Daisey Jeep

netflex- any recomendations ?

3 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

@Jerseyfornia have you seen any of the Jon Favreau series The Chef Show on Netflix? Love to hear your thoughts on it. Watched a couple of episodes and really enjoying it.

i must check it out 

im looking for something new

• Like 1

here is one I have been watching on and off The Society

sort of a Lord of the Flies meets LOST meets Truman Show

Bunch of High School Kids return to a town where all the other kids. parents, dogs etc have disappeared.  the town looks like theirs but is completely surrounded by trees and cut off from whatever planet/time there are now on.

• Like 1

Dead to Me.  and The Society renewed for Season 2 - good news joining The Kominsky Method

The Rain renewed for season 3

Shame they killed off Santa Clarita Diet

• Like 2

I'm two episodes into In the Dark and I'm hooked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm two episodes into In the Dark and I'm hooked.

Isn't it good?!!!  I posted this in the other thread.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 3:58 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

i must check it out 

im looking for something new

I suggest "old" movies (30's, 40's 50's). They're incomparably better than 99% of current television. I'm continually surprised at the quality of "old" movies I've never heard of. These are mostly shown on TCM  (Turner Classic Movies) in the US. Much better than current crap. Do you have anything in NZ that shows "old" movies?

2 minutes ago, Mocker said:

I suggest "old" movies (30's, 40's 50's). They're incomparably better than 99% of current television. I'm continually surprised at the quality of "old" movies I've never heard of. These are mostly shown on TCM  (Turner Classic Movies) in the US. Much better than current crap. Do you have anything in NZ that shows "old" movies?

i guess not

i look at all the old movies @soulcrusader78 is watching and i havn't heard of most of them

the Maori tv channel screens more classic or art house movies but not really 'old'

Gary finds stuff on u tube and being older he knows what to look for

im at his mercy somewhat 

33 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i guess not

i look at all the old movies @soulcrusader78 is watching and i havn't heard of most of them

the Maori tv channel screens more classic or art house movies but not really 'old'

Gary finds stuff on u tube and being older he knows what to look for

im at his mercy somewhat 

Yes, @Soul Crusader cracks me up, but he does call out some good old flicks.
For the older stuff, I usually search a favorite actor to discover new gems. Kirk Douglas has many great "old" films. Every time I think I've seen them all, I discover another one. He probably leads the parade in my book for overall quality acting and prodigisnous. Robert Mitchum also has many gems (despite @Soul Crusader's recent assessment of Thunder Road!). Marlon Brando has many obscure films where he plays unusual and uncharacteristic characters (personally, my favorite actor).

A lot of these movies are available on DVD for just a few dollars (Amazon). I get a lot like that.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mocker said:

Yes, @Soul Crusader cracks me up, but he does call out some good old flicks.
For the older stuff, I usually search a favorite actor to discover new gems. Kirk Douglas has many great "old" films. Every time I think I've seen them all, I discover another one. He probably leads the parade in my book for overall quality acting and prodigisnous. Robert Mitchum also has many gems (despite @Soul Crusader's recent assessment of Thunder Road!). Marlon Brando has many obscure films where he plays unusual and uncharacteristic characters (personally, my favorite actor).

A lot of these movies are available on DVD for just a few dollars (Amazon). I get a lot like that.

thanks ! 

ill report back to Gary

Final season of Orange Is The New Black is out now.

On 7/27/2019 at 8:46 AM, BrilliantDisguise said:

Isn't it good?!!!  I posted this in the other thread.

Finished it tonight. It's brilliant. Even though I liked the show from the start, it turned out to be so much more than I expected. The mystery is compelling and masterful. The ending is..well...it's about the only possible ending there could be. Season Two should be very interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Finished it tonight. It's brilliant. Even though I liked the show from the start, it turned out to be so much more than I expected. The mystery is compelling and masterful. The ending is..well...it's about the only possible ending there could be. Season Two should be very interesting.

I so agree!  I'm glad there is someone else here besides myself that watched it.  I recommend it to everyone.  So glad there is a Season 2.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, BrilliantDisguise said:

I watched one episode but the voice dubbing was bothering me on this.

BD, you can change the settings so you get subtitles instead. It's much more enjoyable that way. I think there are some series which appear on Netflix with dubbing set as the default. I recall Dark was the same. It put people off until they learned they could make the change. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

BD, you can change the settings so you get subtitles instead. It's much more enjoyable that way. I think there are some series which appear on Netflix with dubbing set as the default. I recall Dark was the same. It put people off until they learned they could make the change. 

You know, I'm not sure.  I'm not crazy about subtitles either.  I'm a visual type of person.  My daughter laughs at me because I'm always noticing things in the background. :D

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

You know, I'm not sure.  I'm not crazy about subtitles either.  I'm a visual type of person.  My daughter laughs at me because I'm always noticing things in the background. :D

I am really into Spanish shows on Netflix, (although I know no Spanish at all) but I have to be in the mood to watch something with subtitles. Plus, I am knitting a baby blanket for a friend's shower and I have to pay attention to the stitches so I have to take me eyes from the screen from time to time. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I recommend it to everyone.

Me, too. 

• Like 1

AAAABWtQYhgWUngm3MAFIeyCWRVjZpw9wlaEIqUegS9WAACqWNZ7pP-V_h06vXAlQYJkVqYn9RknsgjycfpTkopxmVpzFIaQfdRshigWrwEcU-lyLn8I4YFM.jpg

Absolutely brilliant.  It happened in 1989, and although I remember it, it may have got more coverage in the States? Apart from John Leguizamo and Michael K Williams, the actors and actresses are unknown to me.  The young boys are outstanding in their portrayals.

Afterwards, an Oprah show with the 5 'real' exonerated men and the actors who played them.  

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

14 hours ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I am really into Spanish shows on Netflix, (although I know no Spanish at all) but I have to be in the mood to watch something with subtitles. Plus, I am knitting a baby blanket for a friend's shower and I have to pay attention to the stitches so I have to take me eyes from the screen from time to time. 

once you watch something in a language (other than say English) you seem to get bombarded with options in that language

i don't mind subtitles but its a bit hard on the phone

22-july.jpg

Based on the true story of the horrific shootings on the island of Utoya and the bombing in Oslo (sorry if I'm being slightly morbid), and once again with actors and actresses unknown to me - a superb, although frightening and depressing, film.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:16 PM, janeymarywendy said:

AAAABWtQYhgWUngm3MAFIeyCWRVjZpw9wlaEIqUegS9WAACqWNZ7pP-V_h06vXAlQYJkVqYn9RknsgjycfpTkopxmVpzFIaQfdRshigWrwEcU-lyLn8I4YFM.jpg

Absolutely brilliant.  It happened in 1989, and although I remember it, it may have got more coverage in the States? Apart from John Leguizamo and Michael K Williams, the actors and actresses are unknown to me.  The young boys are outstanding in their portrayals.

Afterwards, an Oprah show with the 5 'real' exonerated men and the actors who played them.  

It was fantastic.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 12:21 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

once you watch something in a language (other than say English) you seem to get bombarded with options in that language

i don't mind subtitles but its a bit hard on the phone

Once, years ago, I was watching a Chinese movie with someone I was dating. We were having an Away Day, hanging out in a hotel, smoking a lot of pot, eating shit food and watching movies. Anyway, about fifteen minutes into the movie, I realized I could understand Mandarin. I was amazed.

"You won't believe this," I said, "I understand Chinese."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I know what they're saying."

"Yeah, it's sub-titled in English, stupid."

Sigh. I so thought I was a savant.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Once, years ago, I was watching a Chinese movie with someone I was dating. We were having an Away Day, hanging out in a hotel, smoking a lot of pot, eating shit food and watching movies. Anyway, about fifteen minutes into the movie, I realized I could understand Mandarin. I was amazed.

"You won't believe this," I said, "I understand Chinese."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I know what they're saying."

"Yeah, it's sub-titled in English, stupid."

Sigh. I so thought i was a savant.

kind of the opposite when i look at the blue ray player instructions and i wounder why all the words are so hard and its because im trying to read the German 

incidently  it sounds a pretty cool date

I guess I've been institutionalized. I can't handle life on the outside. After serving 7 years with the women in Lichfield, I've found myself back in lockdown at another women's  prison. Wentworth. I've watched seven episodes and I think it's better than Orange Is The New Black. It seems more realistic. Also, Australian prisons are a bit nicer than ours.

th?id=OIP.lZWeT6nsZoU8aC6w0RAXJQHaEd&pid

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I guess I've been institutionalized. I can't handle life on the outside. After serving 7 years with the women in Lichfield, I've found myself back in lockdown at another women's  prison. Wentworth. I've watched seven episodes and I think it's better than Orange Is The New Black. It seems more realistic. Also, Australian prisons are a bit nicer than ours.

th?id=OIP.lZWeT6nsZoU8aC6w0RAXJQHaEd&pid

that is very popular here - i think its on regular tv ?

Gary's daughter loves it

back in the day there was this Aussie drama/soap called Prisoner @Kent Guitar or @Bosstralian will remember 

from memory watching reruns when i was off sick it was very good but the 'ladies' were still a bit scary

Wentworth is the modern rejig of Prisoner, which I think was set in Wentworth Prison. Prisoner was shown overseas under a different name Cell Block H.

It was on forever but I only watched a couple of episodes.

I did watch Porridge though.

• Like 1