BruceHistory

I’ll Stand By You Always

It's the song Bruce wrote for Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone back in the late 90s/early 2000s. In 2016 there was a big deal made about the "Harry Potter song" Bruce wrote when he was doing media publicity for The Book. He mentioned that he wrote it mainly for his kids and it would've been in the film but Chris Columbus played it at the end and thought "hang about, there's like no Americans in this film and it's gonna be really out of place to have an American singing at the end", so they went against it. 

It was released in the Odds and Sods bootleg album in early 2017 full of all those cool little obscure song performances and that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BruceHistory said:

What is this I just heard on Sirius? What a pretty song.

Brad

I think it’s really pretty as well.  

Thanks P for the explanation.  I knew it was rejected from the movie, but I didn’t know why. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's the song Bruce wrote for Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone back in the late 90s/early 2000s. In 2016 there was a big deal made about the "Harry Potter song" Bruce wrote when he was doing media publicity for The Book. He mentioned that he wrote it mainly for his kids and it would've been in the film but Chris Columbus played it at the end and thought "hang about, there's like no Americans in this film and it's gonna be really out of place to have an American singing at the end", so they went against it. 

It was released in the Odds and Sods bootleg album in early 2017 full of all those cool little obscure song performances and that. 

Yep! I remember that controversy now but I never bothered to search out the song: Big mistake! It’s absolutely gorgeous. Funny that was recorded over 20 years ago as it sounds so recent/fresh. 

Makes sence about the English thing too: Fitting Bruce into that mix would have been like adding "Sherry Darling" on the "Darkness" record lol

Brad

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I thought I read somewhere that J K Rowling herself rejected having any American music in the movie.

Whatever the case, I love the song. I first heard it a few years ago when that 'Odds And Sods' CD someone put together was doing the rounds. Really deserves an official release at some stage

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I thought I read somewhere that J K Rowling herself rejected having any American music in the movie.

Whatever the case, I love the song. I first heard it a few years ago when that 'Odds And Sods' CD someone put together was doing the rounds. Really deserves an official release at some stage

Just some random thoughts/observations:

- I think the story about Rowling is just a rumor.  If anything I don't think they wanted any "anthems" playing throughout the movie, but the end credits were a different story.  Unfortunately I think they over-thought matters and deprived audiences of what would've been a cool bonus for those who chose to stay for the end credits.

- The song has received mixed reviews outside the Springsteen community with some folks indicting it as nothing more than a sketch of a song or an example of how Springsteen's songwriting had regressed since the late seventies/early eighties. 

- I wonder if there is still time to tie the song to the Harry Potter franchise?  Next year will mark the twentieth anniversary of Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone and I wonder if they could incorporate it somehow if there is a commemorative anniversary Blu-Ray release?  Unfortunately I think the moment has passed and if the song is ever given official issue, it will probably be on something such as Tracks 2.  The fact that the song has already reached the masses probably doesn't help it's chances at being anything other than an archival track at this point.

• Like 1

As a song to his child it's lovely.

Outside of that it's best kept hidden until it fìnds a better arrangement. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Frank03 said:

Backstreets Magazine, read about the song and it's history here

Good read!!! 

• Like 1

Didn't John Williams have the contract to write the music, so they could not use the song.

1 minute ago, bigbonesbilly said:

Didn't John Williams have the contract to write the music, so they could not use the song.

I found the article in Backstreets shared by @Frank03 above as helpful info regarding the song and Williams. 

On 2/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, riverdude2 said:

Good to see some love for this song!

It came on my ipod the other morning while walking, lovely song.

• Like 1

Thanks goodness it was never used for a Harry Potter movie. Can you imagine the amount of sunny day kid we would have had to deal with? 

“Don’t let them take me to the Nerverland ranch”... ;)

• Haha 1