Sign in to follow this  
oskari

Why Unofficial Videos Doesn't Get Removed from Youtube

I think they leave the majority of all that stuff up there because it would be way too much hard work to police and they probably figure that fan shot footage doesn't really harm their finances and perhaps they even think that the fans appreciate it so why not just roll with it.

The only times I've heard of them pulling videos is when people use official material... like dubbing video with archive releases, but even then they don't pull those all the time as there are clearly vids like that on YouTube today. 

• Like 1

A lot of Ollie’s videos are fan video with the official archive audio, they don’t get removed. I have on my channel two versions of Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out from Cape Town. The first is my short video from my phone with the phone sound. The second is the complete song, all 14 odd minutes of it, with as much footage as I was able to scrape together from other uploaders with the official audio. It’s also never been removed.

On a side note, I was watching some of the videos they uploaded yesterday from the Barcelona DVD. As I scrolled through the official videos on the Springsteen channel, I started noticing the watch count. Dancing in the Dark has over 100 million views, for example. Yes, I know other videos have had many more views but when you add up all the Bruce videos and total the watch count, it’s in the billions… That’s pretty impressive I think.

• Like 3

Yeah, they have removed full shows. But a video of a track or two usually doesn't get removed.

1 hour ago, SteveJhb said:

A lot of Ollie’s videos are fan video with the official archive audio, they don’t get removed.

I seem to remember that some of Ollie's vids got removed at some point. 

That’s free advertisement, in an era in which peer advertising is the only “promotion” worth of its name.

• Like 1

you.tube elivated me from a casual fan to directing all my dispossible income to Bruce inc

this is probably their smartest marketing move in decades .....

hmmm.then its probably just laziness!

maybe Bruce sees it as an extension of the tapers back in the day 

bootlegging didnt hurt his career or his fame

spair a thought for fans of other artists

you wont find any Garth Brooks on u.tube

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

you.tube elivated me from a casual fan to directing all my dispossible income to Bruce inc

this is probably their smartest marketing move in decades .....

hmmm.then its probably just laziness!

maybe Bruce sees it as an extension of the tapers back in the day 

bootlegging didnt hurt his career or his fame

spair a thought for fans of other artists

you wont find any Garth Brooks on u.tube

He did sue bootleggers though back in the day. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J said:

Yes he did.

He also chucked a cake at a lass once, i bet he still likes cake.

And yes, i've got no idea what my point is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

A lot of Ollie’s videos are fan video with the official archive audio, they don’t get removed.

7 hours ago, J said:

I seem to remember that some of Ollie's vids got removed at some point. 

Given some of Ollie's videos are arguably better than the official stuff, removing them would just look like bad sportsmanship....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

A lot of Ollie’s videos are fan video with the official archive audio, they don’t get removed. I have on my channel two versions of Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out from Cape Town. The first is my short video from my phone with the phone sound. The second is the complete song, all 14 odd minutes of it, with as much footage as I was able to scrape together from other uploaders with the official audio. It’s also never been removed.

On a side note, I was watching some of the videos they uploaded yesterday from the Barcelona DVD. As I scrolled through the official videos on the Springsteen channel, I started noticing the watch count. Dancing in the Dark has over 100 million views, for example. Yes, I know other videos have had many more views but when you add up all the Bruce videos and total the watch count, it’s in the billions… That’s pretty impressive I think.

I think you just answered oskari's question!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J said:

Where did you hear this?

4 hours ago, 1234 said:

Where did you hear this?

i remember about a warehouse full of vinyl.bootleg

that bootleg was making more momey than he was

sorry im scant on remembering more details of late

I know this is one of those eternal debates but, pretty big difference between uploading a phone vid to YT, transparently, and manufacturing and selling for a profit bootleg vinyl/CD/DVD etc for which the creator of the art/music gets zilch...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1234 said:

Where did you hear this?

It was big news at the time.

Brilliantly documented (among many others) in Clinton Heylin's  BOOTLEG!  THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SECRET RECORDING INDUSTRY.

Essential reading for any music fan.

I wonder why Bruce stopped taking people to court over it?

• Like 2

There used to be big money involved with the bootleg business. I'm sure Jungleland torrent site has a "silent agreement" from Bruce & Co. Internet pretty much killed the whole bootleg business.

In the same time Bruce missed a 100 million dollar business when they didn't see an opportunity sell live shows during golden age (when CDs peaked). Now it's just pennies compared to what I could have been.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Brilliantly documented (among many others) in Clinton Heylin's  BOOTLEG!  THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SECRET RECORDING INDUSTRY.

Not contesting this, just surprised because I have devoured (or thought so, anyway) all Springsteen-related press wherever it occurred. But I live in the U.S. so perhaps it wasn't reported here. Strange. Lastly, perhaps Springsteen stopped suing when it became more of a fan-to-fan based enterprise?

3 hours ago, 1234 said:

Not contesting this, just surprised because I have devoured (or thought so, anyway) all Springsteen-related press wherever it occurred. But I live in the U.S. so perhaps it wasn't reported here. Strange. Lastly, perhaps Springsteen stopped suing when it became more of a fan-to-fan based enterprise?

I no longer have the cuttings, but RS certainly covered it at the time.

7 hours ago, oskari said:

There used to be big money involved with the bootleg business. I'm sure Jungleland torrent site has a "silent agreement" from Bruce & Co. Internet pretty much killed the whole bootleg business.

In the same time Bruce missed a 100 million dollar business when they didn't see an opportunity sell live shows during golden age (when CDs peaked). Now it's just pennies compared to what I could have been.

Like all recorded music it's too easy to get nowadays. But there's another factor that many care about (other than vinyl of course) and that's replication vs. duplication. In essence replication are "real" CDs whereas duplicates are "fake" CD-Rs. I think Bruce would sell more shows and the future value of those titles would be tremendously higher if they were replicated. Anyone can download for free then burn/duplicate CD-Rs at home but it's cost-prohibitive to order replicated discs unless you need like a thousand.

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Without digging it out I believe it was Vicky Vinyl that got busted wasn't it?

13 minutes ago, LONDONCALLING said:

Without digging it out I believe it was Vicky Vinyl that got busted wasn't it?

Yeah, I think you're right.  Also, Lou Cohan, who was a HUGE Bruce fan and (I think) was involved in the Thunder Road fanzine.