Sign in to follow this  
Born To Walk

Interview With Crystal Taliefero

6 minutes ago, Silvia said:

This is because the fan base matured by 2006.

Nah, don't think so. I think it was more because the 2006 album and tour was such a departure whereas the 1992-1993 relied too much on Bruce's 80's image. Bruce hadn't stepped too far or far enough away from E Street, and the resulting tour was, or became, too much of a poor man's ESB tour. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Well...A second chance. With absolutely no ESB songs in the setlist (except maybe in radically new and different arrangements).

This is exactly what I was thinking about.

Plus a special guest, a younger female singer, to sing the duets he used to sing with Patti in 92/93. 

13 minutes ago, Silvia said:

This is exactly what I was thinking about.

Plus a special guest, a younger female singer, to sing the duets he used to sing with Patti in 92/93. 

Crystal could do that. Or bring on Cindy. 

• Love Love Love! 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Or Michelle Moore.

But the original backing vocalists could be used, as they were not used enough in 1992-1993 (again: second chance).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Absolutely! 

But I was thinking about a relevant female musician, to attract some younger crowds to the shows. Plenty come to mind..

'Hey Bruce, do you know what those idiots on Greasy Lake are now saying?'

Bruce: '?'

'That you should tour again with the band from 1992 and 1993'.

Bruce: '..............' (I am speechless)

'And also that you should release the album you recorded in 1994'.

Bruce: 'But that is impossible as we lost the master tape of that album'.

'But Bruce, could it be the master tape of the 1994 album is in the same old shoebox where you not so long ago found the tapes of the Los Angeles 1981 Vietnam Benefit show which will be the next Archive Series release?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Silvia said:

Absolutely! 

But I was thinking about a relevant female musician, to attract some younger crowds to the shows. Plenty come to mind..

that will make it even harder to get tickets

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lampi said:

But as was said sometimes the past years on this forum, what really could be very interesting is a new album and tour with a small band (guitar-bass-drums and maybe nothing more) with musicians and a producer with which Bruce has never worked before (both musicians and producer) to get Bruce out of his comfort zone.

This. I've been one of the posters advocating this idea. The one format Bruce has not used live in all the time he started recording is a small three or four piece combo.

It's probably the format he should've used in 92 / 93

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

This. I've been one of the posters advocating this idea. The one format Bruce has not used live in all the time he started recording is a small three or four piece combo.

It's probably the format he should've used in 92 / 93

The closest he got to this was the SNL appearance, wasn't it? "Before the band grew into a small village" as someone put it. 

In the 92/93 shows I saw, Crystal made me feel kinda funny........like when we used ta climb the rope in gym.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

The one format Bruce has not used live in all the time he started recording is a small three or four piece combo.

Steel Mill was a four-piece band. But of course you know that and that is why you said 'in all the time he started recording'.

There were also serious plans to go on tour in 2005 as a trio; Bruce and the bass player and drummer who played on Devils & Dust.

• Like 1

The Hungry Heart version from the L.A. 1992 'dress rehearsal' radio broadcast is the perfect example of what could have been; something really new and different, with the backing singers used to full effect.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 11:45 AM, Dr. Zoom said:

To me, it's still not clear that the Big Man she's referring to, is Bruce. It seems as if Crystal was very aware of Bruce & co beforehand (this was well after BITUSA, so no excuse there), maybe even a fan, and if so it's almost weird that she didn't know that Clarence was The Big Man. 

But yeah, I can see that she could be meaning Bruce. The timeline and the way she's quoted is a bit confusing though. Couldn't the journalist just asked her to clarify who she was talking about? Lazy sod. :P

I remember her saying in an interview that she was the only one of the new players who knew Born To Run.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I remember her saying in an interview that she was the only one of the new players who knew Born To Run.

Yes! And, come to think of it, there were actually people in the band who weren't entirely sure who Bruce Springsteen was... Bit of a red flag, if you ask me, especially since these were musicians and that it was post-BITUSA. Pre-1984, I could have at least seen how some could have missed Bruce. 

I mean, in 2002, outside the band's hotel in Stockholm, we were asked by a fellow who we were waiting to see, and we responded with "Bruce Springsteen". The recognition was instant, "Ah, yes! Bruce, is he staying here?", and we said we thought so, at least the band. The fellow was probably in his 80's, not necessarily Bruce's target audience. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Yes! And, come to think of it, there were actually people in the band who weren't entirely sure who Bruce Springsteen was... Bit of a red flag, if you ask me, especially since these were musicians and that it was post-BITUSA. Pre-1984, I could have at least seen how some could have missed Bruce. 

I mean, in 2002, outside the band's hotel in Stockholm, we were asked by a fellow who we were waiting to see, and we responded with "Bruce Springsteen". The recognition was instant, "Ah, yes! Bruce, is he staying here?", and we said we thought so, at least the band. The fellow was probably in his 80's, not necessarily Bruce's target audience. 

yes but Scandinavia fans are the best ! 

(i say this in all seriousness)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

yes but Scandinavia fans are the best ! 

(i say this in all seriousness)

Yup, we're the best Scandinavian fans in Scandinavia, no doubt about it ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lampi said:

The Hungry Heart version from the L.A. 1992 'dress rehearsal' radio broadcast is the perfect example of what could have been; something really new and different, with the backing singers used to full effect.

I love that version of Hungry Heart. Did he ever do it like that on the subsequent tour or was that a one off?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

I love that version of Hungry Heart. Did he ever do it like that on the subsequent tour or was that a one off?

No never played again in that version.

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

As Lampi said, it was a one-off. But, I distinctly remember that Bruce started the song slow on the first night of the tour, and then switched quickly to the "regular version". My memory may be completely off, I haven't listened to the show for a long, long time.