Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of times when I'm listening to oldies, I'm surprised by how many huge hits there were about underage girls. I've listened to Ryan Adams since the mid 90s, but I've always been of the opinio

I have no idea. I don’t think that’s a moral judgment of right and wrong. You’re either able to continue enjoying the music or you’re not. And I think both things are fine. Personally, I’ll think less

Your tone is one of condescension, not criticism. I'm sure you're aware of the difference. I'm more than willing to accept constructive criticism & have done so in the past here. I dont take kindl

Posted Images

Oh no.  Starting to hit beloved music artists, not that there aren't a ton of asshole behaviors out there that we will never hear of still.  

I wouldn't have expected this from him.  Though didn't expect it from Charlie Rose either so who the hell knows.  

This could have affected his marriage, one factor anyway.  

I know Springsteen has lauded his talent and is a fan. I know I am. 'Gold' is one of my favorite albums of all time. Disturbing and sad. He's actually lucky not to be in jail. I hope he seeks immediate help to save himself and puts his career on the back burner for now. In reality, I hope this doesn't hurt his record or ticket sales, but I'm afraid the damage there may have already been done.

Didn't read the whole NY Times article but it's in RS today.  He is accused of emotionally abusing his ex-wife, so her saying she simply married the wrong person when he attacked her on twitter was being generous.

His R. Kelley line is pretty sick.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ryan-adams-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-emotional-abuse-by-seven-women-794117/

The Phoebe Bridgers thing has been swirling around for a while... She's been pretty open about some of this in interviews and at gigs. 

The thing with the minor is sickening and horrific. The rest of it is horrible too but less unexpected for me anyway... What a fuckwit. I'm a big fan of his music... This is all rather upsetting. 

Never heard of her before like I said, now I hear her do a duet with Oberst and see that she's been around for a while.

Says in the article above that she's half his age but he promised her help with her budding career so who wouldn't want that from a seemingly respected and talented artist. 

A lot of Adams' songs appear to present himself as the romantic, sensitive poetic type but he's struck me as totally self entitled. arrogant, spoilt knobhead after witnessing one of his on stage tantrums in Manchester back in 2007. 

So I'm not really surprised by these allegations

He got promoted quite a bit by the UK press back in his early post Whiskeytown days. For me he peaked around Cold Roses but most of his stuff is really a below par  blandfest - like most alt.country / Americana or whatever we call it these days

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Will you fans of him still enjoy his music? Or are you completely out?

I don't want to be the guy's BFF. Trust the art, not the artist.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I have no idea. I don’t think that’s a moral judgment of right and wrong. You’re either able to continue enjoying the music or you’re not. And I think both things are fine. Personally, I’ll think less of him but I don’t think I’ll like the music any less.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

It's a completely personal thing, but I'm pretty good at separating the art from the artist. 

I mean I love listening to Bowie's music, he liked the girls younger than legal age (he slept with the Maddox girl Jimmy Page kidnapped and kept hidden in his room for years before she got involved with Page! In fact, by her account, Bowie took her virginity). I like The Stones even though Bill Wyman married a teenager and was by all accounts somewhat of a predatory creep too. I still like Led Zep regardless of Page's sleeziness. Etc. etc.

Plus, I've always thought Ryan was a complete and irritating self-centered prima donna total and utter knobhead anyhow.... he's elevated his level of dickishness in my eyes, but I had already disassociated his music from the man from the word go. 

So yeah, Ryan's music doesn't change for me, but I wholeheartedly and unequivocally condone any of his behaviour described in the article... all of it is evil and wrong and I hope he gets hi comeuppance for that, and I hope he can be a strong enough person to admit he's royally fucked up their lives and can seek help to heal himself and to prevent anything like this in the future. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Demos said:

he's struck me as totally self entitled. arrogant, spoilt knobhead

Yup. You never had to search far and wide to see evidence of this. Obviously the sexual element of these allegations are particularly troublesome, but he seems to have been a fucking arsehole to almost everyone he's encountered during his career.

I've always been a fan without being a devotee. I'm not sure if that'll mean it's easier for me to give up on his music, or if it means the art/artist separation is more straightforward. Either way, he's not getting any more money from me though.

I am interested to see if the press start holding the untouchable classic-era stars to account though. There are some utterly messed up stories out there and none of them can be dismissed with "it was a different time". 

5 hours ago, J said:

It's a completely personal thing, but I'm pretty good at separating the art from the artist. 

I mean I love listening to Bowie's music, he liked the girls younger than legal age (he slept with the Maddox girl Jimmy Page kidnapped and kept hidden in his room for years before she got involved with Page! In fact, by her account, Bowie took her virginity). I like The Stones even though Bill Wyman married a teenager and was by all accounts somewhat of a predatory creep too. I still like Led Zep regardless of Page's sleeziness. Etc. etc.

Plus, I've always thought Ryan was a complete and irritating self-centered prima donna total and utter knobhead anyhow.... he's elevated his level of dickishness in my eyes, but I had already disassociated his music from the man from the word go. 

So yeah, Ryan's music doesn't change for me, but I wholeheartedly and unequivocally condone any of his behaviour described in the article... all of it is evil and wrong and I hope he gets hi comeuppance for that, and I hope he can be a strong enough person to admit he's royally fucked up their lives and can seek help to heal himself and to prevent anything like this in the future. 

I meant condemn not condone... Stupid phone. 

15 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Will he still be making records in prison? I mean exposing yourself to a minor is pretty serious stuff. In my experience women very rarely lie about this kind of thing. And there's too many people telling similar stories. Including his ex wife. 

You gotta roll you eyes with disbelief at people still getting caught out by leaving a digital trail of this kind of stuff. 

Ryan Adams is but the latest....of many who have come before him, including Jerry Lee Lewis, John Lennon, David Bowie, Jimmy Page, the guys from Aerosmith, Motley Crue and others....so sayeth this once-former groupie....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/opinions/ryan-adams-metoo-and-my-rock-collection-stewart/index.html

A lot of times when I'm listening to oldies, I'm surprised by how many huge hits there were about underage girls.

I've listened to Ryan Adams since the mid 90s, but I've always been of the opinion that he shot his wad with Whiskeytown and I'm not that into any of his later albums. I have them all, but usually just listen to various tracks. I can listen to the three Whiskeytown records all the way through.

His music is one thing. His behavior is another and I feel less guilty about pirating all of his music off the internet and I wish him much luck with his future appointment to the Supreme Court of the United States .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, JustDan said:

Ryan Adams is but the latest....of many who have come before him, including Jerry Lee Lewis, John Lennon, David Bowie, Jimmy Page, the guys from Aerosmith, Motley Crue and others....so sayeth this once-former groupie....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/opinions/ryan-adams-metoo-and-my-rock-collection-stewart/index.html

1. Duh. Nothing new in that whatsoever. 

2. Doesn't read like the author of that piece was once a groupie. 

6 hours ago, J said:

1. Duh. Nothing new in that whatsoever. 

2. Doesn't read like the author of that piece was once a groupie. 

Next time, I'll make sure to get your post content approval. Let me see what I can do to get the time you lost looking at the post back to you.