Greasy Lake Community

I had no idea... (random trivial facts about music)

On 3/5/2019 at 7:02 AM, stillilllife said:

Iron Maiden's singer Bruce Dickinson has a cousin named Rob Dickinson.
Rob Dickinson was the singer-guitarist of a band between 1990 - 2000. Their name? Catherine Wheel.

Both bands are named after torture/execution devices.

David Byrne contributed the music to a Twyla Tharp dance project caled The Catherine Wheel

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched a documentary on the start of heavy metal the other night.  Didn't know Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath lost the tips of his fingers in an industrial accident. Which made him loosen the strin

Alice Cooper is a boy apparently.

Bob Dylan isn't Bob Dylan's real name

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Yeah. All the piano and organ is Sancious.

I shouldn't have said David Sancious played all of it. Bruce played piano on something on that record and Harold Wheeler (not named for a torture device) played on Blinded By The Light and Spirit In The Night.

• Like 1

Went to the wonderful Garth Brooks show last Saturday night. And my wife asked me to download some of his music on to her I-Pod. So I did. Come to find out his hit "Shameless" is actually a Billy Joel cover? 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Went to the wonderful Garth Brooks show last Saturday night. And my wife asked me to download some of his music on to her I-Pod. So I did. Come to find out his hit "Shameless" is actually a Billy Joel cover? 

Hence, this:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Flea said:

Peg Bundy sang back-up on Dylan's Street Legal.

And lead on several songs featured in Sons Of Anarchy. She's put out some albums over the years and she writes songs.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 7:29 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

I shouldn't have said David Sancious played all of it. Bruce played piano on something on that record and Harold Wheeler (not named for a torture device) played on Blinded By The Light and Spirit In The Night.

Technically speaking, David Sancious was the first member of the E Street Band I saw live.

He was touring with Sting in 1994.

I had to wait 20 more years to see the other members. :)

• Like 1
On 3/27/2019 at 11:20 AM, MacBruce said:

JImmy Page played [...] the guitar in Tom Jones hit It's not unusual.

"The song's musical arranger was Les Reed. Although the guitar has been cited as having been provided by Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, Reed has stated that the only guitarist was Joe Moretti, who is known for his playing on "Shakin' All Over" and "Brand New Cadillac". Page does list the session in his online discography, however."

So...Maybe?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Watched a documentary on the start of heavy metal the other night. 

Didn't know Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath lost the tips of his fingers in an industrial accident. Which made him loosen the strings of his guitar and played with rubber tips, which in the end gave unique sound of his guitar.

• Like 6
32 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

In 1974 he released No Other - one of my all-time favourite albums... you should check it out!

Bilderesultater for no other gene clark"

• Love Love Love! 1
59 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Rod? Really? Blimey.

Maybe, or maybe not. This is what Wikipedia (yes, I know) has to say about it:

"It is unclear who played the harmonica – urban legend credited Rod Stewart for many years, but he has denied it. Instead, it was almost certainly either Pete Hogman or Jimmy Powell, both of The Five Dimensions. Pete Hogman and Five Dimensions guitarist Kenny White both maintain it was Pete Hogman, while Jimmy Powell asserts that it was he who played this solo. Millie Small in an interview with journalist Tom Graves in the August 2016 issue of Goldmine magazine insists that it was Rod Stewart who played the harmonica solo." 

• Like 1

There's also probably no truth in the idea that Billy Joel played piano on Leader Of The Pack, even though the story seems to have emanated from Billy himself.

As an aside, Bob Holness most certainly did not play the sax solo on Baker Street. I think various sources claim to have originated that urban myth, although I think Stuart Maconie has the strongest claim.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Wichita Lineman is unfinished. Campbell cut it from Webb's demo, but Webb hadn't completed it.

Reminds me of Daniel by Elton John. He decided it was too long so simply lopped of the last verse - the verse which explains what the song is about!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Reminds me of Daniel by Elton John. He decided it was too long so simply lopped of the last verse - the verse which explains what the song is about!

What is the missing verse? Elton did long songs on his early albums, why would he shorten that one?

1 hour ago, Troublette said:

What is the missing verse? Elton did long songs on his early albums, why would he shorten that one?

I don't think the verse has ever emerged publicly. I can't remember where I heard Elton say that he'd lopped off the last verse, but here's Bernie's take on it.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2