Johan14Cruyff

Bob & Neil play Hyde park

I can’t make this,  but I hope all who go have a really great time tonight!!  

18 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Mmmmm!

Oh,  the fears came true then?  The set list looks ok on paper!  I thought the setting might not be ideal,  I am sure I will hear more!   There’s a somewhat basic review in the bbc site ,   With words like , Dylan does seem to be playing guitar anymore :blink:,  it’s been quite a while really though hasn’t it. 

I was somewhat confused as you have changed your username haven’t you?  You may have done it ages ago but I only just noticed! 

Not as interesting as the Rolling Thunder set I was listening to instead,  judging by what I've read so far. I know he's just 'being Bob', and he's every right to be so, but my money and time is better spent elsewhere these days, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Oh,  the fears came true then?  The set list looks ok on paper!  I thought the setting might not be ideal,  I am sure I will hear more!   There’s a somewhat basic review in the bbc site ,   With words like , Dylan does seem to be playing guitar anymore :blink:,  it’s been quite a while really though hasn’t it. 

I was somewhat confused as you have changed your username haven’t you?  You may have done it ages ago but I only just noticed! 

Changed it a few days ago.

I enjoyed Neil well enough. I would have preferred more acoustic stuff - not keen on guitar solos although I know he is a superb guitarist. He was far more affable than the last time we saw him, he was smiley and joking, which was good. He got the crowd going and it was pretty enjoyable.

Backtracking, I enjoyed Sam Fender, who was in awe of being on the same stage as Neil & Bob. Cat Power I thought was really disappointing, no personality and her set sounded like one long song. Laura Marlin was good, but I don't think the venue suited her.

Bob was well Bob I guess. The band were good, he played piano and a bit of harmonica. Most of the songs I simply didn't recognise - on several occasions I had to ask Mr J what he was singing, him being more of an aficionado of Dylan than me. I enjoyed Girl from the North Country very much and Rolling Stone was pretty good and he at least got the crowd singing along with that. Blowing in the Wind was dreadful, I thought. Why he couldn't have used the proper tune for that and got everyone on side, I simply don't understand. I know they are his songs and he can do what he wants, but...

We were both disappointed that they didn't do anything together - Blowing in the Wind would have been perfect and Neil did a cover of this last time we saw him.

I texted Shirley half way through Bob to say 'God, give me Bruce'! He's the only person worth paying £160 for in my book.

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I got in just as the boy Fender was kicking off. He’s fucking ace. He wears his influences on his sleeve but that’s great when it’s Bruce and he’s certainly been listening to a lot of The War on drugs.

Quite liked Cat Power, kinda made me wish I still smoked weed.

The Mumford and sons bird, not so much.

Neil was great. Pretty sure he couldn’t see what he was doing half the time. The sun was blazing into his eyes. Still left me hungry for more, bit jealous of the German setlists. Hopefully he’ll be back soon.

Mad how people can spend £150 on a ticket and have the same enthusiasm as me doing my shopping in Sainsbury’s?Nobody around me looked interested, I saw one man going batshit to every song and that was about it. I just guessed everyone was there to see Bob?

Thought Bob sounded good, for Bob. Really digged his shaking hips too. 

How long till we get some concrete Bruce touring news?

My thought on BST as a festival are the main stage is to small, made to look huge by having gigantic screens either side.It was also angled so the audience on far left facing the stage can't see it.It was set out much better when Livenation had the Hyde Park gigs.

My brother-in -law gave me his spare ticket so didn't pay to see this event.

This was my 6th time seeing Neil.Neil opened with Mansion On The Hill and i thought great you can hear it, last week at Stevie Wonder he was drowned out by the audience chanting turn the music up and there was mass walk out.

I'd give Neil 4 out of 5 for a 70+ guy in blazing hot sunshine,I've seen Neil play at Hammersmith and it was perfection from beginning to end,  which is why i may be being over critical here, the guitar playing wasn't as slick as it has been in the past and i think he got muddled a couple of times and left some vocals out, i kept thing come on Neil.Nice little acoustic set then the real Neil shined.Thought he could have set Bob up with his cover of All Along The Watchtower though, which he does a great rendition of.

This was my 3rd time seeing Bob, he still looks every bit the part.

1st time i saw him he was still playing the songs as they are on record, 2nd time he was changing them to suit his voice, now he has also changed the music, the intros etc. he has a brilliant backing band that aren't being used to their full potential because they are playing to suit how he now sings.

I'd been checking SetlistFM over the last week to see what he's been playing and i had to check it this morning to see what he did play and i was there.Saying all that he still has stage presence and i still love him, but i'll be playing the records.The people around me were enjoying it.

My brother -in -law working on his bucket list purchased the tickets to see Bob and he said he enjoyed Neil but Bob, monotone.

One thing about yesterday was how much I thought Bob really seemed to be enjoying himself. Maybe it was because he was laughing at us all trying to work out what song he was playing!

I went along not knowing what to expect from him but I didn't realise how much he was going to change the arrangement of the songs I thought I knew, alot of the time I stood thinking I know these lyrics but really!! (although a lifelong Dylan friend did try and warn me).

I enjoyed Girl from the North County (which was probably the only one that resembled how I knew it) and I really want to hear that version of It Aint Me Babe again.

Blowin in the Wind was painful but the sing along with Like A Rolling Stone was fun.

Sam Fender sounded good, looking forward to hearing more from him.

Neil fantastic, that was the day for me. 

Cat Power didnt do much for me and Laura Marling sounded ok and in different place and time probably would have enjoyed.

But I had to agree with Ann's text.. give me Bruce !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

WTF?

I have been seeing Dylan consistently for the past 17 or so years , and I haven’t heard it sound like that .  You have to admire his nerve and constant tinkering I suppose, don’t you! 

7 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

The last time I saw Bob was in 1978 at Blackbush, when he was at the height of his powers. He was unbelievable and I wish I had left it there.

Iconic gig and what a setlist!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/1978/blackbushe-aerodrome-camberley-england-5bd7c3d0.html

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 8:07 AM, Johan14Cruyff said:

kinda made me wish I still smoked weed.

Come back, baby...rock and roll never forgets.

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:30 PM, Eden said:

My thought on BST as a festival are the main stage is to small, made to look huge by having gigantic screens either side.It was also angled so the audience on far left facing the stage can't see it.It was set out much better when Livenation had the Hyde Park gigs.

They changed the angle so that they could increase the permitted volume a bit, or so they said.  It did seem a bit louder that first year, but I don't know how consistent it is.