Greasy Lake Community

I had no idea... (random trivial facts about music)

I had no idea until tonight that Bruce Hornsby was briefly a member of Ambrosia in 1982.

I listen to Hornsby fairly frequently and I have all of Ambrosia's albums, but play them less often, still I never knew there was a connection.

What about you? What are some trivial facts about music or artists that you were surprised to learn?

• Like 2
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched a documentary on the start of heavy metal the other night.  Didn't know Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath lost the tips of his fingers in an industrial accident. Which made him loosen the strin

Alice Cooper is a boy apparently.

Bob Dylan isn't Bob Dylan's real name

Posted Images

Peter Tork's father was an Econ prof at UConn, while I was there (but never took his class, as I didn't know then ;))

Mike Nesmith's mom invented Liquid Paper, aka White-out. Also, he wrote Different Drum (before The Monkees), made famous by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, JimCT said:

Peter Tork's father was an Econ prof at UConn, while I was there (but never took his class, as I didn't know then ;))

Mike Nesmith's mom invented Liquid Paper, aka White-out. Also, he wrote Different Drum (before The Monkees), made famous by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys.

Sticking with the Monkees...Davey Jones appeared as Ena Sharples grandson in a handful of episodes of the very long running UK soap Coronation Street in the early 60s

dont get me started on Mickey Dolenz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, JimCT said:

I knew that.

:D

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, robk1 said:

Sticking with the Monkees...Davey Jones appeared as Ena Sharples grandson in a handful of episodes of the very long running UK soap Coronation Street in the early 60s

And that.

I DIDN'T know that Ambrosia had so many albums. There you go.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, robk1 said:

Peter Noone made his debut on that show as well ;) 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, robk1 said:

And Davy was the Artful Dodger in Oliver! on stage :) 

• Like 2

From Mike Batt:

STEELEYE SPAN BECOME THE WOMBLES FOR A DAY

A bit from my unpublished autobiog, found on FB memories:

I was working on “All Around My Hat” with Steeleye Span, at the time the "Superwomble" single was released. In those days, to be on Top Of The Pops you had to mime, (it was technically easier for the show if you did, and in any case we Wombles had no option, - we didn’t have mouths!) - but to satisfy the Musicians’ Union you had to remake the entire record the night before your appearance, - in other words you were not allowed to mime to the record itself, but you were allowed to mime to a specially made track for the show. I could spend two pages explaining why, but trust me, that’s how it was.

So I’m in Air Studios with Steeleye Span when the message comes through that the Wombles are on Top Of The Pops the following day, with no time to go and make a bloody backing track, - I was busy with Steeleye. So I ask Steeleye if they’d mind playing the TV remake of “Superwomble", because the bloke from the Musicians’ Union was about to show up and “witness” that it was indeed being remade, and they sportingly agreed to do it. I taught them the track and we played it while the infamous Don Smith from the Musicians’ Union (known, as I have said earlier, as “Doctor Death” because of his miserable demeanour and intransigent attitude) watched from the control room. After the session, Don asked for everybody’s name. “Why do you want them?” I asked. “Because the people who play the track have to be the same people who are on the show tomorrow” says Don. This was a new one on me. But that’s what had to happen. Don left the studio and I sheepishly asked the guys if they’d wear the costumes the next day, and perform “Superwomble” on the show. Of course the whole thing would have to be a total secret – it wouldn’t have been cool for a serious band like Steeleye to be caught being the Wombles. They thought it was a fantastic idea, and so we arranged for them to meet the following evening, - the night of the show - at the Kensington Hilton Hotel, get into the costumes and be taken by blacked-out limo to the TV Centre in Wood Lane, five minutes away. We managed to get them in, do the show and then get them out again without anyone realising it had been them inside the Womble costumes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

While it may be a well known fact that The Police recorded a song titled De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, I was somewhat devastated to learn that the song they performed titled Drementutia was, in fact, actually called Driven To Tears. I'm still not convinced.

This might not actually qualify as trivia, but it was a substantial moment for me.

• Haha 3

I had to have a listen - clear as a bell to me, like.

Petula Clark does not sing 'On a Lulu horse I am' in Sailor … it's 'Honolulu or Siam'. Took me about 50 years to realise that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It wasn't until very recently that I found out it was Sting singing "I want my MTV" in Dire Straits' Money For Nothing.

When I was told that piece of (I'm assuming well known) trivia that part of the song instantly played in my head and it was a complete WELL DUH OF COURSE IT IS moment for me.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, -Sussudio- said:

It wasn't until very recently that I found out it was Sting singing "I want my MTV" in Dire Straits' Money For Nothing.

When I was told that piece of (I'm assuming well known) trivia that part of the song instantly played in my head and it was a complete WELL DUH OF COURSE IT IS moment for me.

Okay, talking of this, being a Sting fan I was well aware of this as I had the Brothers In Arms album from a new release. I'm in high school, talking to a group of guys who are discussing the song and video for Money For Nothing when I mention Sting sings on the track. No he doesn't! They chorus... Eventually, the leader of the group tells me he will go home and check the record. I say please do. Of course, I have the UK print, which has a printed inner with the details. They have the SA pressing with a white sleeve. So he comes back the next day and tells everyone how I made it up.

To be fair though, the radio single and video versions of the song were about 4 minutes long and had very little Sting in comparison to the album version which is over 8 minutes long (how many people knew THAT) and on which he is very clearly audible...

How many arguments have the internet, Google and IMDB avoided in the internet age I wonder?

• Like 2

I've seen the film and got the album (in 1977) but it was only in the last few years I realised Clarence was in New York, New York with Liza and Bobby De Niro.  I think it's a 'blink and you'll miss him' moment though :)

A piece of trivia for @Born To Walk - I work just around the corner from that hotel you mention above ^^^. Of course, I wasn't there in the 70s though :lol:

• Like 1