Jerseyfornia

This Is Not A Dark Ride

Thank you for that, I’ve literally put Tunnel on this morning, it took me a long while to get this album, but now It’s in my Top 3. 

It took me hitting 30 and having a few life experiences to fully understand and find some empathy with the songs. But now One Step Up, Walk Like A Man, Tougher Than The Rest and Brilliant Disguise are probably my most played songs of the last year.

Does anyone know if there was any books written about the Tunnel Era and the recording of the album? 

• Like 3

Well done, @Jerseyfornia

I wonder if the sort of torment Bruce wrote about in Tunnel - and a lot of us seem to share - is a male only thing? 

I seriously "get" Two Faces, and Brilliant Disguise - the paradoxes of letting down the masks we hide behind.  But do women feel the same way? 

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts from the Ladies of the Lake.

• Like 2

When your alone and Valentines Day, from deep down in his gut.

• Like 2

I love this album.  Cautious Man (sadly under-rated/overlooked?) will always be one of my favourite Bruce songs.  My heart goes out to Bill Horton.  

In answer to @jukebox, I absolutely do think that some of the songs could be sung from a woman's point of view, with a bit of tweaking of the words.  Spare Parts is very much a woman's song, even though told in the third person (does that make sense?).  

• Like 6

As ever, JF I commend your writing. 

I was married, with a son and training to be a social worker when this album came out. It accompanied me on my journeys to college in Coventry and was the background to many sessions of essay writing. There were many things I was struggling to make sense of and, as usual, his music helped me.  Hopes and dreams not working out, I guess this is a universal theme whether you are a woman or a man.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, jukebox said:

Well done, @Jerseyfornia

I wonder if the sort of torment Bruce wrote about in Tunnel - and a lot of us seem to share - is a male only thing? 

I seriously "get" Two Faces, and Brilliant Disguise - the paradoxes of letting down the masks we hide behind.  But do women feel the same way? 

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts from the Ladies of the Lake.

I'm the main character of Brilliant Disguise, riding  the fucking Tunnel, as we speak. With no idea were the ride is taking me. 

I don't think I need to say more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

42 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I'm the main character of Brilliant Disguise, riding  the fucking Tunnel, as we speak. With no idea were the ride is taking me. 

I think you do, as I have no idea what you said!............:D

• Haha 2

Hope you find that light, Silvia. x

And everybody else, too.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Silvia said:

Yep.  As far as a relationship is concerned, Two Faces?  That was my marriage.  Never left I was being "me".  Not in a deceitful way, but as in a fear of dropping the mask of confidence, of being able to express myself and my feelings, needs, desires...  Love and Fear. Powerful stuff.

• Like 5

Tunnel is one of Bruce's five masterpiece albums as far as I am concerned...

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

This album always gets me like a punch right in the soul. So I would say that women can feel the same way, although I might be a bad representative. I feel the same feelings as you, as the songs on this album. It seems to be a little too much my life right now, hitting closer to home than I might like to admit. Definitely an underrated piece of genius 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

These sort of threads are the reason I can't get away from this forum.

Tremendous stuff. 

Same 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silvia said:

1 hour ago, Storms27 said:

This album always gets me like a punch right in the soul. So I would say that women can feel the same way, although I might be a bad representative. I feel the same feelings as you, as the songs on this album. It seems to be a little too much my life right now, hitting closer to home than I might like to admit. Definitely an underrated piece of genius 

Wishing you both whatever you are hoping for at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, southsideryan said:

Does anybody else think it would've made sense if The Promise or a version with alternate lyrics was on TOL

No. That's the other thing Darkness and TOL share... absolute perfection in both song selection and sequencing. Nothing can be removed, shifted or added to either record without weakening the albums IMO. I mean, there are any number of songs from the Darkness period that I think are better than Streets Of Fire but removing that song and replacing it with, say, Don't Look Back or Because The Night just doesn't work. Same with TOL... The Wish and Two For The Road are two of my favourite outtakes, but they just don't fit on there without mucking things up.

I think Bruce can sound a bit pretentious with his narrative arcs and overriding theme talk when it comes to his album song selections and sequencing, but he absolutely nailed it with these two records. Others milege may vary as always, of course.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

42 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

No. That's the other thing Darkness and TOL share... absolute perfection in both song selection and sequencing. Nothing can be removed, shifted or added to either record without weakening the albums IMO. I mean, there are any number of songs from the Darkness period that I think are better than Streets Of Fire but removing that song and replacing it with, say, Don't Look Back or Because The Night just doesn't work. Same with TOL... The Wish and Two For The Road are two of my favourite outtakes, but they just don't fit on there without mucking things up.

I think Bruce can sound a bit pretentious with his narrative arcs and overriding theme talk when it comes to his album song selections and sequencing, but he absolutely nailed it with these two records. Others milege may vary as always, of course.

Completely agree, there is no way that any song added and/or removed from those albums that would improve them - the songs are perfectly selected and sequenced. 

TOL was the first "proper" album I bought in 1987 after becomong the fan I am until now with live75/85. I was working and living first time away from my parents home. ...being very unsure about me...I dreamed to be the Cautious man, having experienced very little the things the songs are about. But even so, the mood, the silence, the music reasonated deep into me, until now with much more experiences in my life.

Now, more than 30 years we still talk about this record, still there is so much to reflect the songs with our lifes! Ye, I' m so happy to life 26 years together with my wife, I m thankfull about all my parents did for me. But Im convinced, you have to give all of yourself to fullfill and commit. And still there is luck or your destiny coming into your way.

I think back about my parents luck of being together so long, too, until my mam passed with 57, leaving my dad behind for 22 years until last week, when he died, too. They stood up all the times after all the struggles of their life gave to them. 

So we all have our story of life, some wonderfully expressed on this page. So thank you for all your shared insights.

• Like 8
  • Love Love Love! 1