Sign in to follow this  
MagicRatAFC

BBC Scotland/Nae Passaran

So, the fledgling BBC Scotland channel kicks off tomorrow and, at 10 30 p.m. the film "Nae Passaran" is shown.

It's the story of how Scots trade unionists refuse to do maintenance work on fighter engines from the Pinochet regime in Chile.

Little actions can have big consequences and this tells the tale of how this small act impacted on the people of Chile, the victims of the murderous regime of Thatcher's buddy.

Watch it.

Oh, and the last series of "Still Game" kicks off also......though I reckon it's jumped the shark a while back.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

5 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Watch it.

Ooooo, bossy!

So, a sick day has thus far been spent re-watching this marvellous, marvellous movie.

Tears as always but also an immense sense of pride in my country's history of trade-unionism.

This film should be part of the curriculum in every school but I'm moved to wonder if such decency and spirit of commonality would be allowed to subsist in today's world.

Bob Fulton and your comrades...… I salute you.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/01/on-your-way-pinochet-factory-workers-fought-fascism-from-glasgow-chile-coup-nae-pasaran

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

This film should be part of the curriculum in every school but I'm moved to wonder if such decency and spirit of commonality would be allowed to subsist in today's world.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/01/on-your-way-pinochet-factory-workers-fought-fascism-from-glasgow-chile-coup-nae-pasaran

Nae chance, far too inclusive for many. 

Going to watch it as soon as the Track Cycling World Champs finish

Mebbe it's just me being a sentimental old Trade Unionist, but I find this one of the most moving films ever.

• Like 2

Well, that was brilliant. Thanks for the recommendation.

By happy coincidence, the song Victor Jara came in my music system this afternoon. Duck Gaughan version.

• Like 2

Well, "Nae Pasaran" was very moving and very timely due to the chilling parallels between Chile before the military coup and what is happening in Venezuela, to my mind.

A reminder of what decent folk do to support other ordinary people purely because of our simple common humanity. An inspiring and important documentary film.

90 minutes very well spent for this viewer.

• Like 5

What's the rest of the channel like ?

On 3/17/2019 at 5:42 PM, robk1 said:

What's the rest of the channel like ?

It's got Still Game and some Scottish specific sports stuff, mainly fitba, and dedicated Scottish news.

There's not that much, thus far, in terms of "exclusive" content.

51 minutes ago, PoetDownHere said:

i'ma watch this asap.

@MagicRatAFC have you watched the film 'harlan county, usa'?

No, never seen that but I'll have a nose around for it.

On 3/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, MagicRatAFC said:

It's got Still Game and some Scottish specific sports stuff, mainly fitba, and dedicated Scottish news.

There's not that much, thus far, in terms of "exclusive" content.

Have to say, the Wildlife Hospital (Born To Be Wild) series, is the best of it's type I have seen.

We just can't watch shows like that.

My Missus just gets too upset when harm comes to animals, even if there is a happy ending in terms of recovery.

Same with all that vet type shows...... non-starter.

We just about manage the Battersea thing with what's his name......Lilly Savage boy, as there's pretty much always a happy outcome there 

I can't watch stuff where animals are hurt. I used to cover my ears and shut my eyes when wildlife programmes were on the telly when I was little. I used to shout out that those with the cameras should shoo the lions away from yet another poor wildebeest!

No wildebeest were hurt, honest.

Just watched the second last ever episode of Still Game (the wedding one), and it was probably the best one I have ever seen, still to watch the final episode and I have heard it is also very good, keeping it for a rainy day.

p.s. after the final episode this was on (very emotional) when everyone shares their favourite stories about the show, hope you are able to view it : -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0003npy/still-game-thats-plenty

On 3/2/2019 at 2:37 AM, MagicRatAFC said:

So, a sick day has thus far been spent re-watching this marvellous, marvellous movie.

Tears as always but also an immense sense of pride in my country's history of trade-unionism.

it sounds very interesting but saddly not the kind of thing that will make it to pur new little town but it is the sort of thing that night make the maori tv channel. 

thanks for the recommendations also

ill keep an eye out for it long term

We have watched two more Scottish programmes this week. I guess both have been on Scottish TV beforehand. One was about Pipers in WW1, one about the Iolaire ship that sank in sight of Stornaway harbour on 31/12/1918 with horrendous loss of life.

Both highly recommended and should be available on catch up.