Bosstralian

The Archive Series - Random Thoughts And Reviews Thread

Was listening to WOAD from the Buffollo ‘09 show the other day and it never ceases to give me goosebumps when Bruce shouts “let ‘em here you in Canada, let ‘em here you in jersey” with the drums and the audience all firing up

• Like 3

This is the first month I'm not impatient for the Archive Series release.

Western Stars is still satisfying me.

• Like 1

I was contemplating asking on the Rumours thread if Western Stars and the choices for recent releases have soured the majority on the Archive Series. I think the answer would be "no", but I imagine a lot might have the same mentality as yourself, JF.

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel. I've played Western Stars a lot in the last two weeks. It's been in rotation along with the Springsteen studio albums, selected tracks from Archive shows and non-Bruce material like Black Panther The Album and Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Kill 'Em All amongst several others - tomorrow I'm planning on listening to the Hamilton soundtrack, for no other reason than simply because I can. 

Anyway, I've only went and gone off on another tangent, haven't I? I really like Western Stars, but I don't feel the same way as a lot of you guys do about it. At the same time, I love the anticipation of what's to come in the Archive Series, but there's an immense lack of hype - because of the Stars hype - that's got me feeling kinda down about it, which is a shame and it's making this Series, which we all love and for nearly two years has been our saving grace seem irrelevant. 

I'm not soured on the Archive Series. I have enjoyed all the recent releases. I'd even say there's an embarrassment of riches over the last ten releases. Among those we got our first Rising show, two seventies shows, great shows from the USA, Tunnel and HT/LT tours.

I'm just not impatient for it this month.

• Like 1

I've been playing Tampa 2008 the last two days.

I don't know if it's down to the show not grabbing me like others or because it's one that you just can't play all the time, I haven't played this one much (Looking at my iTunes I've listened to the full show three times in total), but once again, listening to it now I'm stuck by how good it is and how good Bruce and The Band sound. 

I believe at the time it was released I compared it to MSG 2009 as a show that you mightn't want now, but at some point you'll be thankful it's there. I prefer MSG out of the two at present, though I wouldn't say it's by much. 

On 7/1/2019 at 7:38 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've been playing Tampa 2008 the last two days.

I don't know if it's down to the show not grabbing me like others or because it's one that you just can't play all the time, I haven't played this one much (Looking at my iTunes I've listened to the full show three times in total), but once again, listening to it now I'm stuck by how good it is and how good Bruce and The Band sound. 

I believe at the time it was released I compared it to MSG 2009 as a show that you mightn't want now, but at some point you'll be thankful it's there. I prefer MSG out of the two at present, though I wouldn't say it's by much. 

I was there, my first ever show in the USA. I had no idea when I booked the trip that the sad circumstances would make it one of the most legendary ESB shows ever played. They did well to get through it. Bruce and the band were visibly moved, all night. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

There's a 'frightening' contrast between "Darkness" from NJ '92 and "Darkness" from Nassau '80

Darkness is my favorite song. '92 has its merits, but 12/29 is the greatest version. EVER!!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

52 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

Darkness is my favorite song. '92 has its merits, but 12/29 is the greatest version. EVER!!

You can attest to this statement after hearing every version of "Darkness" Bruce has ever played?
(shakes head in wonderment)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mocker said:

You can attest to this statement after hearing every version of "Darkness" Bruce has ever played?
(shakes head in wonderment)

When I hear someone saying...this is the best version...or this is the best concert...(ex: Winterland)...I always think the same: this person hasn't hear many boots of Bruce....;-)

I figure when someone says something's the best version, they're speaking from their own experiences and from all the versions that they've heard. In many posts, the word best could probably even be replaced with the word favorite. I don't think you can necessarily assume someone hasn't listened to a lot of shows just because you don't agree with their choice for best. I know @Buddhabone has heard many, many bootlegs and many, many live versions of Darkness on The Edge Of Town.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I figure when someone says something's the best version, they're speaking from their own experiences and from all the versions that they've heard. In many posts, the word best could probably even be replaced with the word favorite. I don't think you can necessarily assume someone hasn't listened to a lot of shows just because you don't agree with their choice for bes. I know @Buddhabone has heard many, many bootlegs and many, many live versions of Darkness on The Edge Of Town.

Ok...then maybe can say....my favourite version...or my favourite concert....and not the best ever....just my opinion...

1 hour ago, Rusboud said:

Ok...then maybe can say....my favourite version...or my favourite concert....and not the best ever....just my opinion...

Does it really matter what someone considers to the best version of a Springsteen song ever? Like, what negative impact does it have on anyone else on the planet?

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of people around here call Bruce Springsteen the best ever. I doubt these people have heard every single singer/songwriter on earth.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I've seen a lot of people around here call Bruce Springsteen the best ever. I doubt these people have heard every single singer/songwriter on earth.

Spot on. If we're limited to what we've heard and seen, it makes all opinions ever made (though I haven't heard them all) redundant. 

The Godfather Part II is the greatest film ever made? Hang on, I need to watch Sharknado VII first to make sure. 

• Like 1

I was gonna say that was your best ever post, but I don't know that I've read every single one you've ever made.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I was gonna say that was your best ever post, but I don't know that I've read every single one you've ever made.

Lucky you if you haven't! 

• Haha 1

A thought occurred to me re a possible Archive video series in future made up of downloads of big screen feed videos dubbed with the multi track audio. 

How many Houston 78 style big screen full show videos do they have? They didn’t have multi track audio of that show though. 

I was just imagining the prospect of a video download of the Nassau 80 shows dubbed with the multi track audio. Obviously they would not be HD and not fit for wider physical release, but a video download series for the fanbase? Just the raw big screen feed as it is, with no editing. 

On 7/14/2019 at 3:08 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

I figure when someone says something's the best version, they're speaking from their own experiences and from all the versions that they've heard. In many posts, the word best could probably even be replaced with the word favorite. I don't think you can necessarily assume someone hasn't listened to a lot of shows just because you don't agree with their choice for best. I know @Buddhabone has heard many, many bootlegs and many, many live versions of Darkness on The Edge Of Town.

when you're excited and thrilled by a version of a song, it can easily be for that moment the best version you've heard of it, or maybe the greatest thing you've ever heard.

then of course this can happen many times. That's how I react when I love something, hearing something. I don't apologize for it, it just means a high level of enthusiasm. We all do have our all-times favorites though, most of us, of a song, which songs or concerts, etc.

• Like 1

Agree with that list, all but Cadillac Ranch should be from 29. But I can see you probably was thinking you were grabbing too much from that show.

I don't know about anyone else but I prefer The Ties That Bind better today "River 16" style than any of them back than. The three guitars. Back than it sounded more tinny. 

On 7/16/2019 at 2:55 PM, Jimmy James said:

Agree with that list, all but Cadillac Ranch should be from 29. But I can see you probably was thinking you were grabbing too much from that show.

I don't know about anyone else but I prefer The Ties That Bind better today "River 16" style than any of them back than. The three guitars. Back than it sounded more tinny. 

So you enjoy a 66 year old Springsteen more than a 31 year old Springsteen playing Ties That Bind?

I’ll take Ties from 78-81 any day over any Ties version thereafter

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:50 PM, BobbyJames said:

Was listening to WOAD from the Buffollo ‘09 show the other day and it never ceases to give me goosebumps when Bruce shouts “let ‘em here you in Canada, let ‘em here you in jersey” with the drums and the audience all firing up

Buffalo is one of my favourite shows.  Great sound and great setlist with the best version of Lost in the Flood ever. I think that is the show I was most excited about being released as it was a show I specifically hoped for but never expected  to be released.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:12 AM, Rumble said:

So you enjoy a 66 year old Springsteen more than a 31 year old Springsteen playing Ties That Bind?

I’ll take Ties from 78-81 any day over any Ties version thereafter

Gotta agree with a Jimmy on this.  Was never happy with pre reunion versions of Ties.  It just sounds much fuller these days.  Think Nils makes a real difference on later takes.