Sign in to follow this  
Born To Walk

Interview With Crystal Taliefero

3 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

https://www.pollstar.com/article/qs-with-a-pollstar-live-panelist-crystal-taliefero-talks-about-making-the-band-and-life-on-the-road-137238

What live show changed your life and why?

Bruce Springsteen. First shout out was with John Mellencamp, for obvious reasons.  Then I’d say Bob Seger. That truly, truly changed my life. And of course, Billy Joel. 

But Bruce Springsteen was incredible. That was also a crazy experience. ... I was the last one he hired. I came in nine days before the first show. I’m in my lawyer’s office, cryin’ the blues; he’s got a big fee and I’m trying to get him give me a break because I wasn’t working.  And he says, "You’ve worked with everybody, right?” and I said, "Not Bruce Springsteen. That ain't never gonna happen." 

While I’m still in this office, and I can’t make this up, the phone rings and Billy’s production manager, Boomer (Bobby Thrasher), calls me and says, “What are you doing?  You want to go on a tour?" Well, shoot, are you kidding me? 

"It’s with the Boss," he says. ... It was the 1993 Human Touch/Lucky Town tour. I packed two pairs of drawers, a skirt, culottes and a pair of jeans because I figure I'm gonna audition and be home in two days. ... Bruce says, "you're in."

So we go New Jersey, and the Big Man is standing up there, by the stacks, with his arms crossed. And Billy Joel is standing there, too! Oh my God. All I could think was, please don't boo me. But the Big Man and Billy were there. I did not get booed. 

Bruce took me by the arm and says, "That was pretty clever what you just did there." One of the most crazy, memorable experiences ever. 

thanks so much for posting

something i love about the 92/93 touring band is how happy they look to be playing with Bruce Springsteen 

is there any more to that article - i did read where the link took me

my goodness she is still pretty

all that industry experience - id love to read a book by her 

4b290e00-1a7f-4eb2-aa5d-79b35fe13cb6-160825_crystaltaliefero_600px.jpg

• Like 1

She must be talking about the either the 1992 Meadowlands stand, or the 1993 concert. I'm guessing the first, since she says she was afraid to get booed. Didn't the band have the rehearsals in LA? I think Bruce mentioned that in a RS interview, the riots were quite close to the rehearsal area. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised it took two days for that 'Big Man' reference to be queried. I wondered if she meant Bruce.

• Haha 1

She was peripheral. Very talented. Joel and Mellencamp were more respective of her talents.

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I'm surprised it took two days for that 'Big Man' reference to be queried. I wondered if she meant Bruce.

Ha, didn't even cross my mind, just assumed she meant C.  

Never heard Bruce being referred to that way, rightfully so. 

To me, it's still not clear that the Big Man she's referring to, is Bruce. It seems as if Crystal was very aware of Bruce & co beforehand (this was well after BITUSA, so no excuse there), maybe even a fan, and if so it's almost weird that she didn't know that Clarence was The Big Man. 

But yeah, I can see that she could be meaning Bruce. The timeline and the way she's quoted is a bit confusing though. Couldn't the journalist just asked her to clarify who she was talking about? Lazy sod. :P

Well it would be kinda weird to refer to Bruce that way.  Especially knowing who the name is reserved for and only him.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kay said:

Well it would be kinda weird to refer to Bruce that way.  Especially knowing who the name is reserved for and only him.  

I agree but coincidentally I am currently reading the original Ian Fleming James Bond novels and in "Live And Let Die", the villain (Mr. Big) is many times is referred to as The Big Man in capital letters.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I agree but coincidentally I am currently reading the original Ian Fleming James Bond novels and in "Live And Let Die", the villain (Mr. Big) is many times is referred to as The Big Man in capital letters.

my favourite was thunderball

• Like 1

Reading it again, she seems to jump quickly from the audition (which would have been 1992) to the 1993 Meadowlands show where Clarence guested. So, was Billy also there that night?

10 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Reading it again, she seems to jump quickly from the audition (which would have been 1992) to the 1993 Meadowlands show where Clarence guested. So, was Billy also there that night?

Reading it again, she could be talking about Bruce and Billy coming to one of her own shows to check her out, but that's a bit strange too, seeing that she's already been hired. 

Reading the interview, and the posts above, I can only say two things:

1992 show come March, please :)

A tour with the 92/93 band would be a good alternative, in order to prevent the nostalgia mania, which seems inevitable if he decides to go on another tour without any new material with the E Street.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Reading the interview, and the posts above, I can only say two things:

A tour with the 92/93 band would be a good alternative, in order to prevent the nostalgia mania, which seems inevitable if he decides to go on another tour without any new material with the E Street.

A 1992 band reunion tour! Yeah! Bring it on! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Well Bruce can finally release that 'lost' 1994 album which was made with (some) members of the 1992/1993 band and then tour with them in support of the 1994 album.

(But it seems some songs from the 1994 album,  like Nothing Man, were released on other albums)

• Like 2

But as was said sometimes the past years on this forum, what really could be very interesting is a new album and tour with a small band (guitar-bass-drums and maybe nothing more) with musicians and a producer with which Bruce has never worked before (both musicians and producer) to get Bruce out of his comfort zone.

• Like 4

Yeah, I think Bruce could need a tour with a new / other band. It worked spectaculary in 2006 - IMO - and even if you didn't like the tour / music, you can't deny that it sure injected Bruce with vitality and creativity, possibly the most since the 70's. The 2006 tour proved that Bruce could tour with another band very successfully, as opposed to 1992-1993. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I'm actually not that keen on reunions. ;)

Basically because I believe you can't turn back time, and with music and bands in general, the brilliance is all about that special moment, when few of the elements klick and blend and form outstanding music.

There were some great musicians in the 92/93 band, and I just thought going on the road again with them, could bring some interesting new arrangements, mainly of the HTLT songs, or even broader. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

The 2006 tour proved that Bruce could tour with another band very successfully, as opposed to 1992-1993. 

This is because the fan base matured by 2006.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Well...A second chance. With absolutely no ESB songs in the setlist (except maybe in radically new and different arrangements).