Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

I had no idea... (random trivial facts about music)


Recommended Posts

On 1/24/2020 at 4:44 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

Thanks to Queen and ABBA, the words "mamma mia" spent 11 consecutive weeks at the top of the charts in 1975/76. 

 

And it was also the only time that a song at number two had its title in the lyrics of the song it replaced at number one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched a documentary on the start of heavy metal the other night.  Didn't know Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath lost the tips of his fingers in an industrial accident. Which made him loosen the strin

Alice Cooper is a boy apparently.

Bob Dylan isn't Bob Dylan's real name

Posted Images

On 1/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, Eileen said:

I'm not sure I knew there was a fella passing by Neil. I probably thought (with my eyes) that that shape was a haversack.

I think it's an elderly lady?

I've always thought it looked like Neil had a hump.... A bit unfortunate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Promise61 said:

And it was also the only time that a song at number two had its title in the lyrics of the song it replaced at number one.

In 1959. 'What Do You Want' by Adam Faith was followed at No.1 by 'What Do You Want To Make Those Eye At Me For' by Emile Ford

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

In 1959. 'What Do You Want' by Adam Faith was followed at No.1 by 'What Do You Want To Make Those Eye At Me For' by Emile Ford

Close. But, no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

OK then.

The lyrics of which 1975 UK No.1 started with the title of the song it replaced at the top?

"If"  and "Bye Bye Baby".

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Close. But, no.

It was intended as an example of a similar feat rather than suggesting you were wrong, which I would never dare to do.

Unless you're wrong ^_^ Which in this case I don't doubt that you aren't.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Reading now in a music magazine a review of the re-release of the Neneh Cherry (debut) album Raw Like Sushi.

In 1990 she was nominated for a Grammy in the categorie 'Best New Act'. She did not win. THe winner was:

........

Milli Vanilli.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Seekers hits "I'll Never Find Another You," "A World of Our Own," "Walk With Me," and "The Carnival is Over," were all written by Dionysius P.A. O'Brien

aka Tom Springfield, Dusty's older brother

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JimCT said:

The Seekers hits "I'll Never Find Another You," "A World of Our Own," "Walk With Me," and "The Carnival is Over," were all written by Dionysius P.A. O'Brien

aka Tom Springfield, Dusty's older brother

Malvina Reynolds, who wrote Morningtown Ride, also wrote Little Boxes and What Have They Done To The Rain

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last photo of Keith Moon  (Sept. 6, 1978)

keith-moon.jpg

Always the rocker, he was photographed after sharing a dinner with Paul and Linda McCartney in London before the movie premier of "The Buddy Holly Story".  Notice the Wings shirt that he is wearing.

Moonie was dead the next day.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Steve Forbert plays Cyndi Lauper's boyfriend in Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

f.jpg

No ways!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Steve Forbert plays Cyndi Lauper's boyfriend in Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

f.jpg

Just watched the video for the first time in probably 30 years....

Steve Forbert: "Cindy!!!!!"

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I never knew. I was reading his wikipedia page earlier while listening to his Down In Flames boxed set. I had to go watch the video to see for myself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 9:27 AM, sonicramone said:

Last photo of Keith Moon  (Sept. 6, 1978)

keith-moon.jpg

Always the rocker, he was photographed after sharing a dinner with Paul and Linda McCartney in London before the movie premier of "The Buddy Holly Story".  Notice the Wings shirt that he is wearing.

Moonie was dead the next day.

its nice he had a nice dinner with friends 

Link to post
Share on other sites

kenny Rogers was attempting to record islands in the stream for 4 days straight and it just wasn't working

Dolly just happened to be in the same building working on her own project and the rest is history

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

kenny Rogers was attempting to record islands in the stream for 4 days straight and it just wasn't working

Dolly just happened to be in the same building working on her own project and the rest is history

And I bet there are still many folks who do not know that the Bee Gees (or Barry Gibb, more specifically) wrote that song....

  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...