Jimmy James

The Official 2019 MLB Thread

On 8/10/2019 at 8:16 PM, sonicramone said:

AQUINO

https://www.mlb.com/news/aristides-aquino-sets-mlb-record-with-8th-hr

WASHINGTON -- As Reds right fielder Aristides Aquino keeps lifting baseballs out of ballparks, the sensation and buzz about the rookie’s awe-inducing power continues to crescendo.

With a two-run home run in the eighth inning, Aquino made history again during a 7-6 Reds’ loss to the Nationals on Monday. It was his eighth home run in 12 career games, which set a new Major League record.

“A lot of us say we’ve never seen anything like it and that would explain it. It’s never happened before,” Reds manager David Bell said. “The great thing is with the success, just the way he’s handling it, just his maturity level, he’s handled it with a lot of poise. We believe in him. We believe he’s going to keep going.

So far, the Reds have been able to retrieve all of the balls Aquino has hit into the seats.

“I want to give those balls to special people I have in the Dominican,” Aquino said.

In 11 games since he was called up from Triple-A Louisville on Aug. 1, Aquino is batting .429 (15-for-35) with 16 RBIs. That means his eight homers account for 53.3 percent of all his hits.

Aquino, who had one big league at-bat last season, has also notched at least one RBI in seven consecutive games. The franchise record is 10 by Joe Morgan in 1976.

“I think the timing has been perfect,” Aquino said of his early success. “God has a plan, and I just want to go out there and do the best I can do.”

• Like 1

The Cardinals could win the division with one of the worst put together teams in their history. IMHO. What does that say for the rest of the division. 

Pitching very questionable. Only one starter to depend on. 

Closer- same

Defense- is their really any? Unless the ball is hit right at someone. 

Offense- Homer Run or Strike Out. The other day the Cards won and stuck out 11 times. :o

Speed- none

I know we have some longtime baseball fans around here...so as I sit on a LIRR train on my way to see 'My Mets' play a 'meaningful' September game,  I keep thinking about the state of the game I have loved since I could walk. 

In particular it's the ridiculous amount of HRs hit this year. I should be excited about the rookie HR monster the Mets have in Alonso...but I just read another story of the individual,  team and league wide homerun records falling by the wayside this year and it just doesn't sit well with me.

I know the ball is juiced...or changed it whatever.  That's obvious. So my old school mentality is just annoyed and I find it hard to get excited about it all....and that's kinda sad.

Anyone else feelin this way?

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I've been saying that for the last couple years. The game itself is boring. Besides the Home Runs you've talked about, what about the strike outs? 

My wife said just the other day, you have only been to a handful of ballgames this year, why? Please read my response above. Actually I've been to five games this year, but all to entertain customers. None as just going to the game to watch a the game. That I use to at least 10-15 times a year. And that was just about 3-4 years ago.

A homerun is a highlight for Sports Center.

Manufacturing a run by bunting when the lead-off guy gets on 1st to get them to 2nd, hitting a grounder or fly ball to the right side to advance the runner to 3rd, then getting a hit to score him doesn't make for a good highlight.  Neither does getting the lead-off guy on, taking a couple pitches to allow them to steal 2nd, then bunting to advance them to 3rd, then a sac fly to score them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Haven't been to a game in several years, don't plan on going until the Pirates get new ownership that shows interest in trying to win as opposed to the current owner who seems to be just concerned with how much $$ he can rake in.

Did you know that season Tudor started like 1-7 or so, than won 20 games in a row. Only to be out done by Dwight Gooden, who won the Cy Young that year. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Did you know that season Tudor started like 1-7 or so, than won 20 games in a row. Only to be out done by Dwight Gooden, who won the Cy Young that year. 

Unanimous vote, too. Tudor posted 21-8, 14 CG, 10 SO, 1.93 ERA. Gooden was 24-4, 16 CG, 8 SO, and a 1.53 ERA. And 99 more Ks :) 

1387766250_ScreenShot2019-09-10at21_42_44.thumb.png.bce43b79d4b840c8cc99b4be86bcdf05.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JimCT said:

Unanimous vote, too. Tudor posted 21-8, 14 CG, 10 SO, 1.93 ERA. Gooden was 24-4, 16 CG, 8 SO, and a 1.53 ERA. And 99 more Ks :) 

1387766250_ScreenShot2019-09-10at21_42_44.thumb.png.bce43b79d4b840c8cc99b4be86bcdf05.png

They both pitched enough innings for about 30 games and gave up 13 and 14 home runs.  For an entire season that would be about 70-80 home runs.

3 minutes ago, burghfan said:

They both pitched enough innings for about 30 games and gave up 13 and 14 home runs.  For an entire season that would be about 70-80 home runs.

Gooden = .423 HR per 9 IP; Tudor = .458 HR per 9 IP

vs current leaders below

414067940_ScreenShot2019-09-11at08_49_34.png.47f2b6d4edf67cf6f3372a29e35063b6.png

• Sad 1

On 9/8/2019 at 11:04 AM, BillyB said:

I know we have some longtime baseball fans around here...so as I sit on a LIRR train on my way to see 'My Mets' play a 'meaningful' September game,  I keep thinking about the state of the game I have loved since I could walk. 

In particular it's the ridiculous amount of HRs hit this year. I should be excited about the rookie HR monster the Mets have in Alonso...but I just read another story of the individual,  team and league wide homerun records falling by the wayside this year and it just doesn't sit well with me.

I know the ball is juiced...or changed it whatever.  That's obvious. So my old school mentality is just annoyed and I find it hard to get excited about it all....and that's kinda sad.

Anyone else feelin this way?

100%.   In fact, I was listening to a national broadcast last night, ESPN (Mets v Phillies) I think, and one of the color guys was talking about how boring the HR is now.  Weren't there something like 57 HR's hit on Tuesday?   That's crazy numbers.   And, wouldn't you like to see a couple of hard hit doubles get played off of the wall in the gap?  Now, we are seeing guys reach out to make contact on a ball, and all of a sudden it's sailing over the left field wall.

I'd much rather see a ball played off of the Green Monster than sail over top of it.   And, my park, Great American Small Park in Cincinnati, needs to raise some walls to make it harder to hit.  Some of these HR's are cans of corn in other ballparks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Took a family poll last night after I complained that no one would be able to stop the Yankees this year.  (BTW, we are Reds, Red Sox and Cubs fans in our family....Yankees come in around 33rd place in our group ranking.)

Anyway, the consensus was that this is the Astros year to win, and that the Dodgers will go down for the third year in a row.   I personally think the Yanks will take it, but....what do I know.

Anybody but LA.

JB will be by to approve of this post sometime soon.

5 hours ago, burghfan said:

Anybody but LA.

JB will be by to approve of this post sometime soon.

Can your boys put up a little battle v Brewers?