BobbyJames

New Archive: Tampa, 08

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

And yet Altschiller mixed it perfectly in the Leeds 2013 archive with a killer Nils BTN solo. Strange how sometimes he mixes it up front like Leeds and most other times (like the 2016 downloads) it is buried. 

I think the Leeds solo was Bruce.  Agree it was a killer solo and mixed perfectly too. Maybe it’s actually a Bruce edict ;)

4 minutes ago, Karembu said:

I think the Leeds solo was Bruce.  Agree it was a killer solo and mixed perfectly too. Maybe it’s actually a Bruce edict ;)

Leeds solo was Nils - I was there and remembered being blown away by the solo!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

You must have been seeing things then.  I too was there, and it was certainly Bruce's solo. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

10 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

You must have been seeing things then.  I too was there, and it was certainly Bruce's solo. 

Maybe it was Patti burning up the guitar and you guys thought it was Nils or Bruce.....

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

30 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Bruce played the solo. Nils seemed to be having problems with his guitar - Bruce did a pretty good job of it B)

• Like 1

If you want the emotional context of that show here is my review and the comment thread from that show. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Karembu said:

1 hour ago, Growin' Up said:

Just checked Youtube, you guys were right, cannot believe it! I could have sworn I got a video of Nils doing a solo on BTN but it must have been on This Depression - my apologies! (That would make sense because I always thought it was Bruce that took the solo on This Depression, but the archive release made me realise it was Nils)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robwarrior said:

If you want the emotional context of that show here is my review and the comment thread from that show. 

Great review, thanks again for that, I read the whole thread, and barely seen anyone I know. Where did everyone go.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Great review, thanks again for that, I read the whole thread, and barely seen anyone I know. Where did everyone go.

Sadly like Danny, more than a few of those fine Lakers are no longer with us.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Mack boy said:

Bruce played the solo. Nils seemed to be having problems with his guitar - Bruce did a pretty good job of it B)

I’m going to have to watch my blu ray of the concert again, I forgot it was Bruce! Maybe that’s why the guitar solo mix is more prominent. Not sure why Bruce’s guitar should be though. 

21 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

But as I think I pointed out in my original comment, when it comes to these Archive releases, there are also at least two very vocal contingents of hardcore Springsteen fans on boards like this, and the two seem roughly equally sized, equally passionate and absolutely diametrically opposed. So you combine that with my previous graf and I think it'd be pretty easy to see why folks from the official organization would feel like there's no pleasing a lot of us. I have no dog in the fight and even I find myself getting frustrated. 

There have been some surprising reactions.

Albany 77 was previously unbootlegged, from a year with no known soundboard recordings. Instead of excitement it was just met with complaints that the sound quality was not as good as the multitrack recordings of other shows.

New York 09 was one of the most revered shows of the post reunion era, the only full performance of The River with Clarence, yet its release was described by some as 'uninspiring'. 

On the other hand, shows that have circulated in good quality for 40 years are hailed as the Second Coming. 

Nowt so queer as folk!

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Albany 77 was previously unbootlegged, from a year with no known soundboard recordings. Instead of excitement it was just met with complaints that the sound quality was not as good as the multitrack recordings of other shows.

New York 09 was one of the most revered shows of the post reunion era, the only full performance of The River with Clarence, yet its release was described by some as 'uninspiring'. 

On the other hand, shows that have circulated in good quality for 40 years are hailed as the Second Coming. 

Nowt so queer as folk!

100%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Nowt so queer as folk!

I'm relatively objective when it comes to Bruce. I was not overly keen on the 2009 MSG release because I'm not a fan of full album shows, plus we had a whole tour devoted to The River post 2009 which probably impacted on the show's uniqueness. The second set was also pretty dull (on paper at least). As for Albany, yeah, uncirculated or not, I'd like a certain standard when it comes to sound quality. This latest release, however, is fantastic.

I think it's definitely understandable for people to not be thrilled at certain releases. I've been there myself in regards to Freehold '96. I was ambivalent about MSG 2009. Hell, I was a little underwhelmed when I first saw they'd released Leeds for God's sake! 

We all have our preferences and, given the unpredictable nature of the Archive Series, we all want them released asap - in some instances that might be purely for the satisfaction of knowing that these particular shows were even recorded and preserved. 

The most important thing about these releases is that they're there to be listened to when needed. MSG 2009 or Tampa 2008, for example, might not be what you desire now in regards to listening to Springsteen, but who's to say there won't be a point when you're clamouring something from this era and these shows are available for hours upon hours of enjoyment. 

All of these shows have had an influence over the last few hours of how I think of aspects of Springsteen's career. Passaic '78 changed how I view the Darkness Tour, Grand Rapids '05, Belfast '96 and LA '88 had a major impact on changing my interpretations of their respective tours. And perhaps most importantly my somewhat negative opinions of certain songs have been affected thanks to some truly stunning song performances. 

Finally, like Rick has said many times in the past, there's something for everyone with this series and more is on it's way. While not all of us want to believe it, it's a great time to be a Springsteen fan, so try and enjoy it before it's over. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 2

am I the only one who feels the Devils & Dust, Magic and Wrecking Ball tours should be released in their entirety?

• Like 1

Saw this release thread and thought I already had this show as a good quality bootleg (yawn). 
Checking my cd's, find I had the 4/23 Orlando show (with guest Roger McGuinn). 

I'll need to get this new release. Sad, but crucial historical document of our band. The setlist difference between the 2 shows is diverse and informative. Consistent to Bruce history, although with understandably more emotion, the 2 shows are basically one show continued over 2 nights.
4/23 Byrd songs and spirit look to optimistically turn(!) the page of sadness (Dancing in the Dark is penultimate song).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, crdowning said:

am I the only one who feels the Devils & Dust, Magic and Wrecking Ball tours should be released in their entirety?

I certainly wouldn't object to that. And if they do, that'd be awesome. But I'd be very happy with another few shows from each tour and then a compilation of the rarities from each tour—that's something I could really get behind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott Peterson said:

I certainly wouldn't object to that. And if they do, that'd be awesome. But I'd be very happy with another few shows from each tour and then a compilation of the rarities from each tour—that's something I could really get behind. 

I'm buying every release anyway, but I just love when they release shows from these three tours.  Nothing is better than a passionate Bruce album followed by an exceptional tour.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mocker said:

Saw this release thread and thought I already had this show as a good quality bootleg (yawn). 
Checking my cd's, find I had the 4/23 Orlando show (with guest Roger McGuinn). 

I'll need to get this new release. Sad, but crucial historical document of our band. The setlist difference between the 2 shows is diverse and informative. Consistent to Bruce history, although with understandably more emotion, the 2 shows are basically one show continued over 2 nights.
4/23 Byrd songs and spirit look to optimistically turn(!) the page of sadness (Dancing in the Dark is penultimate song).

If that's the case I hope they release 4/23 too.  It's too bad we didn't get a double show release. 

If I only needed one reason to appreciate this release, I think it's worth having just for "I'll Fly Away."

• Like 2

I reread the Danny chapter before listening, I had a lump in my throat before I had pressed play... 

As he described in the book, the band leader has to be like a padrone, consequently dealing with situations like this, being supportive, and leading the way after such sad events. I think he was so aware of this, it was his mission to get them through the first show, knowing every one that will follow, will be easier...

Bruce said in SOB that the souls remain, while the life has to continue, in a search for a different, restored normality. There is nothing more outstanding to this show, that this lesson. Bruce topped Freddie's invention, the show must go on, with the "life must go on"....

I'm not going to listen to this show randomly, or even regularly. This is the one for the few sad occasions in life...

I can't stop thinking about how many shows we will have the privilege to witness in the future, shows that will be "the first show after xy passed away"...

No Surrender is heartbreaking, the transition to Gipsy Biker is outstanding...

I'm glad Patti was there, I think it was for this show only.

• Love Love Love! 1

On 2/2/2019 at 4:09 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

happy new year Francis 

nive to see you 

kia ora Daisey - ngā mihi o te tau hou e hoa! Hope 2019 has been treating you well, Bruce-wise and everything-else-wise.

sticking with the topic of the post - it's hardly an original thought, but the intensity of this show is incredible. The band are channelling every emotion from Danny's passing into the songs - Sandy, Darkness and Racing especially.

Also, I love the performance of Last To Die on this - one of my favourite modern Bruce songs, I wish it was played more often post-Magic tour.

14 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

them released asap - in some instances that might be purely for the satisfaction of knowing that these particular shows were even recorded and preserved

I think this is certainly true for me, if I knew certain special shows were recorded and scheduled for release, it would be a huge relief and would mean I could just enjoy eveything else all the more in the interim.  But then I hate surprises whilst some love the unpredictability of the programme ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crdowning said:

Not at all. I've long dreamt about the thought of the entire Wrecking Ball World Tour being dropped at once. If they were to do the same with D&D and Magic?!?! Greatest moment in Springsteen's release history, no doubt about it.

Unfortunately though, there's a lot of people who - for some unknown reason - only want a few shows from each tour released. I imagine it's because they only want to download a select few, but I can't fathom why anyone would be against the idea of every Springsteen show ever professionally recorded, and every show Nugs a're able to put out, being released to the public. 

• Like 1

I don't like saying this because I am a fiend for this music, but I think one of the things about having a vault is that you don't empty it.

There are things that won't be released for years, some that won't see the light of day until Bruce passes and recordings none of us will ever hear.

• Like 2