Tom-Joad

Another round of Greasy Lake covers Bruce?

I’ve got a version of Nothing Man lying around and I’m dying to hear the great work other lakers always do. Isn’t it about time we gave this another go?

• Like 7

You don't want to hear my rhapsodizing in the shower but I do hope another round comes to pass. I much enjoyed the last one. 

• Like 1

I'm ready for a new cover contest too,

still a pleasure to hear a new version of songs

bumping this for TJ

• Like 1

I can waffle my way through very shitty covers of:

1. Shut Out the Light
  2. Matamoros Banks
  3. Nebraska
  4. Dancing in the Dark
  5. Sugarland
  6. Prove It All Night

So if anyone wants to hear me butcher those with bad guitar playing, I can probably arrange it.

• Like 2

Funnily enough I've been working on a Bruce covers album on and off over the last year or so. I've had a bash at about 40 songs in the hope that I get a decent 12 or so out of it! It's a really eclectic selection and many have been done simply for my own amusement (Backstreets without piano in the style of the Shadows anyone? Jungleland with no piano or sax?). I've ruined some well loved classics as well as some deep (some very deep) cuts, from Night Fire and Kingdom of Days to Bobby Jean and DITD (coz the world needs yet another cover of that one, right?). I may just stick the whole damn lot on the web and you can see the sheer gall and sacrilege for yourselves :D. My main finding from doing this is that it's impossible to go toe to toe with Bruce and you need to put your own spin on it. Invariably, you won't get close so have fun and don't take it too seriously! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wolfinthepines said:

I've had a bash at about 40 songs in the hope that I get a decent 12 or so out of it!

Are you Bruce?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, wolfinthepines said:

My main finding from doing this is that it's impossible to go toe to toe with Bruce and you need to put your own spin on it. Invariably, you won't get close so have fun and don't take it too seriously! 

Fully agree with this. No one is going to do a Bruce song as well as Bruce. The only option is to change it up, find something else in it, see what you can get out of it that's differemt. I do Nebraska as a sort of Johnny Cash country strummer and that has a little different effect (I do it that way mainly because I don't play guitar well enough to do anything else). The only song I've tried to cover more or less as it sounds is Downbound Train, and while I can get the stumming pattern right and the basically make the song a recognizable straight cover, I'd frankly rather listen to the original :-)

• Like 1

If there is enough interest, we can certainly do this again.

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 1

While I don't sing and stopped playing the clarinet back in the mid 70s, I love to listen to everyone's interpretations. Please bring this back for the 4th sort of annual competition!

7 hours ago, mad man with a box said:

I might throw my hat in the ring this time

(Still mulling that acoustic version of Rosie...)

Now, that I'd like to hear!

• Like 2

Glad to hear that version 2019 of the contest is on its way. I'm ready to participate, with at least one idea in mind !

• Like 1

This kind of thing is fun but if Greasy Lake does another covers competition the voting system needs looking at. Last time around I was on line most of the day when the voting system went live. I was following things closely and I really had my suspicions there was a bit of games playing going on.  

I mean people giving themselves a score of 3 out of 3 and everyone else a score of 0. Perhaps even voting for themselves twice.

Sorry to have to point this out. 

I can do a prefect version of the slow havin a party version of E Street Shiffle and sound just like Bruce but only when I’m by myself and no recorders are present just doesn’t sound the same when captured 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demos said:

This kind of thing is fun but if Greasy Lake does another covers competition the voting system needs looking at. Last time around I was on line most of the day when the voting system went live. I was following things closely and I really had my suspicions there was a bit of games playing going on.  

I mean people giving themselves a score of 3 out of 3 and everyone else a score of 0. Perhaps even voting for themselves twice.

Sorry to have to point this out. 

This is an outrage, I demand an investigation!

2 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

This is an outrage, I demand an investigation!

There was no collusion. It's a witch hunt!

Seriously, I don't quite remember how we did the vote, but I don't think it was possible to vote twice. 

2 minutes ago, CosmicKid said:

Seriously, I don't quite remember how we did the vote, but I don't think it was possible to vote twice. 

And it's not really that important. Personally, I get my kicks from listening to other people's versions and reading what everyone thinks about mine. The voting itself is just a way, I think, to keep it interesting, but I don't think it's that important.

1 hour ago, CosmicKid said:

The voting system asked people to give each track a score of 0 to 3. One of the first voters gave one particular song a top score of 3 and everything else a 0. It was discussed at the time that awarding 0 to anyone was a bit mean spirited. It was. But the system also potentially enabled a bit of foul play. 

As Tom Joad said it's really not that important but it defeats the purpose of a competition if people start playing games. 

Just sayin'

• Like 1

If I remember you couldn't go in and change votes so if you made the mistake of listening to one and voting planning to go in and vote for the one at a time you were out of luck and it automatically gave any without a vote a zero. I don't think the person who did that did it intentionally. You had to vote all at once and it wasn't necessarily clear to everyone. Anyway, that's what I remember happening.

As it said, the voting system is not really important... we do this kind of contest in a springsteen french forum and we have the same question and doubt  about it. Even if you have a more accurate system, you could not avoid some inscription of member's familly only for voting for the cousin or a brother or a friend...

More than the t-shirt you could win, the most important is the pleasure to create a new version, to exchange with musicians and to read what the others members think about our music. It could create relationship and it's why it's intereting.

• Like 2

I think the voting is just ceremonial and really doesn't matter. I liked having feedback on my entry but I didn't want to "win." When you get right down to it everybody here is a more dedicated, fanatical, fervent fan than I am so it should go elsewhere. But on the other hand...a T-shirt!

Same feeling as some of you. For me voting result is not an objective. Having fun preparing, recording and mixing (oups... sometime it's not fun to mix !!) a cover, and pleasure while listening to others, this is my motto for such friendship contests. Feedback from listeners is my opinion much more interesting !!

• Like 1

I participated last time and my two cents is that rather than a voting system, there should be a way for folks to provide comments on each song or just the ones they choose to comment on them. That kind of feedback would have been cool to hear. I'm not entering a song to win anything, rather to see what you all think of it!