassau Coliseum 12/29/80

New Jersey 8/20/84

New York 5/23/88

Listening to the HD files of Roxy ‘78 now. Not everyone loves the mix but absolutely no complaints about the sound quality through my Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones. It feels like being one of the lucky few there on that legendary night. What a show that must have been to be at. Seeing the ESB arguably at their peak in an arena of 500 people. Unreal. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Listening to the HD files of Roxy ‘78 now. Not everyone loves the mix but absolutely no complaints about the sound quality through my Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones. It feels like being one of the lucky few there on that legendary night. What a show that must have been to be at. Seeing the ESB arguably at their peak in an arena of 500 people. Unreal. 

I've always thought that release sounds spot on. Though I'm happy 99.99% of the time with the audio quality of these releases so my opinion might be worthless here. 

I mean, I think the Winterland #1 release sounds great too, but what do I know?! :lol:

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Thats what they were going for. It sounds close and loud.

• Like 2

My top five. Probably didn't change much.  I am basing on both sound quality and how much I listen to tracks from them when they come up in my shuffle rotation.

1. Passaic 9/20/78 - Still the gold standard for the archive series

2. Tempe 11/5/80 -BluRay Rip plus HD files of the songs from Nugs.  The best sounding official release by Bruce bar none in my opinion.

3. LA 9/27/85 - I prefer the sound and feel of this show to the 84 shows personally.

4. Nassau 12/31/80 - The remix is miles ahead of the original version. The mastering could be improved and if so it would move up my list to #3.

5. Helsinki 06/06/03 - I love the mix of this. Very detailed and excellent separation.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, unclejosh said:

My top five. Probably didn't change much.  I am basing on both sound quality and how much I listen to tracks from them when they come up in my shuffle rotation.

1. Passaic 9/20/78 - Still the gold standard for the archive series

2. Tempe 11/5/80 -BluRay Rip plus HD files of the songs from Nugs.  The best sounding official release by Bruce bar none in my opinion.

3. LA 9/27/85 - I prefer the sound and feel of this show to the 84 shows personally.

4. Nassau 12/31/80 - The remix is miles ahead of the original version. The mastering could be improved and if so it would move up my list to #3.

5. Helsinki 06/06/03 - I love the mix of this. Very detailed and excellent separation.

For the very best sound quality and mix, it’s very hard to argue against these being the top 5. I would only add East Rutherford 07/09/81 to it for 6 of the best for sound. 

• Like 1
On 6/20/2020 at 11:12 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

This post has had me skimming through the thread from the start and I've noticed every new post tends to retract a release from 2015 - 2018 and add one from 2019 onwards.

But on the subject of 2015 - 2018 releases...

That opinion most certainly hasn't changed :lol:https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/06/17/previously-from-the-springsteen-archive-november-22nd-2009-buffalo-ny/, it's probably #6 at the moment. 

Buffalo has been in my top 5 since the day it was released.  One of the shows I had been desperately hoping for.  Great show generally, the C’s last show and the best ever version of the man’s best ever song: Lost in the Flood.

Great sound and mix too.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I like this as it calls out the fact that sound quality and mix are not the same.  Whilst I early don’t like a lot of Altschiller’s mixes, including this, St Louis and MSG 2000 especially, that criticism does not extend to the sound quality overall, which is inevitably stellar.  In fact, it has rendered my boots unlistenable to me which is a little sad but mostly an awesome blessing when you think about it and how lucky we are.

If they could just issue deluxe Clearmountain shows of the big releases (a 78 broadcast box set on Sony for example), everyone would be happy and they would make lots of money too!

• Like 3
On 1/27/2020 at 9:14 PM, Karembu said:

Some great lists here so thought it was about time I updated my own...

1) Passaic 19/09

2) Passaic 20/09

3) Nassau 31/12 remix

4) Stockholm 88

5) Buffalo 09

6) LA 85

7) East Rutherford 20/08

8) East Rutherford 93

9) MSG 88

10) Wembley 81

To quote Bob Seger, still the same...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

At this momemt it would be:

1. Passaic, September 20th, 1978

2. San Fransisco, December 15th, 1978

3. Uniondale, December 29th, 1980

4. Los Angeles, September 27th, 1985

5. East Rutherford, August 30th, 2016

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

At this momemt it would be:

1. Passaic, September 20th, 1978

2. San Fransisco, December 15th, 1978

3. Uniondale, December 29th, 1980

4. Los Angeles, September 27th, 1985

5. East Rutherford, August 30th, 2016

You pretty much nailed my favourites there.

That said.... All the archive releases are my loved ones. Treasure trove and ones to have. Thanks Bruce Inc.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chevy396 said:

You pretty much nailed my favourites there.

That said.... All the archive releases are my loved ones. Treasure trove and ones to have. Thanks Bruce Inc.

I love these live concerts and hope they will contonue to be released for many years to come.  As honorable mention i would like to add to the list:

St. Louis, August 23rd, 2008. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Today my top five is

1. LA '85
  2. Nassau 29/12/90
  3. Philly '99
  4. MSG '88
  5. NJ '81

I wonder what it'll be tomorrow (which technically is today)?

That's a nice list. That Philly '99 show is fantastic and it might turn up in my list too the next time it is updated. 

• Like 1
On 6/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, Jimmy James said:

As of right now

1. 9/20/78 Passaic

2. 12/29/80 Uniondale

3. 9/14/16 Foxborough

4. 4/22/14 Pittsburgh

5. 12/31/75 Upper Derby 

Mine still hasn't changed. And the top 2 most likely will never change! :P

• Like 2

I just played Tempe 1980 from start to finish. In the early part of the River tour he was at a certain peak. I really love this recording.

• Like 1
On 6/20/2020 at 8:50 PM, Buddhabone said:

Current top 5...

5. Roxy '78

4. Uniondale 1980/12/29

3. Los Angeles '85

2. Detroit '88

1. E.Rutherford '81

1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

I just played Tempe 1980 from start to finish. In the early part of the River tour he was at a certain peak. I really love this recording.

Is it in your top 5 yet?