Greasy Lake Community

I had no idea... (random trivial facts about music)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched a documentary on the start of heavy metal the other night.  Didn't know Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath lost the tips of his fingers in an industrial accident. Which made him loosen the strin

Alice Cooper is a boy apparently.

Bob Dylan isn't Bob Dylan's real name

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I read something some time ago about each person or couple on the cover represents one of the songs on the album.

Interesting. There are eight songs and eight people in addition to Billy.

Girl in the blue dress (and maybe the bloke with her) - Say Goodbye To Hollywood

Girl with headphones - All you Wanna Do Is Dance

Guy at the back with books - James?

Black guy or guy in brown jacket? - Angry Young Man

Don't know about the rest.

If I recall, the older lady and young girl represent Miami 2017, I think All You Wanna Do Is Dance is the dancing couple, James is as you said, the guy with the books. I can't remember. I'm sure it's online somewhere.

Oh, I believe Billy represents a song also and some may represent in more than one vignette.

10 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

If I recall, the older lady and young girl represent Miami 2017, I think All You Wanna Do Is Dance is the dancing couple, James is as you said, the guy with the books. I can't remember. I'm sure it's online somewhere.

Oh, I believe Billy represents a song also and some may represent in more than one vignette.

Wikipedia has a third idea about the dancing couple:

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Looking up something in Midge Ure's autobiography for the We Are The World thread reminded me of how he got the name Midge.

His real name is James, bit there were two Jims in the early band which became Slik. For differentiation purposes his reversed his name from Jim to Mij, which stuck and developed into Midge.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2019 at 10:07 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

You should consider joining a Springsteen message board.

That's where I found out... So that paid off. 

• Haha 1
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, Promise61 said:

Abandoned band names.

Johnny and the Self Abusers became Simple Minds.

Mark Skid and the Y Fronts became The Boomtown Rats (who took their name from Woody Guthrie's 'Bound For Glory)

...and Simple Minds got their name from a line in Bowie's The Jean Genie.."so simple minded he can't drive his module"

On 1/20/2019 at 2:28 PM, sonicramone said:

Another Ramones trivia bit....Bruce originally wrote "Hungry Heart" for the Ramones.  Landau heard it, and suggested that Bruce keep it himself.

The Ramones never recorded it.

I've wondered if the same is true for "Living On the Edge of the World". It sounds a lot like "Blitzkrieg Bop" to me. 

On 2/27/2019 at 4:01 AM, J said:

I just found out yesterday that Danny isn't on most of the BTR album. :O

He's not on Greetings, either. 

On 12/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, J said:

I just read that Al Kooper (him who plays the organ on Like A Rolling Stone) played piano, organ AND the French horn on You Can't Always Get What You Want! I never knew that! 

Al Kooper produced Lynyrd Skynyrd’s first three records, which includes Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama 

before that he formed Blood Sweat and Tears, only playing on their first record, the one without David Clayton Thomas