Jimmy James

The Official 2019 MLB Thread

This maybe the most excited I've been for a Cardinal season in a long time. 

Goldy Goldy Goldy. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:15 PM, Jimmy James said:

FB_IMG_1549339719576.jpg

In Pittsburgh for years football season started when the Steelers started training camp, followed by hockey season until the Pens were out of the playoffs, then baseball season for a few months before football season started again.  This was due to the Pirates having 20 something consecutive losing seasons.

• Like 1

I put the love emoji up not for the Yankees but for SPRING TRAINING. 

On 2/4/2019 at 10:16 PM, Jimmy James said:

Hello @JudgeBrown, maybe a pin?

On 2/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

Let’s get a pin on this!

Will someone help us out? 

On 2/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, burghfan said:

In Pittsburgh for years football season started when the Steelers started training camp, followed by hockey season until the Pens were out of the playoffs, then baseball season for a few months before football season started again.  This was due to the Pirates having 20 something consecutive losing seasons.

I think the same thing could be said about Milwaukee (Green Bay) substitute out hockey for Buck's basketball.   

I now we have a different thread for this, but since we can't get this pinned. I would like to ping this to the top again. 

So Harper got less than Machado per year wise. Perfect, can you say strike next year. Padres are probably sitting scratching there heads this morning!  

On 3/1/2019 at 11:44 AM, Jimmy James said:

I now we have a different thread for this, but since we can't get this pinned. I would like to ping this to the top again. 

So Harper got less than Machado per year wise. Perfect, can you say strike next year. Padres are probably sitting scratching there heads this morning!  

Why do you believe there would be a strike?

Bryce is surely impressing the Philly folks. It's exciting to have baseball alive again after the last few years of yuck...

On 3/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, BirdManT said:

Why do you believe there would be a strike?

Bryce is surely impressing the Philly folks. It's exciting to have baseball alive again after the last few years of yuck...

On 3/6/2019 at 5:15 PM, Jimmy James said:

Machado gets $300M over 10 years, opt out after 5 and partial no trade clause.

Harper gets $330M over 13 years. Completely guaranteed. No opt out, no trade clause. Those were his wishes.

Who knows where Machado is in 5-10 years. Better or worse. Harper makes his money regardless. Maybe less per year but guaranteed. 

I think Bryce got the better deal - as did the Phillies. Oh, and he looks great in red pinstripes. ;)

Harper may be already past his prime.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bryce-harper-may-already-be-past-his-prime/

But what’s troubling for the Phillies, who are now committed to Harper through his age 38 season in 2031, is that there’s a good chance that Harper has already played his best baseball.

But seven seasons into his career, we’re not exactly sure what type of player Harper is. While he’s shown stretches of brilliance, volatility in performance has been his most consistent trait.

This has led to an unusual career trajectory to date.

He’s one of only 15 position players 25 and younger to own a 10-WAR season, according to Baseball-Reference.com. The rare company includes Ted Williams, Mike Trout, Willie Mays, Lou Gehrig and Cal Ripken Jr. But he’s had just the one elite-level season.3 His other campaigns have had a range of outcomes, from 1.1 to 5.1 WAR. Even within seasons, he’s had dramatic peaks and valleys. Last year, for instance, he hit .214 with an .833 OPS in the first half but was a star in the second half when he hit .300 with a .972 OPS.

7 minutes ago, RummagingBedouin said:

There should be a hate emoji or at least a BOO!:)

I feel the same way, but my Cubs friend isn't around. 

Yea RB, there's something in my gut that says Harper could be past his prime. Hard to believe at 26 though.

It could be an interesting spring in Philly.

1 hour ago, southsideryan said:

Less than 5 days till opening day!

Opening Day, is a City, bi-state holiday here. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Opening Day, is a City, bi-state holiday here. 

Have you ever been to Miller Park?