Greasy Lake Community

I had no idea... (random trivial facts about music)

On 11/22/2018 at 7:14 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

I had no idea until tonight that Bruce Hornsby was briefly a member of Ambrosia in 1982.

I listen to Hornsby fairly frequently and I have all of Ambrosia's albums, but play them less often, still I never knew there was a connection.

What about you? What are some trivial facts about music or artists that you were surprised to learn?

If you enjoy Hornsby then you should seek out the shows he played with the G-Dead. Here's the basic list - http://www.agitators.com/gd/bruce.html

As with the Dead in general, the live shows are available mostly on Youtube, but completely (or nearly so) on archive.org

Here's 9-20-90 MSG for a starter - 

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched a documentary on the start of heavy metal the other night.  Didn't know Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath lost the tips of his fingers in an industrial accident. Which made him loosen the strin

Alice Cooper is a boy apparently.

Bob Dylan isn't Bob Dylan's real name

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, JimCT said:

If you enjoy Hornsby then you should seek out the shows he played with the G-Dead. Here's the basic list - http://www.agitators.com/gd/bruce.html

As with the Dead in general, the live shows are available mostly on Youtube, but completely (or nearly so) on archive.org

Hornsby is a terrific musician.  I saw him front row after he came out with his second album with the Range. Great musicians. Pretty vanilla kind of guy and stage presence but his skills are high.

Just now, THUE said:

Hornsby is a terrific musician.  I saw him front after he came out with his second album with the Range. Great musicians. Pretty vanilla kind of guy and stage presence but his skills are high.

He fit with Jerry really, really well.

29 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Here's 9-20-90 MSG for a starter - 

Saw the Dead with him after Brent died. 

1 hour ago, THUE said:

Hornsby is a terrific musician.  I saw him front row after he came out with his second album with the Range. Great musicians. Pretty vanilla kind of guy and stage presence but his skills are high.

I don't doubt his skills, but I remember hating that "Get A Job" tune or whatever it's called when it was overplayed on the radio when I was how old I dunno but quite young.  Thought it was one of the most boring things I'd ever heard.  

For those who don't know this, Bruce Cockburn is one of Canada's best songwriters, the older I get the better he gets to my ears.  

15 minutes ago, riverdude2 said:

The first CD pressed in the USA for release was BITUSA.

And the first non-classical CD to be produced for commercial release was Dire Strait Brothers In Arms, if I'm not mistaken...

2 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

And the first non-classical CD to be produced for commercial release was Dire Strait Brothers In Arms, if I'm not mistaken...

The Visitors by ABBA I think was the first ever commercially produced.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, C4G said:

And grew up in Wakefield.............I take it you were there last night? :)

I was indeed. I knew about the Leeds connection, I don't remember hearing about Wakefield before.

DSCN5939.JPG

• Like 1
4 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

The first CD pressed in the USA for release was BITUSA.

4 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

I always thought it was 52nd Street. Maybe that's just in Japan

27 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I always thought it was 52nd Street. Maybe that's just in Japan

It was Japan but in a way you're right. As I understand it, The Visitors was the first pressed CD (in Japan) but it wasn't  released until the same date as 52nd Street and the latter is often therefore nominated as first release.

• Thanks 1

Elvis Presley was first offered the main male role, in person by Barbra Streisand, in A Star Is Born that went to - if I'm remembering correctly - Kris Kristofferson. 

It is said that Elvis really wanted it but the Colonel, as per, demanded too much money so Streisand went elsewhere and that Elvis always regretted letting the Colonel out-price him out of the role - a role which he felt would bring him back some credibility as an actor. It's also been said that Elvis actually asked the Colonel to get him out of it, but I suspect that was Elvis saving face.

Other notable films Elvis was considering/offered roles for are West Side Story and Thunder Road - yes, the Robert Mitchum film that Bruce Springsteen borrowed the title from.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kooly said:

Peter Gabriel wanted Dolly Parton to sing the female lead in Don't Give Up but she declined, so Kate Bush delivered the masterful performance.

Speaking of Dolly Parton, just found out on a podcast that the Bee Gees wrote Islands in the Stream.

• Like 1