Greasy Lake Community

I had no idea... (random trivial facts about music)

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched a documentary on the start of heavy metal the other night.  Didn't know Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath lost the tips of his fingers in an industrial accident. Which made him loosen the strin

Alice Cooper is a boy apparently.

Bob Dylan isn't Bob Dylan's real name

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

They wrote quite a few hits for other people.

Yeah.  They mentioned a number in the podcast.  In the 80s, they couldn't get their own songs to become hits, but they were still writing them for other people.

For thirty odd years I thought it was Ellen Foley who does the spoken intro with Steinman on Meat's You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth.  It sounds EXACTLY like her.  I would have bet the house on it.

Turns out, it's an uncredited Marcia McClain.

• Like 1
On 11/25/2018 at 9:56 PM, MacBruce said:

AC/DC's album Back in Black is the third biggest selling album in music history.

Strange that........not because it isn't a brilliant album - it is, I bought it the day it came out and I’ve loved it ever since!

After that they made one half decent album (FTATR) and after that? They pretty much made the same album ever since….to be fair, I can’t think of more than about four good songs since 1982.

And there’s the thing…..their live set since 1981 has been Bon Scott era songs, Black In Black songs “FTATR” and maybe a couple off the latest album.

AC/DC have made a 37 year career from one LP and a bunch of great songs from when they really were a great band. If AC/DC had played a live set from Back In Black and subsequent albums from 1981 onwards they’d still be playing the small halls UFO / Michael Schenker / Saxon & their other contemporaries are playing now.

AC/DC are now Angus & a bunch of guys – almost a tribute band. They pretty much (apart from Black In Black and FTATR) died when Bon did.

Strange, finally, because Back In Black isn't even the best AC/DC album..........it just about makes the top 5.

RIP Bon :(

Having said that............BITUSA is one of the top selling LPs and it isn't even in Bruce's top 5!!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, C4G said:

Having said that............BITUSA is one of the top selling LPs and it isn't even in Bruce's top 5!!

Yeah.  It looks like an anomaly in his catalogue these days.  Not an album I ever listen to anymore.

27 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I only learned moments ago that Mark Knopfler wrote Private Dancer.

If my memory is correct, Mark wrote the song when asked by her manager Roger Davies to assist on the album. He couldn't at the time due to other commitments, but wrote a song for her which ended up being the title track. The guitar on the track is played by Jeff Beck, who was deliberately trying to play the way he thought Mark might have done.

• Like 2
On 11/25/2018 at 1:11 AM, -Sussudio- said:

It wasn't until very recently that I found out it was Sting singing "I want my MTV" in Dire Straits' Money For Nothing.

When I was told that piece of (I'm assuming well known) trivia that part of the song instantly played in my head and it was a complete WELL DUH OF COURSE IT IS moment for me.

i had no idea

how could i not have heard that

now i hate that song twice as much :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Learned last night that Freddie Mercury wanted to keep his oversized overbite coz he had a four octave range and wanted to keep it.  They were talking about the new Queen movie last night on the Gram Norton show (caught the repeat) and the main actor, who is awesome, said he kept his fake teeth in the whole time he was shooting the movie, on and off set.  

17 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Elvis Presley's hair was blonde when he passed away.

He dyed his hair black for years.

According to the movie I saw with Kurt Russell years ago, it was because his momma had black hair.

• Like 2