HelloNewman

Gigs 2019

‘Lifted’ is a smashing record which I stumbled across last year. Missed his tour behind it last year and Sod’s law, I’m on holiday end of this month. Maybe next time! Let us know what you think, @Born To Walk

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 2:08 PM, richevs said:

Jenny Lewis in Bristol last Tuesday was great. Cracking little band in a tiny venue. 

Tonight Lucinda Williams Car Wheels in London. Very excited tho bit miffed had to travel up from Bristol where she later added a date for tomorrow night

Shoulda done both! Of the 3 shows I saw Bristol was the pick, tho’ the absolute highlight, for me, had to be the acoustic Highway 20 at the Barbican. 

On 7/27/2019 at 2:08 PM, richevs said:

Jenny Lewis in Bristol last Tuesday was great. Cracking little band in a tiny venue. 

Tonight Lucinda Williams Car Wheels in London. Very excited tho bit miffed had to travel up from Bristol where she later added a date for tomorrow night

I saw both Jenny and Lucinda at Bristol. 2 really good shows. Particularly enjoyed the performance of Car Wheels On A Gravel Road.

Then I saw Kiefer at Exeter. Not too bad ;-)

2 hours ago, Bossman66 said:

I saw both Jenny and Lucinda at Bristol. 2 really good shows. Particularly enjoyed the performance of Car Wheels On A Gravel Road.

Then I saw Kiefer at Exeter. Not too bad ;-)

Sorry about stating the obvious but was this on the encore break?

Justdiscovered this little venue near me in sunny Wales.....Neuadd Ogwen.....Bethesda

Cate Le Bon aug23

then a great tripler.....

Sept 19 Aldous HArding

Sept 20 Mum and Jane Weaver

Sept 21 Gruff Rhys (Super Furries)

Few gigs to see very nice!!!

• Like 1

I very rarely go to gigs now - like, perhaps once a year now - but just bought a ticket for Lana Del Rey on Friday and I'm super excited.

Update

25 Jan     Skids                                                          Oxford
12 Mar    The Stranglers                                          Reading
6 June     John Otway & Wild Willy Barrett            local venue
14 July    Grace Jones                                             
                 Rag'n'Bone Man
                 UB40 (Ali & Astro)                                    Blackheath Festival 

25 Aug    Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul     Oxford

13 Sep    China Crisis                                               Reading

15 Sep    Pet Shop Boys  (+ Status Quo,
                Bananarama & others best not
                mentioned                                                  Hyde Park

14 Nov    Ezra Furman                                              Kentish Town

On 8/5/2019 at 9:23 PM, Born To Walk said:

Israel Nash is a new name to me. Pocklington Arts Centre punches well above its weight in booking acts into a 200 seat venue 10 miles outside York in the middle of nowhere.

I've been booking to see acts I don't know in an attempt to lower the average age of my list whilst increasing the street cred! Israel Nash is one such booking. Listening to his new album now and it sounds like it could be a great show.

DSCN6884.JPG

We saw Lydia Loveless Friday night in Missoula. Solo acoustic guitar and piano. She played songs from Real, one from Boy Crazy, and four or five new ones. The last time I saw her was in 15 or 16 so all totally new stuff. It sounds like she has been writing some in the piano recently.

She opened for The Mountain Goats. We stayed for about 40 minutes and then left. Terrible mix. Even with earplugs designed for music all you could hear were the bass and drums. I saw a guitar being played but only heard hints of it once it twice, same with the keyboards and sax. We also couldn't hear the words. If you knew the songs in sure it helped but neither my husband or I understood any of them. 

• Sad 1

Just booked tickets to see Joy Formidable in November. Only three UK dates....could have gone local ( Manchester) but going to Cardiff instead.

I also spotted Modern Nature are playing a few dates. I hope to get their CD tomorrow....will book for the concert if the cd is good.

Latest revision:

1st Feb:   Frank Turner - Bournemouth 

8th Feb:   Brian Fallon - London

24th Feb: Brian Fallon - Bath

22nd Mar: Southside Johnny etc. - London

29th Mar: Bennett Wilson Poole - Witney

6th Apr: Todd Rundgren - London

22nd May: Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul - Bristol

24th May: Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul - London

29th May: Saving Grace - Frome

21st June: Eddi Reader - London

23rd June: Stray Cats - Birmingham

27th July: Lucinda Williams - Barbican, London

28th July: Lucinda  Williams - Bristol

2nd August: Lucinda Williams - Birmingham

25th Sept: Frank Turner - Portsmouth

16th October: Curse Of Lono - London

18th October: Curse Of Lono - Oxford

20th Oct: Lloyd Cole - Salisbury

25th Oct: Squeeze - Oxford

27th Oct: Van Morrison - Oxford

9th Nov: The Delines - Oxford

25th Nov: Frank Turner - Southampton

2nd Dec: Billy Bragg - Birmingham

5th Dec: Bennett Wilson Poole - London

Last night John Paul Young singing the Vanda & Young songbook at a club in Sydney that holds about 400.

Fantastic.

I wasn’t even the most famous person there. Murray Cook was at the next table. Some may know him as the red Wiggle.

But the biggest thrill was that Harry Vanda was there. This is bigger than the night I touched Bruce. Some of you may know that when Bruce first came to Australia he did a pilgrimage to prostrate himself before Harry Vanda & George Young to pay fealty.

He was there! Harry Vanda! Harry fucking Vanda! My life has been blessed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

Last night John Paul Young singing the Vanda & Young songbook at a club in Sydney that holds about 400.

Fantastic.

I wasn’t even the most famous person there. Murray Cook was at the next table. Some may know him as the red Wiggle.

But the biggest thrill was that Harry Vanda was there. This is bigger than the night I touched Bruce. Some of you may know that when Bruce first came to Australia he did a pilgrimage to prostrate himself before Harry Vanda & George Young to pay fealty.

He was there! Harry Vanda! Harry fucking Vanda! My life has been blessed.

You know what I'm going to ask, don't you? :lol:

3 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

You know what I'm going to ask, don't you? :lol:

Bruce wrote a song in homage to Vanda & Young.

It is a song you know!

3 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

Bruce wrote a song in homage to Vanda & Young.

It is a song you know!

Well, first of all (this was my question) who are V & Y? :lol: Then I might guess the song!

7 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Well, first of all (this was my question) who are V & Y? :lol: Then I might guess the song!

This is George (R.I.P.) with one of my favourite 80s choons, a collaboration with Mr Vanda.
George's brothers started an band called AC/DC which you might have heard of :lol:

Here's another one wot they wrote, performed by another favourite artist of mine.

• Like 1

Well spiritualized were awesome, it was billed as with  1001 candles, and didn’t disappoint!  

90 mins of acoustic emotional beauty, 

D7519FB9-9106-4C3F-B309-1375AEB4547A.jpeg

• Love Love Love! 1

I went to see China Crisis last night.  Most enjoyable, they were very funny with some good banter.  Nice to hear those old hits again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Harry Vanda and George Young are musicians, performers, songwriters and producers. George died a couple of years ago. Whilst not being the most famous, they are the most influential and the greatest duo in Australian music. The greatest fish in this little pond.

The two most notable bands they were in were The Easybeats and Flash and the Pan. They wrote songs that were hits in different (often unlikely)  places around the world for mostly Australian artists including Stevie Wright, Ted Mulry, Cheetah, John Paul Young, Rose Tattoo, William Shakespeare.

They produced bands like AC/DC (George Young’s brothers Angus & Malcolm are/were in AC/DC), The Angels and Rose Tattoo.

I don’t think they toured after the late 60’s. If they had I think they would be more internally known. Mark Knopfler must have also had some regard for them. He gave them two verses in a Dire Straits song. (Sultans of Swing).

So seeing Harry Vanda at the JPY singing the Vanda and Young songbook show is in this little pond like seeing Paul McCartney at a Gary Puckett and the Union Gaps sings the Lennon & McCartney songbook show, if Lennon & McCartney had written all the songs for Gary Puckett & the Union Gap, plus A Flock of Seagulls, plus The Cure, and had produced the Clash.

We were in the room with greatness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rizla said:

This is George (R.I.P.) with one of my favourite 80s choons, a collaboration with Mr Vanda.
George's brothers started an band called AC/DC which you might have heard of :lol:

They met as teenagers at the Villawood Migrant Hostel in Sydney.

They never fully lost their accents. Harry was Dutch and you can hear George’s Scottish accent on this one.

If I was to choose a Flash and the Pan song, it would be Hey St Peter or Down Among the Dead Men.

@janeymarywendy Bruce wrote Out in the Street in homage to Vanda & Young / Friday on my Mind.

When he first hit these shores, rumour has it that he sought out Vanda & Young because he had difficulty playing Friday.

I was here this night. It was good because he played the Darkness album through. He always plays Out in the Street when he comes to Sydney.

I wish it was This Hard Land.

Bruce is my favourite. But being in the crowd with Harry Vanda whilst they are playing his songs is akin to being kissed on the arse by a unicorn.

Stick a fork into me, I am done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2019 at 11:01 PM, Kent Guitar said:

Mark Knopfler must have also had some regard for them. He gave them two verses in a Dire Straits song. (Sultans of Swing).

I didn't know that!  I assumed they were just random names used in the song. Thanks.

We went to see Modern Nature at the Yes club in Manchester a couple of nights ago. They were very  good. There were about 50 people there. Nice sound and we had played the cd enough to recognise most of the songs.

One of the supports: Eternal Broadcast were also pretty good. Industrial Sheffield sound I guess.