Daisey Jeep

netflex- any recomendations ?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i use netflix as my equivalent of a mug of hot milk at bedtime

That's why I keep The Andy Griffith Show in my watch list. I usually watch an episode just before I'm ready to go to sleep. I've seen every episode so many times that it requires no mental energy from me, so it's relaxing. It's still funny and it's a very familiar and comforting show. Thirty minutes of Barney and Andy then I switch over to the rain sounds and go to bed.

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive been watchinh the Smurfs

i was just a touch too old for them back in the day but i used to watch them anyway

they are so cute and i love Azreeal the cat 

anyway that's my latest glass of warm milk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Monster Of Mangatiti. It's disturbing, though. New Zealand film based on a true story. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

The Monster Of Mangatiti. It's disturbing, though. New Zealand film based on a true story. 

 

isnt it terrible i have hardly any recollection of that? the news is full of such horror and cruelty every night

I asked Gary and he didn't know where Mangatiti is as he's done most of his hunting more towards the east coast of the central and lower North island 

turns out its up the river from here

the Wanganui river gets real spooky the further up you go

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/front-page-top-stories/news/article.cfm?c_id=698&objectid=11506001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The valley in the film is beautiful. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started re-watching The Assassination of Gianni Versace, only this time I am watching it in reverse order, ie chronologically.  The series begins with the shooting of Versace in Ep 1, then follows reverse chronology back to the killer's childhood in Ep 8, with the ninth and final episode returning to the aftermath of Versace's murder.

I am finding it less compulsive watching it this way, so it was genius telling the story backwards.  I will watch again in the original order, as I love the cinematography and soundtrack, and Darren Criss's performance as Andrew Cunanan is superb.  So pleased he won all the awards for this, he was incredible.

If you haven't seen it, I do recommend it - i was hooked from the start by the music and photography.  It is based on true events, but most of it is dramatic licence as nobody knows the exact way things happened between the murderer and his victims.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

The valley in the film is beautiful. 

ok I'll watch it

ill put pappa smurf on pause tonight 

 

there are some odd little settlements up that side of the river

part post card / part dueling banjos

im good weather (the cliffs are unstable in the wet) it would make an awsome bike trip 

we last did it two winters ago on a a wet winters day

it was eventful ! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it common in New Zealand that Post Offices also serve as a sort of bank?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Is it common in New Zealand that Post Offices also serve as a sort of bank?

yes

when everyone was little we all had post office savings bank accounts at school

they also looked after the telephones

there was always a quee that said stamps only

that all got all split up and sold off in the 80s by my least favourite labour government

Gary still has his old post office account but its with the Australian owned ANZ that brought the post  office's banking services

then we had like a cricis - all our banks even the BNZ (also sold off) were all foreign owned so another government set up kiwibank - i kid you not - its really called that. im a first day customer (although its not my main bank) and it operates out of post offices

i have a tiny account number - its only 4 didgets and i get horribly confused because there are always way too many boxes for me :lol:

in the town i used to work in the service from the post shop girls was phenomenal - just as well as it was a retirement town (they had a book under the counter with all the old people's account numbers in who got confussed - i was in there plus my cell phone account) you can pay lots of bills - not just government ones - at the post office

my stupid cell phone provider won't take cash only credit card - no debit cards - so i would pay by eftpos at the post shop

sometimes post services are in a book shop and they will have a little fenced off piece of the counter for a bank teller

that's really handy if those shops are in malls and are open on weekends 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

off topic :lol: but one thing i miss about that vial little village is i didn't need ID

when i left my wallet on the train once the branch of my bank looked after me with cash and a new eftpos card even though my branch was Porirua and id never even been in their branch before

every one knew everyone or of everyone

i was the girl from Bunnings who came on the train - everyone else escaped the place on the train   :lol: 

one day i was sick and had to get off the train for a chuck infront of the train going into town

complete strangers were inquiring of my health from the train staff

(i had puke all down me)

its funny now :lol:

i must have looked really stressed the  day i lost my wallet because the place were i brought lunch sometimes - the lady came running out with a pie for my lunch

fuck - i never thought id miss that hell hole

sigh

sorry for over shearing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

fuck - i never thought id miss that hell hole

I bet they miss you too, Daisey.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first country to have a post office as a bank was of course Blighty... had an account and savings bonds but didn’t Maggie thatcher put an end to all that and sell it to a real bank.. which later went under and got sold to the spanish

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AMIW said:

The first country to have a post office as a bank was of course Blighty... had an account and savings bonds but didn’t Maggie thatcher put an end to all that and sell it to a real bank.. which later went under and got sold to the spanish

i used to bank with the national bank that was owned by Loyds 

they sold it to the Aussies and it merged with ANZ (the same bank that swallowed up the old post bank) and disapaired completly

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched this tonight. Chuck Wepner was a boxer from Bayonne, NJ who was the inspiration for Rocky. Stallone denied it for years, but eventually settled a lawsuit over it and paid an undisclosed sum to Wepner. Chuck fell a few seconds short of going fifteen rounds with Ali and Rocky managed the full fifteen against Creed. Wepner fought Andre the Giant, Rocky fought a fictitious wrestler played by Hulk Hogan. Stallone also offered Wepner a part in Rocky II, but Chuck's drug problems crashed that opportunity.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

next instalment of the ranch due on the 13th 

that could be friday ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my netflex plan has had another prince increase

$16.99 for 2 screens 

:angry:

maybe i should start downloading content to watch latter???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hoping to get some recommendations of good Indian films to watch by @balboa08 .... just when you have time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

hoping to get some recommendations of good Indian films to watch by @balboa08 .... just when you have time :)

As you love cricket, watch Lagaan. This is the only indian movie to date which was shortlisted in the Best Foriegn film category at the Oscars..

Its hilarious , not sure if the humour gets captured through sub titles. It stars Aamir Khan , one of our superstars.

One issue though...its really long even by Indian movie standards

  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

As you love cricket, watch Lagaan. This is the only indian movie to date which was shortlisted in the Best Foriegn film category at the Oscars..

Its hilarious , not sure if the humour gets captured through sub titles. It stars Aamir Khan , one of our superstars.

One issue though...its really long even by Indian movie standards

will do

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Daisey ...Dont really watch lot of Hindi movies on Netflix. Very Limited content of my language Kannada as well. From a cursory glance through the various titles, thought that you might like these

1. 3 Idiots-Quite light hearted and highly acclaimed

2. Pink

3.Dangal

4. Bahubali- Most expensive Indian movie ever made- but more suited for large screen

5.Madras Cafe- Loosely based on the assination of ex PM

6. Munna Bhai,MBBS

7. Special 26

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

@Daisey ...Dont really watch lot of Hindi movies on Netflix. Very Limited content of my language Kannada as well. From a cursory glance through the various titles, thought that you might like these

1. 3 Idiots-Quite light hearted and highly acclaimed

2. Pink

3.Dangal

4. Bahubali- Most expensive Indian movie ever made- but more suited for large screen

5.Madras Cafe- Loosely based on the assination of ex PM

6. Munna Bhai,MBBS

7. Special 26

thank you i will

the best thing about Netflex (after the free trial and Springsteen on Broadway) is finding all the foreign content

once you actually find it

its like suddenly there is a whole world out there outside of mainstream Hollywood 

when i worked in Wellington it was eaiser to see foreign movies at the actual pictures

ive even watched a couple of Nigerian movies on Netflix 

anyway most appreated @balboa08

ill report back (but after i binge the ranch's new season tomorrow )

im getting better at wearing glasses in bed to read the subtitles with all these foreign language films

i hope one day to see a movie in Kannada

you are just like our European friends in that i have the greatest respect for you that you can conferese here on grrasylake in a language other than your mother tounge when i don't even make sence in English some of the time

at my school it was French, German or history & geography 

maybe because in your country as in Europe there are more than one languages in use, 

is the quality of English teachers good in your schools ?

(mine wern't that great)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

thank you i will

the best thing about Netflex (after the free trial and Springsteen on Broadway) is finding all the foreign content

once you actually find it

its like suddenly there is a whole world out there outside of mainstream Hollywood 

when i worked in Wellington it was eaiser to see foreign movies at the actual pictures

ive even watched a couple of Nigerian movies on Netflix 

anyway most appreated @balboa08

ill report back (but after i binge the ranch's new season tomorrow )

im getting better at wearing glasses in bed to read the subtitles with all these foreign language films

i hope one day to see a movie in Kannada

you are just like our European friends in that i have the greatest respect for you that you can conferese here on grrasylake in a language other than your mother tounge when i don't even make sence in English some of the time

at my school it was French, German or history & geography 

maybe because in your country as in Europe there are more than one languages in use, 

is the quality of English teachers good in your schools ?

(mine wern't that great)

 

Kannada movies are unfortunately not that great(in my opinion) so you really wont be missing much;) There are of course many wonderful movies but most  are missable. I guess i dont fit into the demography they make these movies for.

Agree they are so many wonderful movies from all over the world. Speilberg, Eastwood, Scorsese and a whole lot of Hollywood legends are huge fans of the Japanese film maker, Kurusawa

There is no need to appreciate our english as most of us educated in urban India, atleast in cities like Bangalore , Mumbai are comfortable in the language as the medium of instruction in most schools here is English.  

Unfortunately, while my mother tongue is Kannada , i hardly ever write in my language and have'nt read a single book as it would take me forever to read. My colleagues from other parts of Karnataka are all far better at the langauge than i am.  Due to the diversity here especially in cities like mine it is required to know as many languages as possible. My son has to know a minimum of 4, Kannada,  my wife's language-Gujarati, English and Hindi.

I was lucky to have had a great English teacher at school. He was the school principal, an Englishman, extremely strict and a brilliant teacher

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Kannada movies are unfortunately not that great(in my opinion) so you really wont be missing much;) There are of course many wonderful movies but most  are missable. I guess i dont fit into the demography they make these movies for.

Agree they are so many wonderful movies from all over the world. Speilberg, Eastwood, Scorsese and a whole lot of Hollywood legends are huge fans of the Japanese film maker, Kurusawa

There is no need to appreciate our english as most of us educated in urban India, atleast in cities like Bangalore , Mumbai are comfortable in the language as the medium of instruction in most schools here is English.  

Unfortunately, while my mother tongue is Kannada , i hardly ever write in my language and have'nt read a single book as it would take me forever to read. My colleagues from other parts of Karnataka are all far better at the langauge than i am.  Due to the diversity here especially in cities like mine it is required to know as many languages as possible. My son has to know a minimum of 4, Kannada,  my wife's language-Gujarati, English and Hindi.

I was lucky to have had a great English teacher at school. He was the school principal, an Englishman, extremely strict and a brilliant teacher

languages that don't use the familar alphabet are so beautiful to look at 

but 4 languages ! 

that's impressive, kids brains are just big amazing sponges absorbing so much at that age but 4 languages is impressive 

if only we could do that as adults

4 languages :o

1b5044b7a3857cc568f147b2b2bea847.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.