Sign in to follow this  
Paolo's Circus Story

The Greatest Springsteen Song: Round 4, B-Block

THE FIVE MOST VOTED FOR WILL GO THROUGH TO ROUND 5 - SUDDEN DEATH IS ACTIVE - YOU'VE GOT TWO WEEKS TO VOTE  

75 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. THE GREATEST SPRINGSTEEN SONG

    • Thunder Road
      59
    • Because the Night
      15
    • Prove It All Night
      15
    • Independence Day
      23
    • Incident on 57th Street
      47
    • 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
      21
    • Racing In The Street
      49
    • The Promised Land
      22
    • No Surrender
      18
    • Jungleland
      46

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2018 at 12:00 AM

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Seriously, how is it so close? Thunder Road is not only the greatest BS song it is the greatest song ever written!

 

42 minutes ago, J said:

I think almost everyone has voted for it... 

Seven people don't even think it is one of the best five from this round!!! Very, very odd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, J said:

It's a perfect song, from start to finish. It's as great a piece of songwriting as Thunder Road IMHO. 

I actually prefer Sandy over Jungleland & Incident.

I think the reason is the first person narrative.

Oh, and the hailing fireworks and Madam Marie, not to mention the girls who promise to unsnap their jeans...

Plus the accordion. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

 

Seven people don't even think it is one of the best five from this round!!! Very, very odd...

Where do you see how many people have voted in total? 

I'm one of those seven... Not because I don't think Thunder Road deserves to be in the final but because :

1. It always wins these things and it would be nice to see something different; and/but

2. I knew it would get through anyhow so I wanted to give other songs a slightly better chance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, J said:

Where do you see how many people have voted in total? 

I'm one of those seven... Not because I don't think Thunder Road deserves to be in the final but because :

1. It always wins these things and it would be nice to see something different; and/but

2. I knew it would get through anyhow so I wanted to give other songs a slightly better chance. 

At the top of the page I can see how many people have voted, currently 53.

Understand (sort of!) why you didn't vote for TR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

At the top of the page I can see how many people have voted, currently 53.

Understand (sort of!) why you didn't vote for TR.

Ah right... That must only be visible on the desktop site, I'm not seeing it on my phone. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BECAUSE THE NIGHT BELONGS TO THE LOVERS

BECAUSE THE NIGHT BELONGS TO THE LOVERS

BECAUSE THE NIGHT BELONGS TO THE LOVERS!!!!!!! WHOOOOHOOOOOOOOOHW

 

BECAAAAUUUSEE THE NIIIIIIIIIGHT

 

(insert smoking guitar solo here!!)

 

HOLY CRAP WHAT A MAGNIFICENT SONG!!! VOTE, PEOPLE VOTE!

I know most Americans have the tendency to vote for the wrong side but just DO IT!!!!

 

 

Oh and I voted for Incident and Racing too.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 2:00 AM, Racing on Thunder Road said:

The Promised Land is right up there with Born To Run in my opinion, should be getting way more votes.

Agree. Promised Land, Thunder Road,Badlands, Brilliant Disguise and You're Missing will make my top 10 every single day.Rest depends on the mood

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wout said:

BECAUSE THE NIGHT BELONGS TO THE LOVERS

 

Yes.

In fantastic live versions.

The re-worked, 'new' studio version on The Promise; not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lampi said:

Yes.

In fantastic live versions.

The re-worked, 'new' studio version on The Promise; not so much.

I think Paolo's said that the poll is for whatever versions of each song you like the most, so not just the studio versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 9:33 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm fed up of the spammers and the trolls and how they're allowed to continue doing this on what were and what could be good threats when great posters such as Badlands_89 are banned. Not a forum I want to spend so much time on when that's the case. 

Don't let them drive you away, you have bought a lot of fun and enjoyment to this site.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lampi said:

Yes.

In fantastic live versions.

The re-worked, 'new' studio version on The Promise; not so much.

How new is that version? To me it sounds like predominantly new vocals with maybe a few lines original vocals? Surely most of the music is original though no? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, J said:

How new is that version? To me it sounds like predominantly new vocals with maybe a few lines original vocals? Surely most of the music is original though no? 

From Brucebase:

BECAUSE THE NIGHT - V1 3:17 LM-3 / DO-3
BECAUSE THE NIGHT - V2 3:24 DDO / WAY / ESRR
BECAUSE THE NIGHT - V3 3:22 PROMISE

Note: V1 was recorded at Atlantic Studios on June 1, 1977 with the lyrics not finished. V2 was likely recorded July 1, 1977 at Atlantic Studios (or, less likely, September 27, 1977 at The Record Plant),and is less embryonic but still with some unfinished lyrics. In late September 1977, fellow NJ poet/rocker Patti Smith, who was also recording at The Record Plant, became aware of the tune via Jimmy Iovine (who was engineering both artists). The not-quite-finished song was handed to Smith, who fine-tuned the lyrics and released the song in March 1978, three months before the Darkness album was issued – and it was a worldwide hit. The officially released V3 uses Smith's lyrics and is a modern vocal take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll register my complaint for the amount of votes for No Surrender ....On the other hand ... Thats a hell of a list .... But i do love No Surrender ...i still remember turning over the vinyl on the day BITUSA was released and going crazy for that song. Still one of my favorites.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

From Brucebase:

BECAUSE THE NIGHT - V1 3:17 LM-3 / DO-3
BECAUSE THE NIGHT - V2 3:24 DDO / WAY / ESRR
BECAUSE THE NIGHT - V3 3:22 PROMISE

Note: V1 was recorded at Atlantic Studios on June 1, 1977 with the lyrics not finished. V2 was likely recorded July 1, 1977 at Atlantic Studios (or, less likely, September 27, 1977 at The Record Plant),and is less embryonic but still with some unfinished lyrics. In late September 1977, fellow NJ poet/rocker Patti Smith, who was also recording at The Record Plant, became aware of the tune via Jimmy Iovine (who was engineering both artists). The not-quite-finished song was handed to Smith, who fine-tuned the lyrics and released the song in March 1978, three months before the Darkness album was issued – and it was a worldwide hit. The officially released V3 uses Smith's lyrics and is a modern vocal take.

I see. Thanks! 

On that one he occasionally does quite well at sounding authentic then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 6:13 AM, J said:

I'm one of those seven... Not because I don't think Thunder Road deserves to be in the final but because :

1. It always wins these things and it would be nice to see something different; and/but

2. I knew it would get through anyhow so I wanted to give other songs a slightly better chance. 

My feelings exactly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I embarrassingly asked for this for a while last year, I've realised the cringeyness (took me a while) of having "Poll Driver" as my membership status on here.

So, would it be possible for one of the mods to change it back to "Member" please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Even though I embarrassingly asked for this for a while last year, I've realised the cringeyness (took me a while) of having "Poll Driver" as my membership status on here.

So, would it be possible for one of the mods to change it back to "Member" please?

oh Paolo dont be embarrsed

i have so many things to be embarssed on her but i just laugh and you know one day we'll look back and it will all be funny 

its fun - the poll driver

just like it was fun when you asked for it

i.actually know real pole drivers - because my work sells SED poles - i imangine you working out your polls while driving around in a big tractor - an Italian tractor of course ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Even though I embarrassingly asked for this for a while last year, I've realised the cringeyness (took me a while) of having "Poll Driver" as my membership status on here.

So, would it be possible for one of the mods to change it back to "Member" please?

I think the title is apt because you literally drove the polls that gave a lot of people, me included, pleasure and a reason to come here. If you are over it or your frustration with other aspects of the Lake mean you don't want to continue after this one is done that is something I will completely endorse because I am very grateful for what you have done. BUT you will still qualify as the poll driver from my perspective. Title under your avatar or not Paolo.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

prove it could do with a bit more love

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of these, only "Incident," "Sandy," and "Racing" would make my own list of favorites, so those are the three I picked (I like all the others, but they're not quite in my top tier).  Those three are all Bruce at his absolute finest as a writer and storyteller.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this