Johan14Cruyff

Bob & Neil play Hyde park

Got my ticket yesterday. Couldn’t persuade any of my friends to go (they’ve all decided to grow up and have babies, meh) so thought I’d treat myself to the diamond ticket for £350. Just before I was about to blow my wad I thought I’d take a punt and ask my older sister if she fancied it? She actually sounded interested and agreed. I had to pay for her ticket though, so downgraded to the gold circle. I’ve dragged her along to see Bob twice before, imagine having to see Bob 3 times, when you’re not really arsed. Siblings are great, oh sister indeed.

• Like 2

Debated over this one. 

I have gone to BST Hyde Park last two years. Not a fan of huge venues and open spaces for music but..

2 summers ago..Tom ..legend and loved every moment and now know I would have so many regrets not being there if I had known what was to come.

Paul last year was very good and I am glad I went (Bonnie Raitt and James Taylor icing on the cake)

Love love Bob and his lyrics but prefer to listen to him on album (hit or miss on how he sounds -_-) Neil again never seen live but appreciate so much.

But do I want to stand in Hyde Park for god knows how many hrs depending on what the weather will do and probably end up watching most on a screen.

So I saw my best gig going friend tonight and mentioned who was playing  (she makes no secret of not really liking Dylan especially) and what was the first thing she said .. have you got us tickets? 

Looks like we may be going :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hahaha, that post could have been written by me, Shirley!  Except for the last bit .... only I haven't seen my usual partners in crime yet.  One of whom is very keen on Bob Dylan, but he has seen him before so may not be tempted by Hyde Park.

Seeing Tom was a gift.  I couldn't interest anyone in going, so I went by myself.  I probably enjoyed it more, as I drifted around as the fancy took me with no ties.  Chatted with a variety of nice people including a lovely couple from Dublin who were Bruce fans and had actually hosted one of Jake's living room gigs.  I've forgotten their names now, sorry, but if you're reading this, hi!  :D

• Like 1

In the past week I've seen two very high quality artists (Martyn Joseph & Thea Gilmore) with a combined audience of around 350 and a combined ticket price under £50. 

You can keep your extortionate prices for standing in fields peering at dots in the distance.

• Like 3

Agree, but I'm still glad I seized the opportunity to see Tom Petty.

15 hours ago, Rizla said:

Hahaha, that post could have been written by me, Shirley!  Except for the last bit .... only I haven't seen my usual partners in crime yet.  One of whom is very keen on Bob Dylan, but he has seen him before so may not be tempted by Hyde Park.

Seeing Tom was a gift.  I couldn't interest anyone in going, so I went by myself.  I probably enjoyed it more, as I drifted around as the fancy took me with no ties.  Chatted with a variety of nice people including a lovely couple from Dublin who were Bruce fans and had actually hosted one of Jake's living room gigs.  I've forgotten their names now, sorry, but if you're reading this, hi!  :D

Umming & ahhhing over this one too. Saw Bob in Bournemouth early this year and he was, how can I put it, awful. IMHO, of course. Do I want to chance it with him again? Not sure, but as I've never seen Neil Young before maybe I should. 

Mrs D has no interest in either, so if you decide to go for it let me know. Be good to see you again for a natter if I do likewise. (Managed to persuade her to go see Squeeze in Oxford next year, and Eddi Reader too, so she's not a complete lost cause!)

It is quite tempting despite being Hyde Park.  They take a while to sell these out, so I'm not rushing into it just yet.  But I will def give you a shout if I do.
Squeeze is tempting too, especially as Heaven 17 are supporting and I like them.

It looks like these two are doing a "tour". 16th July @ Nowlan Park in Kilkenny. 

It will need to come somewhere close to NW England for me to attend. 

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

It is quite tempting despite being Hyde Park.  They take a while to sell these out, so I'm not rushing into it just yet.  But I will def give you a shout if I do.
Squeeze is tempting too, especially as Heaven 17 are supporting and I like them.

Bit pricey - £55 put us in row M. Mrs D probably more excited about H17.

New Theatre/ATG seem to have started reserving a substantial chunk of the front stalls for their 'VIP packages' which p's me off somewhat. We took the plunge for the David Byrne concert earlier in the year, as I was aware it was something very special. The package comprised a free drink and a little bowl of Bombay mix in a sectioned off part of the bar downstairs.   

16 hours ago, Walker in the sun said:

Bit pricey - £55 put us in row M. Mrs D probably more excited about H17.

New Theatre/ATG seem to have started reserving a substantial chunk of the front stalls for their 'VIP packages' which p's me off somewhat. We took the plunge for the David Byrne concert earlier in the year, as I was aware it was something very special. The package comprised a free drink and a little bowl of Bombay mix in a sectioned off part of the bar downstairs.   

Yes, I noticed there weren't many seats to choose from when I took a look at the ATG site.  I assume they have allocated blocks to other sellers as well.
Front row circle is excellent at the NT, you have a completely unobstructed view despite what it says*, and a convenient ledge to park your drink.  Great value.  Most of that was unavailable though.

*There's a brass safety rail, but it doesn't affect the sightline for adults.  Might be a problem for small children.

With the hint that Bruce may be touring over here, I shall hold back for a while on other stuff.  Unless something unmissable comes up.

17 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

We are going. Not expecting to be blown away, but you never know!

Yep feel much the same.

22 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

On the Dylan front,  (can’t comment on Neil). I am a big fan, and have honestly had some great recent nights at shows (especially 2013, 15 & 17) , after thinking that he was past it in 2009.  

I think his bands great and really carries him and his voice through ,  but I feel it works much better in a smaller , darker venue, given his current stage craft (or lack of it) .   

Hopefully they both pull it off nicely for everyone going,  but I might hold out for some indoor dates I think.  But you never know. 

23 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

re Neil Young. Promise of the Real as a banking band are incredible live (just ask Bradley Cooper!!) and they have certainly removed a lot of the slack and self-indulgence that he often had with Crazy Horse. They play rock and roll straight down the middle, with no bull shit and are absolutely brilliant at it. For that reason casual fans will really enjoy them. I would love to see them again:

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 4:15 PM, HelloNewman said:

Plus Dylan sits alongside Ryan Adams on my 'never again' list. 

You heard Dylan sing?

You must be quite older than I originally thought.

8 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with this,  must be quite a complex contractual issue between the parties,  plus they have probably sold a lot of tickets and what would they do if he pulled out?   

No word from barclaycard on this just yet, and would they have they just pulled out of that 1 night or the whole run of BST shows , what about all their pre sale tickets too! 

Neil Young’s setlist last night in Germany 

1. Mansion On The Hill
2. Powderfinger
3. Love To Burn
4. Alabama
5. Words
6. Bad Fog Of Loneliness
7. The Needle And The Damage Done
8. Comes A Time
9. Human Highway
10. Lotta Love
11. Walk On
12. Winterlong
13. F*!#in' Up
14. Cortez The Killer
15. Cinnamon Girl
16. Rockin' In The Free World
17. Powderfinger
18. Roll Another Number
19. Piece Of Crap
  ---

Like A Hurricane

Powderfinger twice?! Fuck me. The setlist is perfect. I’m flying back off my holiday two days early to see the Hyde park gig. If that’s the setlist then they can bury me there and then.

• Like 1

I agree, that is a really nice set and definitely would make me want to see them again. Although maybe they could play Powderfinger 3 times and knock out Piece of Crap, as never has a song title been more appropriate! B)

Although I saw the times for Hyde Park and both headliners are getting 1hr 45m each. So I would imagine that list would be slimmed down.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:29 PM, HelloNewman said:

Although I saw the times for Hyde Park and both headliners are getting 1hr 45m each. So I would imagine that list would be slimmed down.

Is Bob headlining? 

3 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Is Bob headlining? 

Yes:

NY and POTR 1800 to 1945

Dylan 2030 to 2215

• Thanks 2

On 7/5/2019 at 1:43 PM, HelloNewman said:

Yes:

NY and POTR 1800 to 1945

Dylan 2030 to 2215

Where did you find that  @HelloNewman and were there timings for any of the other artists playing?