Bosstralian

St Louis 2008...Sophie?

Recommended Posts

This may have been covered elsewhere and /or be common knowledge amongst the more clued in around here.

But I've been revisiting the St Louis 2008 release lately, and noticed that Bruce on several occasions either mentions or directly addresses a "Sophie" in the between song banter.

Can anyone clue me in as to who he is referencing / talking to...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this on a blog.

Bruce referenced Miss Sophie several times during the show and dedicated Twist and Shout to her. For those of you who’ve never heard of her, Miss Sophie was living in St. Louis in 1980 when her son and daughter went to a movie, spotted Bruce sitting by himself and invited him back to their house to meet their parents. Bruce accepted the invitation from these complete strangers and Miss Sophie cooked for Bruce and her kids.  So, 28 years later, Bruce was obviously still fond of Miss Sophie, who was sitting in the family and friends section of the arena on this night. 

  • Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just when I think I couldn't possibly love the man more, a story like this appears and I am, once again, so moved by his humanity, kindness, and basic decency.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Can you imagine a rock star going to the cinema on their own these days. He was hardly unknown in 1980 after the success of Born to Run and Darkness albums. 

It was much easier for famous people to move about in public pre-internet and pre-cellphones though. 

Also... Dylan does shit like that still to this day... he was picked up by the cops in Jersey when he was trying to find the house that Bruce wrote BTR in and people reported a suspicious looking hobo wandering around their neighbourhood. It took him a while to convince the cops he was Bob Dylan... I believe he had to get his tour manager to speak to them to convince them.

He also joined a public bus tour around Liverpool which visited John Lennon's childhood home, instead of just contacting the place and asking for an our of hours visit. Apparently none of the other people on the tour recognised him, however he was recognised by the tour guide at the Lennon house. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Can you imagine a rock star going to the cinema on their own these days. He was hardly unknown in 1980 after the success of Born to Run and Darkness albums. 

Paul McCartney often travels alone - eg.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2017-06-30/ticket-to-ride-sir-paul-mccartney-travels-alone-by-train/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Racing on Thunder Road said:

That's a very cool story. Can't imagine many other rock stars would go home with a family of strangers for a homecooked meal at their house.

Maybe he just wanted a free meal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Racing on Thunder Road said:

That's a very cool story. Can't imagine many other rock stars would go home with a family of strangers for a homecooked meal at their house.

Especially as this happened in STL. :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Especially as this happened in STL. :D 

Love STL.:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her name is Sophie Satanovsky.  Her son Steve and Daughter Lisa sat with Bruce at a movie at the Bentwood movie theater in 1981 when they saw Stardust Memories. They invited him back to their house after the show...here is Sophie’s telling of the story several years later...

 

There have been articles written about the encounter over the years. My friend Vahe wrote an article for the St. Louis Post Dispatch before the 2005 Bruce show at the Fox. He spoke with Lisa who told him that Steve Satanovsky had passed away from diabetes complications a few years earlier...I’ll see if I can find it. 

  • Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J said:

Dylan does shit like that still to this day... he was picked up by the cops in Jersey when he was trying to find the house that Bruce wrote BTR in and people reported a suspicious looking hobo wandering around their neighbourhood. It took him a while to convince the cops he was Bob Dylan... I believe he had to get his tour manager to speak to them to convince them.

There seems to be a pattern... :D

Musicians apparently like to observe each other houses from a distance, while they try to remain unrecognized and later have trouble convincing the security/cops of their identity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phantomengineer said:

Maybe he just wanted a free meal.

And the damn bum also steals and completely chugs beers from folks in the pit!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Here is  Vahe’s Article from 2005:

And I see that Sophie passed away in 2017 at the age of 91. 

There was a great article where Bruce talked about the visit but I can’t remember where it was posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, J said:

Also... Dylan does shit like that still to this day... he was picked up by the cops in Jersey when he was trying to find the house that Bruce wrote BTR in and people reported a suspicious looking hobo wandering around their neighbourhood. It took him a while to convince the cops he was Bob Dylan... I believe he had to get his tour manager to speak to them to convince them.

 

Arrested Development: Bob Dylan, Held For Questioning Under Suspicion of "Autism"

This Article discusses an encounter Bob Dylan had with the law and its meaning in the context of the social constructions of mental disability, in general, and on autism in particular. The author does not speculate on Dylan's autism status.

On July 23, 2009, Bob Dylan was taken into custody by police in Long Branch, New Jersey, after complaints from residents that he was “suspicious” and perhaps “homeless.”1  According to arresting officer, Kristie Buble (twenty-two years old at the time of the incident), “We see a lot of people on our beat, and I wasn’t sure if he came from one of our hospitals or something.”

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254597709_Arrested_Development_Bob_Dylan_Held_For_Questioning_Under_Suspicion_of_Autism

 

Buble Esquire interview

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Silvia said:

There seems to be a pattern... :D

Musicians apparently like to observe each other houses from a distance, while they try to remain unrecognized and later have trouble convincing the security/cops of their identity.

And sometimes their own

Quote

 

The evening I interviewed Peter Wolf, he told me a story about one of the nights [Van] Morrison came back to town. He wouldn’t clarify the approximate date or give me any additional context. All he told me was this:

It’s late at night. Van Morrison is exhausted after his performance in Boston, but there’s one thing he still wants to do while he’s here. He gets into a car with Wolf and requests to be taken to an address. Wolf drives. They amble down Mass. Ave., headed out of Boston and into Cambridge. Nothing looks like it did in 1968, but then again, neither do the two men in the car. They turn onto a series of side streets. Once they’re close, Wolf slows down to a crawl, because neither of them has been here in a long, long time, and it looks barely familiar. Just past the intersection of Bay and Green streets, Wolf points out the window, to the left, where Morrison and Janet lived in 1968. Morrison sits there for a moment, gazing into the past. And then, without a word, they drive off.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gsquare said:

Found this on a blog.

Bruce referenced Miss Sophie several times during the show and dedicated Twist and Shout to her. For those of you who’ve never heard of her, Miss Sophie was living in St. Louis in 1980 when her son and daughter went to a movie, spotted Bruce sitting by himself and invited him back to their house to meet their parents. Bruce accepted the invitation from these complete strangers and Miss Sophie cooked for Bruce and her kids.  So, 28 years later, Bruce was obviously still fond of Miss Sophie, who was sitting in the family and friends section of the arena on this night. 

 

5 hours ago, PattyC said:

Her name is Sophie Satanovsky.  Her son Steve and Daughter Lisa sat with Bruce at a movie at the Bentwood movie theater in 1981 when they saw Stardust Memories. They invited him back to their house after the show...here is Sophie’s telling of the story several years later...

 

There have been articles written about the encounter over the years. My friend Vahe wrote an article for the St. Louis Post Dispatch before the 2005 Bruce show at the Fox. He spoke with Lisa who told him that Steve Satanovsky had passed away from diabetes complications a few years earlier...I’ll see if I can find it. 

I'd heard and / or read the story of the fan Bruce met at the movies and how his mum cooked for him...a version of it appears in virtually every bio.

I also remember reading that he still kept in touch with the mum and regularly gave her show tickets.

But I wasn't aware of her name. Thanks for the explanation, I can now sleep easy knowing who Sophie is and also with further affirmation that Bruce is as cool as fuck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Hey @PattyC, didn't Bruce also dance with her Daughter/Granddaughter during DITD at the 2008 show?  

I might have heard that, Jimmy, but I’m not sure. 

And it was actually 1980, not 1981. Bruce played the Kiel Opera House for two nights in 1980...October 17 and 18. He played Denver two nights later which is why Bruce mistakenly said that it had happened in Denver in one interview back then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now