The DBD topic got me thinking about Bruce's music videos. Some are great, some seem like a huge waste of resources. Which do you think are the greats and which do you think are the stinkers?

Greats:

Atlantic City: I don't know how much thought was put into this but I think the whole thing is brilliant. I love it that he's nowhere to be seen and I love it that it fits the song perfectly.

DBD: For the reasons already pointed out on that thread. Great job with that one!

Tougher than the Rest: The song doesn't do much for me. But the music video, specially the snippets with the couples, is great.

Brilliant Disguise: Like Atlantic Citym, perfect music video. 

Streets of Philadelphia: Simple, fitting and touching. 

Born to run: some exhilarating shit.

Stinkers:

Long walk home: Such a great song. Music video is Bruce singing, looking bored.The video itself isn't terrible, but the song deserved much better.

One Step Up: See "Long Walk Home"

Hunter of Invisible Game: What a load of pretentious, self-absorbed crap.

Dancing in the Dark: Cringe worthy. So cheesy it hurts.

Glory Days: See "Dancing in the Dark"

16 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

The DBD topic got me thinking about Bruce's music videos. Some are great, some seem like a huge waste of resources. Which do you think are the greats and which do you think are the stinkers?

Greats:

Atlantic City: I don't know how much thought was put into this but I think the whole thing is brilliant. I love it that he's nowhere to be seen and I love it that it fits the song perfectly.

Yes

DBD: For the reasons already pointed out on that thread. Great job with that one!

This

Tougher than the Rest: The song doesn't do much for me. But the music video, specially the snippets with the couples, is great.

Yes

Brilliant Disguise: Like Atlantic Citym, perfect music video. 

This

Streets of Philadelphia: Simple, fitting and touching. 

Yes

Born to run: some exhilarating shit.

Hell yes

Stinkers:

Long walk home: Such a great song. Music video is Bruce singing, looking bored.The video itself isn't terrible, but the song deserved much better.

No.

The video was great. Tony's Freehold Grill .......... I've sat on the stool.......had the Best Ruben.......

One Step Up: See "Long Walk Home"

Yeah mebbe ........

Hunter of Invisible Game: What a load of pretentious, self-absorbed crap.

Yeah .......

Of its time 

Glory Days: See "Dancing in the Dark"

Fun!!

And yet one the best things he ever did in regards to mainstream mega-stardom. I think it's class, me. 

Sometimes I'll rewatch it and ponder the massively contrasting thoughts going through the heads of all the non-Springsteen fans watching and mine. 

Them: "I’m here because of OITNB Season 6"

Me: "Will they edit this off the St Paul show if they ever release it from the Archive Series?"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

The video was great. Tony's Freehold Grill .......... I've sat on the stool.......had the Best Ruben.......

You're clearly biased!

• Haha 2

Just now, Tom-Joad said:

You're clearly biased!

Oh yes 

The staff in that place were amongst the nicest people I've ever met.

Two of the nicest girls ever were the waitresses who came and sat with us and took the time to draw us a map/write up directions for our Bruce/Jersey tour.

Then, when we'd reflected this in our tip, they came back to check we hadn't made a mistake by over tipping.

And lunch was amazing.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Oh yes 

The staff in that place were amongst the nicest people I've ever met.

Two of the nicest girls ever were the waitresses who came and sat with us and took the time to draw us a map/write up directions for our Bruce/Jersey tour.

Then, when we'd reflected this in our tip, they came back to check we hadn't made a mistake by over tipping.

And lunch was amazing.

Maybe I'd give the video a pass if I'd had that experience.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

And yet one the best things he ever did in regards to mainstream mega-stardom. I think it's class, me. 

I know. I'll never understand that. It embarasses me when it's on somewhere and everyone knows I'm a big fan.

• Like 1

Tougher... is the greatest video. It just screams: 'release Tunnel Tour video!'.

Good: Glory Days, crap: BUSA, DITD, I'm On Fire.

Great: Brilliant Disguise, Atlantic City, Human Touch and the Rosalita, Thunder Road, The River, Fire, Spare Parts, Born To Run live video's.

Nice to watch: Tunnel Of Love, One Step Up, Born To Run acoustic live, Leap Of Faith live.

Fair play to hate on the DiTD video in 2019, but it is a product of it's time.  In hindsight, 1984 was *not* a time known for good taste - "Cosby sweaters" anyone?

Besides, it was better than the Marcel Marceau one we could have ended up with :blink:

Related image

The video for Rosalita - for the longest time the only Bruce vid around - is an amazing freshman effort,  and is still timeless, cool, funny, rockin', insert your own superlative here

• Like 2

Human Touch :wub:

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

who said the 80s lacked good taste (well actually Jukebox did)

music videos are the 80s

my favourite was glory days because we got to see some of the band and in 1985 NZ was about as far away from E Street as the moon

Dancing in the dark was just so much fun

at 13, no way would i have been allowed to go to a concert even if i hadn't lived 5 hours from Christchurch that got the odd big overseas act back then

i remember being in high school and my cousin who was my age went on a bus to a big concert in Chch (i don't remember who but a big 80s act) and my parents said what a waste of money and no way would i be allowed to go

but i had Ready To Roll on a Saturday night

a half hour of the top 20 songs' videos

i was a born in 1971

NZ was still in the 50s then

my parents always had me on a very short leash

but by the 80s at least ir was the 60s

we all had colour tv 

Im on fire

love the 80s - videos were short stories

OMG when he rolled out from under that car :wub:

also it makes it fucking clear Daddy is a sugar Daddy and everyone is over the age of concent !

BITUSA anyone who watched that has zero excuse for not knowing what the song was about

grown up me loves

the river from No Nukes because i dreamed of being that girl in the audience (i never wanted to be Courtney cox)

Girls in their summer clothes

so pretty

long walk home

love mature Bruce 

top marks to Hunter of invisible games

that beaitiful intro

the apocolips 

Bruce wet in a stream with no.shirt on

the 80s for grown ups (maybe just a special treat for female fans)

serouse eye candy

....i might have to go watch it now

worthy of mention

QOTS beauriful car !  

also at that time that was the most wounderful supermarket i had ever seen - even this late in the play we were still behind the rest of the world

did i mention the beautiful car :wub:

• Like 2

The 57 Channels video is so bad its actually good. Like an addictive reality tv show, you roll your eyes and make disparaging remarks yet are back again next week watching...

• Bruuuuce! 1

10 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

The 57 Channels video is so bad its actually good. Like an addictive reality tv show, you roll your eyes and make disparaging remarks yet are back again next week watching...

it is ! 

i love when they carry out the shot tv

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

it is ! 

i love when they carry out the shot tv

The tv's the car supposedly drives through all exploding well before the car gets there is my favourite bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's Sunday arvo here and a public holiday tomorrow in South Australia. All this video talk has me contemplating grabbing a brewski and dragging out my Video Anthology DVD...

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

It's Sunday arvo here and a public holiday tomorrow in South Australia. All this video talk has me contemplating grabbing a brewski and dragging out my Video Anthology DVD...

i was thinking something similar but ill have to work out where the wires on the blue ray go 

happy sigh

334e21c2257f5807b0c87242dec00b51--rock-lobster-the-boss-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

ahhh a world before reality tv

but 57 channels and nothing on - never anything so truer said

i must say i also love the live version from unplugged alao

• Like 1

Atlantic City and BD work brilliantly. I think black and white technique, one having no Bruce, the other so full of Bruce it is actually intimidating. He is looking straight into the camera, invading my privacy, and it is exactly what the song needs. 

Also a favourite of mine, Streets Of Philadelphia. I love the setting and the suround sounds in the beginning, his walking through the neighborhood... Perfect.

I'm On Fire. This is fake Bruce, but I like the video. I always smile when I see the video and think about how many times he said on stage he didn't know shit about car maintenance...

Glory Days is realistic and therefore fun...

DITD. I can't watch Friends without thinking of Bruce. :PLoved how he didn't know she was a professional actor when they were shooting. Jon Landau is a fox...

Hunter video I can't watch. It is making me uncomfortable, the apocalyptic idea is fine, but he went too far. And it is too long. It would have been better in black and white, no Bruce, just the horse.

Long Walk Home is not so good. Human Touch is too dark.

All the live videos are great, but they are just patchwork made of live footage.

57 Channels I don't remember. Have to check it out.

Don't like music videos....even Bruce ones.

Fire - whether it was just laziness or a conscious artistic desicion, I think it's great. Releasing a video that is nothing like the single it's supposed to represent, I like that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rizla said:

Human Touch :wub:

Indeed. His best video, IMHO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Fire - whether it was just laziness or a conscious artistic desicion, I think it's great. Releasing a video that is nothing like the single it's supposed to represent, I like that. 

I always found that one a little unhinged...  the false start and mugging of the intro..  later where he does the "I gotta stay calm" schtick.   Nils and Danny are pissing themselves, in on the joke, but to me it seemed very out there.

It plays better when it's seen as part of the whole show.  I'm pretty sure it's on YouTube - worth a look.

• Like 1