Greasy Lake Community

Hard Rock Calling 2009

39 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Oh, and in response to all comments made and to be made in the future negating the quality of "Outlaw Pete"

The sound quality of Outlaw Pete is the same as the quality on the rest of the songs.... Sadly. 

• Like 1

It’s one of my favorite live shows on dvd. I also play audio rip very often. It’s great show from the Working on a dream tour and i am very happy with Jungleland and Racing in one set

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marnix said:

It’s one of my favorite live shows on dvd. I also play audio rip very often. It’s great show from the Working on a dream tour and i am very happy with Jungleland and Racing in one set

Would love to have an audio of this. It should be a Nugs release, since it exists in top quality already.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:01 AM, seadogscarb said:

You forget they had played Glastonbury the night before ( starting with Coma Girl, another Strummer song)

I always wondered how many folk in the audience recognised that. :huh: I'm a big Joe Strummer fan, but I'm guessing his solo career isn't that renowned amongst the Glastonbury crowd.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

This gets a regular workout from me. I do not understand the subsequent disdain from Bruce Inc for further live DVD's. Anything from the Wrecking Ball tour would likely have melted my blue ray.

Proper multicam bluray with multitrack clearmountain audio..

Maybe Leeds or Monchengladbach.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:18 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

REVIEWhttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/01/13/retro-e-street-review-london-calling-live-in-hyde-park-28th-june-2009/

I could've posted this in one of the archive guide threads, but seeing as it's not an archive it wouldn't make complete sense... So, let's just say I've spent the week listening to different versions of "Seeds" and that task led me to London Calling: Live in Hyde Park, one of my all-time favourite shows. Yeah, let's go with that. 

Instead of me just posting a link somewhere (like above) and that being it, a discussion might as well be made.

Were any of you lot there? (*hums track 4 of Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ*) Do any of you have any particular opinions about the show/DVD release? Did any of you walk into HMV in August 2012 thinking that, because Bruce Inc. released this show, they definitely released the 2012 show as well and asked a member of staff if they had it, really confusing them in the process - Just me then? 

Waitin’ on a Sunny Day”. It’s a good version of the song and while the young ‘Sunny Day kid’ isn’t the best, he doesn’t ruin it. In fact, his participation provides another funny moment as his timid approach to singing the chorus leads to Bruce and members of the audience telling him to “sing up”, only for him shouting the next line to be met with “That’s a little too much there”. Even if you’re not a fan of the kids singing it the song, it’s worth listening to this one for that.

Just to say....That sole voice of “sing up, sing up” is mine, and mine only. :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Waitin’ on a Sunny Day”. It’s a good version of the song and while the young ‘Sunny Day kid’ isn’t the best, he doesn’t ruin it. In fact, his participation provides another funny moment as his timid approach to singing the chorus leads to Bruce and members of the audience telling him to “sing up”, only for him shouting the next line to be met with “That’s a little too much there”. Even if you’re not a fan of the kids singing it the song, it’s worth listening to this one for that.

Just to say....That sole voice of “sing up, sing up” is mine, and mine only. :D

I'll take my payment via cheque please :lol:

my dvd player broke when this was bearly a week old

the open close thing completly died (LINYC had worn it out ) trapping hyde park inside

do you know how many tiny little screws hold a dvd player together ! ?

you finally get the sucker open and there are many more screws holding this box thing where the disk goes

i was so excitted when this was released as i had discovered this version of London calling on u tube

i love this version of Racing

its a definning momemt in my fandom when i really began to understand the majesty of the ESB

every tour deserves a dvd like this 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I actually went to a local theater to see it at the time! Remember when Bruce sent a few films to the small screen? 

It was awesome! Felt like you were there. I don’t know why this hasn’t been released from the download series but it should. 

Brad

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, At The Border Guy said:

I always wondered how many folk in the audience recognised that. :huh: I'm a big Joe Strummer fan, but I'm guessing his solo career isn't that renowned amongst the Glastonbury crowd.

Joe Strummer was a Glastonbury regular and there are many a tale to be enjoyed about many of his different moments in some of the lesser highlighted parts of the place.

Bruce's acoustic version of Coma girl was a great tribute and totally understood by Glasto veterans. It never appeared in the BBC coverage and tbh is not the greatest cover version that Bruce has played.

To go from there on Friday to Hyde Park on Saturday still amazes me!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Oh, and in response to all comments made and to be made in the future negating the quality of "Outlaw Pete"

giphy.gif&ehk=SkIzL453KB4amLkvSuMYOQ

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
22 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

His voice in Hyde Park is way to harsh for my taste. The smooth voice in Gothenburg 3 years later was a real nice surprice to me, like he had risen back from semi death.

Not to say this isn't the case for every tour, but his vocals fluctuated like mad on the 2009 tour. Been listening to the Buffalo and Philly archives lately for reviews (Buffalo out now to read if any of you missed it ;)) and the contrast in his singing in those shows (and sometimes even in the shows themselves!) is mental.

I agree he sounded better in 2012, I'm guessing the near two year break did his voice good.

Ah, this was a fun day. Perfect weather - not too hot, not cold. First time seeing Gaslight live... people near me were BRUUUUUCCCEEEEing from the start of their set in anticipation of the guest appearance. Had some problems with the video camera which is why only the final part of the show was put out. Didn’t really matter once the official release materialised! Solid show, ranked right in the middle of those I saw in 2009. Mistakes and miscues aren’t always the clearest and most obvious at the time but Stevie royally messing up the London Calling lyrics was clear as day :D.

A *much* better experience than 2012, although the latter was a far superior show. 

• Like 4

Played the whole Blu-ray yesterday (pumping the sound out to the garden - stepping in for visuals at appropriate moments) - 11 years on (blimey) in a different world might have had a little reunion/gathering/bbq of our "mini-bus load" that travelled down to that one and played the show for us all to re-live but that wasn't to be! 

Regarding comments on his voice - to be fair he had come off stage at Glastonbury at about 1am, had to get to London, and then was back on stage in Hyde Park at about 7pm...……...I don't think it sounded "too" bad under the circumstances!?

My bigger disappointment that w/end was that for a guy and a band that can mix things up / turn on a sixpence he didn't do a "different" set/show at Glastonbury, ie. one for the masses / TV audience / unbelievers rather than just what was another WOAD tour show, complete with Outlaw Pete etc...…...it was once again another commercial decision taken it seems to promote the new record, just like the Unplugged that became Plugged and the Superbowl set etc...…...Glasto should have been a stand alone set/show IMHO - a career spanning but hits laden set!   

• Like 1