Sign in to follow this  
AMIW

The Official December 16th 2018 NetflixBroadwaySetListVision thread

Around this time 24 hours ago I was awake waiting for the end of Bruce on Broadway... can’t say much has happened since :P 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

If there's one thing I can say I share with Springsteen, it's "a lasting love affair with the desert."

Me too! :)

• Like 4

Perfect show to watch on a rainy afternoon.  Very intimate and emotional show, had to fight back tears many times.  I was glad at least to be able to get to see it on Netflix.  He's a great storyteller, I thought the songs blended beautifully and seamlessly with the spoken word.  Made me very aware of the passage of time and how a life indeed goes by in the blink of an eye.  Liked how the beat of the song turned into a heartbeat at the end. 

• Like 9

As someone who has regularly posted that I don't like Joad or Bruce's acoustic solo tours and criticized SOB because of price and location, I was blown away by how good it was. I bawled when he said he would see Clarence again.

If he had toured the country with this show, I would have regretted not going if it had come near me. If you could afford (or not) the costs of seeing this, then good for you. I was happy it was only my $9 monthly charge. And I did buy the download of the CD because I am a completist.

That said, this would be a fitting end to a career, if he wanted 

• Like 7

Wow!! The show put to rest whatever niggling doubts I had about how effective it would be on TV. Bruce is such a master when it comes to words and add to  that his peerless charisma..... It's impossible to not have your eyes go moist at times.

• Like 2

Well fuck me.  Just caught Long Time Comin' that was new for me and did not that expect that tearjerker no matter how much I've read about this show.  

Blows me away Bruce can get up there and cry like that and we continue to see a new side of him as he ages.  

I need roy's flyswatter.  

• Like 2

well despite my dry eyes i must gave really loved it because ive thought of it all day and slipped in into casual conversation as much as i can

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kay said:

The lesser end of obsession coz you think Bruce looks his age?  He does, nothin' wrong with it, hardly our faults when father time takes over.  

I recall Howard Stern interviewing Mellencamp a while back and telling him that Bob Dylan "looks old" whereby Johnny claimed "well he is old!"  

Seriously, perfect retort coz what else is there to say really. 

The lesser end of obsession because I have a degree of objectivity about the music, that maybe some don't. Just maybe. Bruce being old isn't the point. There's a sadness about time passing throughout the whole show; in fact I'd say it's one of the major themes; Bruce's physical appearance is just an extension of that. One thing I did like about the show is during the middle of Tenth Avenue it sounds like he is playing the riff to Frankie; a song that, along with Thunder Road, perfectly (for me, anyway) sums up that summertime feeling, the idea that everything is still out in front of you, Bruce talks about before Thunder Road.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Ok, I know this isn’t Bruce related and I’m sorry but I told you I was off to London to see Paul McCartney early on here and I just needed to share this... tonight the most incredible thing happened

So me and Katy were way up in the gods laughing at how we were gonna get a nosebleed and vertigo.. having fun... and someone from Paul’s management comes up to us, asking to talk to us and he take some us away and says “how would you like tickets to sit in the very front row?” I just couldn’t believe it!!!! I’m still in absolute shock!!! HOW ON EARTH did I ever get this lucky!!! So we were led down to our seats... front and bloody centre! 

Whats funny is I remember watching Bruce documentaries years ago and something I always remembered was how Bruce used to do this for people who had really crappy seats... I never ever thought it’d happen to me! 

and to top it all off, Ringo and Ronnie Wood came out too!! So there I was, just metres away from three music heroes, after crying like a baby over Bruce just this morning. It was the most magical night, and definitely one of the best nights of my entire life! Totally topped off an incredible year... I need to go and cry now 

plus Bruce DITD just came on the radio while we’re driving back home. I was so sad about not getting to see the final show last night, and this has totally made up for it... oh my fucking god!!!

522D7345-6CC7-44FE-AC5E-19B39AEB3529.thumb.jpeg.727debc0e4e63f5bfc7eaba39bb221d5.jpeg5F1FBA41-C59E-42A0-B87E-B0CFF2D44DB4.thumb.jpeg.2f087c74872284086b0d7998e754d693.jpeg1BAABBB1-17DF-4D51-ADFF-7A9AE86935C9.thumb.jpeg.641458a013455ed237f6e9bdfc717b87.jpeg37CA9ACE-6E97-4465-8B4E-8EF3D37CABEA.thumb.jpeg.5ba2d78c34b76b62b9a5ba5874c1149b.jpeg56F12A8D-31FD-4478-9A26-4C8A2C0B6D9E.thumb.jpeg.7a79b191d67b80e8e6641c100d0946af.jpegB499B726-0587-4B00-8056-62E927117618.thumb.jpeg.2e02ae86cba690c6e4c7c68a8c74d18d.jpeg0160CE4E-EB43-4CB0-BDF2-34A139538F0A.thumb.jpeg.d94f24c0634fa0346307f9e05f99f1f0.jpeg08F2F586-E5C0-4434-A501-0F3BF1C47CA3.thumb.jpeg.0be598644c2106b69cf16c09d2598284.jpeg

Again sorry to post this here but I just had to share it!!!!!

Bloody hell, have you got any lotto numbers you want to share with the rest of us....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Well fuck me.  Just caught Long Time Comin' that was new for me and did not that expect that tearjerker no matter how much I've read about this show.  

Blows me away Bruce can get up there and cry like that and we continue to see a new side of him as he ages.  

I need roy's flyswatter.  

I've read with envy your gushing posts on how great the show was live and also your doubts on how it could be captured effectively on video / film. What's the final verdict on this front?

I'll need to watch this at some point to see how it compares to seeing it in person. I never did too long a post about the show at the time, I don't think, but I'd have given it about an 8/10, by Bruce standards -- the blending of spoken word and acoustic was done INCREDIBLY well at some points, but on others it just felt less like a well-constructed one-man show and more like an acoustic set, and I felt like if I remove my individual obsession with his career, there surely have to be more deftly done one-man shows out there; also, for me the same setlist being repeated every night sort of deprives the show of some of the intimacy that's supposed to be central to its appeal -- BUT, it was still a great time: Growin' Up was great, TAFO was emotional, The Rising always is, nice to hear his rendition of BitUSA and I love that he chose it, I loved that My Father's House made the cut (I thought it would!), and LOHAD was nothing short of beautiful. I have fond memories overall, and my initial judgment of it may have been a bit low, likely due to setting my expectations too high, or something. I liked it - I really liked it - but, I liked my typical E Street Band shows more, I think the Christic shows are superior, and I didn't find it to be this big, utterly transformative, chilling-to-the-bone sort of thing.

However, with over a year of reflection, I can see that my initial judgment (which was, again, still positive, lol) was likely clouded by how absurdly, nearly impossibly high my expectations were set, that the fundamental point of intimacy-vs.-repeated-sets is probably something that always would detract from my personal enjoyment of this show but at the time I couldn't process right, and I can see that if I actually look at the night I enjoyed quite a good amount of it. I don't think it's the best thing he's done, but it doesn't have to be. I do remember some of the spoken-word parts also feeling like a really great overall mission statement for his career and those were the points where I thought it could be a reasonably effective close to his career, something I'm sure everyone's kind of thought of it as.

Just some random late-night venting about my personal experience with the show. With more time -- and actually listening to my friggin' recordings of it -- and reflection on the strong points, I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more, as well as the sheer fact of having gotten to actually witness an artist I love so much in such a unique performative context -- something that I can on some level appreciate more in hindsight as much as I want to at the time.

• Like 1

In the spoken intro to one of the songs early on, it reminds so much of Van's reminiscing on Hyndford St.

Reading these posts, I may be the only one, but I didn’t really like this. I stopped about halfway through because I just wasn’t interested. The whole things feels like a narcissistic instagram account. Forced, artificial and pointlessly personal.

I’m glad others like it. To me, it just feels like I lost my favourite artist.

• Like 2

A few people have mentioned how watching this compared with being there. I feel incredibly privileged to have seen the show early on, certainly one of my best Bruce experiences and a night that will live with me to my dying day. However, I do think this filmed version has captured the magic, I had a close up view of his tears, his emotions which (not being in the Rachel seat) I did not see so well when I was there.

I watched it twice yesterday and second time was best, possibly because it was in the evening, with drink in hand,  so it felt right and nobody interrupted me.

I am just so thankful to Bruce for putting this out, both for the people who were unable to get to Broadway and for the lucky people who did. To think it is there, just waiting for me to watch whenever I feel the need is a real joy.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

Reading these posts, I may be the only one, but I didn’t really like this. I stopped about halfway through because I just wasn’t interested. The whole things feels like a narcissistic instagram account. Forced, artificial and pointlessly personal.

I’m glad others like it. To me, it just feels like I lost my favourite artist.

you havnt lost him - he just went on a diffetent journey that touched people differently 

although i enjoyed it, it didnt move me to tears like it seems to have others

i feel.weird about that because i tear up at the start of the darkness documeyry every time

the GOTJ and its ispoken intro.was very good though 

i hope the next project is - how can i say .... a little more inclusive of us all

maybe SOB was just that it was more about him tjan about us ???

.....im.still mulling it over

• Like 2

and if anyone wants to feel their age today we are watching the  movie pretty in pink :lol:

50 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

Like I say, I'm a lesser end of obsession fan...:-)

Oh, me too! I don't know his shoe size or how old his kids are (or Patti for that matter ... Google is our friend, I know) :lol:

Haven't been on here in a while, just came across @rachelharms on an Irish entertainment website and knew I recognised her!

Screenshot_20181217-093335.png

https://www.joe.ie/amp/movies-tv/652007-652007

Also watched the Netflix show yesterday,it was very good.Favourite song was either My Hometown or Tenth.

• Like 3

Well - hat's off to all those involved with the production of bringing this to the screen - I thought they did an amazing job of capturing (as best as anyone could possibly hope to) what it was like to be in the Walter Kerr Theatre.

My memories of the show I attended in August (about a month after these were filmed) were that it was "even more" poignant / moving / heartfelt at times on the night that I was there than this Netflix version - I realise that some of that might be down to all the regular eye to eye contact I had (which often seemed to be in "those" moments, as mentioned before on threads on here) from my 3rd row centre seat - but - setting that aside I do think the night we attended WAS that bit more emotional (maybe in his sub conscious he was aware of the cameras being there!?, as opposed to just him and 900 odd folks in the room) - but they have done a heck of a job on it nonetheless...…….terrific document of the event that was SOB!

We had about 20 people round in the afternoon - drinking, eating, and LOTS of chatting (it was quite noisy - my special 4 hour+ compilation of mixed Xmas music I'd put together went largely unnoticed as folks were talking over it all afternoon - which is great really!)……….but at 8.15pm we all moved in to our family room (my little Hard Rock Café at home) and we started Springsteen on Broadway off in UHD 4K 65" TV with surround sound hi-fi speaker set up - turned up quite loud - all the lights out except the Xmas tree in the room and some Xmas lights that are up high in the rafters/beams, and I have to say it was like being in a mini Walter Kerr because you could hear a pin drop!...…..all that chatter just stopped dead, 20 odd people (not ALL total Bruce nuts, in fact one Bruce hater in the room ha!) and for the next 2.5 hours I heard ripples of laughter and yes there were tears (some of them male tears)……..it was indeed like a mini Walter Kerr experience and THAT is what brought it home to me what an incredible job those involved had done with bringing this to the screen! EVERYBODY (except the Bruce hater ha!) was blown away by it...…….exceeded folks expectations...…….mission accomplished I feel for Thom Zimny and crew!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

you havnt lost him - he just went on a diffetent journey that touched people differently 

although i enjoyed it, it didnt move me to tears like it seems to have others

i feel.weird about that because i tear up at the start of the darkness documeyry every time

the GOTJ and its ispoken intro.was very good though 

i hope the next project is - how can i say .... a little more inclusive of us all

maybe SOB was just that it was more about him tjan about us ???

.....im.still mulling it over

WATCHING IT I WAS VERY EMOTIONAL  I WAS THINKING ABOUT MY BEST BRUCE BUD MY BROTHER WHO WE LOST A FEW YEARS AGO (LEEDS ARENA WOULD HAVE BEEN OUR LAST SHOW TOGETHER ) HE WOULD HAVE LOVED THIS SO THAT TOO MAY HAVE BEEN A FACTOR BUT TO SEE BRUCE  TALKING ABOUT HIS JOURNEY WITH SO MUCH  EMOTION WAS MAGICAL , AT MY AGE IT MAKES YOU THINK BACK OVER YOUR OWN LIFE . I`M  GOING TO SEE IT AGAIN TONIGHT WITH TWO FRIENDS  WHO ARE NOT BRUCE  NUTS  SO AM EAGER TO  HEAR WHAT THEY THINK .

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Rachel Harms is everywhere.

JF   I WAS SURPRISED TO  HEAR THAT YOU HAVEN`T GOT AROUND TO READING THE BOOK YET , I CAN HIGHLY  RECOMMEND YOU LISTEN TO ALL THE SOOTHING VOICES OF THE GOOD PEOPLE OF THE LAKE  TO READ IT TO YOU  LOCATED IN YOUR DROPBOX 

• Love Love Love! 2