Greasy Lake Community

Sam Fender - Big Bruce fan

Sam Fender intervied by his football hero Alan Shearer. It's on BBC 2 11-15pm

Should be good, I like what he says about Michael Owen

https://www.themag.co.uk/2019/10/sam-fender-interviewed-by-alan-shearer-is-a-classic-michael-owen-is-a-tw-t-newcastle-united/

2 hours ago, High As Hope said:

I listened to this along with his covers of DITD & BITUSA,just felt that his accent didn't match the song,bit like if Bruce covered Fog On The Tyne.

A bit like Bruce singing any of the Brit 60s songs?

:)

Sam does a fine job.

• Like 1

Auntie, Listened to this album over the last two weeks and he is like a breath of fresh air and I know he is from the NE and you have been a big supporter of him, however I was wondering what your reaction was to his message in my favourite track fron the record, ? this one : -

41 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Auntie, Listened to this album over the last two weeks and he is like a breath of fresh air and I know he is from the NE and you have been a big supporter of him, however I was wondering what your reaction was to his message in my favourite track fron the record, ? this one : -

I'm no Auntie that's understood, but I've sorted a tiny bit on "White Privilege". While it's fine musically and there's nothing awful lyrically, it does seem a little try-hard from him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've been listening to these four today. Hadn't heard them and was glad to find them after overplaying the album tracks as of recent. 

Screenshot_20191008_165624.thumb.jpg.d54d65a49d7e31a6823a91945ca51831.jpg

I think Friday fighting and Poundshop Kardashians are the best ones of his released non-album tracks.
I added them and took out my least favorite tracks to make my own Hypersonic missilies tracklist:

1. Hypersonic missiles
2. The Borders
3. White privilege
4. Dead boys
5. You're not the only one
6. Saturday
7. Will we talk?
8. Friday fighting
9. Two people
10. Pounshop Kardashians
11. That sound

Flows pretty well I think.

33 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm no Auntie that's understood, but I've sorted a tiny bit on "White Privilege". While it's fine musically and there's nothing awful lyrically, it does seem a little try-hard from him. 

I can't help but agree with you - can see exactly what he's trying to do and everything, i.e. make a big social commentary like his idol Bruce, but think my issue isn't so much that its try-hard but a little too obvious - Springsteen made his social commentaries in a very understated and clever way, e.g. through stories, or by hiding it behind a banging chorus a la BITUSA.

Not too bothered, though - some of his writing is insane considering he's such a new artist

Are you, or anyone else for that matter, heading to see any of his FIVE SOLD OUT hometown shows?

Just now, BobbyJames said:

Are you, or anyone else for that matter, heading to see any of his FIVE SOLD OUT hometown shows?

Or if anyone isn't in the North, or in the UK at all, is anyone going to see him on tour/have they seen him before?

1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

I think Friday fighting and Poundshop Kardashians are the best ones of his released non-album tracks.
I added them and took out my least favorite tracks to make my own Hypersonic missilies tracklist:

1. Hypersonic missiles
2. The Borders
3. White privilege
4. Dead boys
5. You're not the only one
6. Saturday
7. Will we talk?
8. Friday fighting
9. Two people
10. Pounshop Kardashians
11. That sound

Flows pretty well I think.

It's between "Friday" and "Millennial" for me. I think with the former and "Saturday", Sam's gimmick should be that he writes a song about every day of the week. I haven't heard "Poundshop Kardashians" yet tbh. 

Good tracklist. 1, 2, 6 and 7 are my absolute favourites of his. 

1 hour ago, BobbyJames said:

I can't help but agree with you - can see exactly what he's trying to do and everything, i.e. make a big social commentary like his idol Bruce, but think my issue isn't so much that its try-hard but a little too obvious - Springsteen made his social commentaries in a very understated and clever way, e.g. through stories, or by hiding it behind a banging chorus a la BITUSA.

Not too bothered, though - some of his writing is insane considering he's such a new artist

Well put. It seems a bit too "I knar us lads are pure bellends like, but I'm sound cos I'm aware of it" to me. 

As you say, he's got a good catalogue for his age and not every song is going to be a hit with every fan. 

Nah mate I'm not going. I contemplated it, but I don't think I'm at that stage of fandom yet. Mind, I'd have been surprised if I even got a ticket. 

• Like 1

Just met him whilst watching a band called Sophie and the Giants, nicest guy ever - we both went to the Manchester River show in 2016 and we had the nerdiest chat about Springsteen and him supporting Neil young and Bob Dylan in Hyde park - can’t stop smiling about it!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Just met him whilst watching a band called Sophie and the Giants, nicest guy ever - we both went to the Manchester River show in 2016 and we had the nerdiest chat about Springsteen and him supporting Neil young and Bob Dylan in Hyde park - can’t stop smiling about it!!

Class!

5 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Wow, cool! He does seem like a really nice guy.

On 10/8/2019 at 5:33 PM, BobbyJames said:

Or if anyone isn't in the North, or in the UK at all, is anyone going to see him on tour/have they seen him before?

We were going to see him at Glastonbury this year where he was supposed to be playing two sets. Unfortunately he cancelled due to illness.

We have tickets to see him at Alexandra Palace next year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What an awesome talent. I listened to Sam's album for the first time tonight, having ordered it after reading an article about him and his admiration for Bruce.  As I head through my 60s, think I'm allowed to be late to the party when I finally find it.

The album is fantastic for the melodies, production and words.  Don't agree with some of his angry-young-man opinions, but that's irrelevant.  He's got intensity and sincerity by the shed-load. 

His lyrics and narratives derive an amount from Bruce, but his voice is so often like Brandon Flowers.  Sure he's not copying, that's the way it is.

He's reached parts already lyrically and musically that Ed Sheeran must dream of.  Sam's even got Clarence in the band for some numbers. 

Hope his North Shields fires burn bright and  powerful for years.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Sam in Liverpool last night at the University and I doubt we will will get the chance to see him in such a small venue again, had the place rocking with an excellent performance. Certainly recommend catching him if you can

• Like 1