Jimmy James

The Official 2019 MLB Thread

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

Facts: Only Yogi Berra has more RBI's 1430 than Simmons 1389 relating to Catchers that are already in the Hall

If Simmons was in the Hall he would have more hits than any other catcher, 2,472 compared to Carlton Fisk's 2,356. 

Can someone other than @Robwarrior tell me I'm wrong in thinking Simmons belongs? 

Actually, RBI's is what got Tony Perez in the HoF.  He was a .279 career hitter, but had 1,652 RBI.  

So, you do have a point.   

3 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

Actually, RBI's is what got Tony Perez in the HoF.  He was a .279 career hitter, but had 1,652 RBI.  

So, you do have a point.   

OMG, yes Tony Perez belongs, one of the best clutch hitters ever! 

I've said this maybe a hundred times, but there is only two stats for hitters in baseball that mean anything. RBI's and Runs Scored. Everything else is just window dressing. Now Simmons didn't score a lot of run compared to other catchers in the hall, and I believe that was because the rest of the Cardinals teams back than weren't that very good, besides Lou Brock who scored a lot of runs because of Simmons. 

• Like 1

While researching what the cost will be to go to Hall of Fame weekend in Cooperstown. And on the HOF website this little stat sheets tells a lot of what I'm saying. Sorry I go on and on about this, but truly is a crime. 

TED SIMMONS
Ted Simmons played for 21 seasons, totaling a .285 batting average, 2,472 hits, 483 doubles, 248 home runs and 1,389 RBI for the Cardinals, Brewers and Braves. An eight-time All-Star, he garnered MVP votes seven times in his career and finished among his league’s top 10 players in batting average six times. His 193 hits in 1975 are the most of any catcher who caught at least 150 games in a season, and his 192 hits in 1973 rank second on that same list. Among those who played at least 50 percent of their games at catcher, Simmons ranks second in hits (behind Iván Rodríguez), second in doubles (Rodríguez), second in RBI (Yogi Berra) and fifth in runs (behind Iván Rodríguez, Carlton Fisk, Yogi Berra and Johnny Bench).

• Like 1