BruceHistory

SPINGSTEEN SHOWS GETTING BANNED FROM YouTube‼️

On 3/27/2019 at 7:44 AM, BruceWho said:

Yeah 1985 was awesome sound - I too was at St James Park and all 3 Wembley nights in July '85 which were the best sound I've heard in that old place (been to many - the new one is awful) - but - back in there 3 years later in '88 on the TOL tour and it was a pale comparison, and just not loud enough!

1985 has been the benchmark for "stadium" shows (for me) and I can count on one hand how many times it has come close - and oddly enough one of thee closest was in Benidorm of all places (the last time I saw Clarence on stage I think??) where even the volume was there - with bass and drums vibrating in your chest!  Not enough time spent on it all anymore (and/or crap engineers!?) because it isn't ALWAYS the best even indoors / arenas, although miles better than his outdoor ventures.

As I said in my previous post - venues themselves can't always be blamed because Bruce gets "shown up" when he is playing on the same bill as others - the two different venues (?) that I mentioned had 2 bands with plenty of players on stage (we are not talking 3 or 4 piece bands) and Dave Matthews Band in particular had a lot of different instrumentation going on and their sound compared to Bruce was SO much better (and seemed a tad louder too) - he really has dropped the ball on this front since coming back outdoors from Rising Tour onwards - and the sad thing is that it has got progressively worse IMHO as the tours go by!!? (ie. some Rising shows weren't too bad - in fact pretty good compared to the last couple of outings!).

I wish the days of fields and stadiums were behind us (blimey how great / lucky were we on the Reunion Tour!!!) but sadly (after the longest break now for well over a decade) I think we will be putting up with it all again when they do come back out, and with possibly only 2 "major" ESB tours left we are stuck with it until the end now!!!, as those will be pension tours for the band!!!   

Listening to the 1985 outdoor shows makes me feel like they were using different instruments back then. I was at 4 of them and have heard every single one many times over. I dont know if I agree with you guys about the sound: I feel like all I hear is Max/Gary!

Funny you said that about "Vibrating": I remember telling my buddy at the second Miami show how I felt like I was vibrating as well! But back then, I didn't know the difference but 120 shows later I can always tell when an 85 stadium song comes on the mix.

Brad

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, BruceHistory said:

Meanwhile, I just watched a 'Dave Gilmour' show from 'Royal Albert Hall' .... man, he can still play. What a great musician; Richard was too and played keyboard that night!

I was at that show (whichever one it was of those released on DVD as I did them both and some others more recently that weren't recorded, was it the one with Bowie in the encore?) - but yeah he can still play that thing and still has his voice! Saw him in there about a week or so after Prince died and he fused a bit of Purple Rain (with purple lighting) in to the solo at the end of Comfortably Numb.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 11:02 AM, BruceHistory said:

Your talking to the right person (as I said above somewhere) .... but your right: Pink Floyd! Forgot about those guys - great chill music! Meanwhile, I just watched a 'Dave Gilmour' show from 'Royal Albert Hall' .... man, he can still play. What a great musician; Richard was too and played keyboard that night!

Anyway, if I had a dime for everytime a Springsteen show got in the way of my routine, I'd be rich.

Brad

You should check out the Milwaukee “Bomb Scare” show from ‘75! Best Bruce show I’ve heard recently! The E Street Shuffle is like 25 minutes long! 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 8:14 PM, Outlaw Darin said:

I much prefer having some music playing than dead silence. It’s always a toss between those two or Pink Floyd lol.  I was actually listening to Bruce at Landover  8/5/81 and ended up staying up and listening to the first set. 

we used to listen to quite a lot of pink Floyd . i used to enjoy them up very loud

but it made me so angry like a teenage boy.  in the end i worked this out and threw out The Wall

• Haha 1

So in today’s article on last night’s surprise appearance for the film, Springsteen said he gets lots of ideas from skimming through YouTube stuff. Hence, I guess it was him that made sure so many shows were taken down. (See the first thing I wrote here to start this thread). 

Thats pretty cool. You agree? I lost well over 200 saved shows - shit!

lol,

Brad 

On 3/26/2019 at 12:26 PM, Promise61 said:

Fair points, well made.

Bruce will be remembered for many great things, but never for his overall sound quality at shows.  Weirdly, the best sound I've ever heard from Bruce was on the Seeger Tour when there were about five hundred people on stage.  Maybe it was the acoustic nature of those shows that made them sound so good.

500 people on stage - hahahahaha

On 4/1/2019 at 6:23 AM, Outlaw Darin said:

You should check out the Milwaukee “Bomb Scare” show from ‘75! Best Bruce show I’ve heard recently! The E Street Shuffle is like 25 minutes long! 

That’s because they’re all so fucked up on stage that they probably forgot to end the song lol

But yea dude - I’ve had that show for years - good time.

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2019 at 9:50 AM, BruceWho said:

I was at that show (whichever one it was of those released on DVD as I did them both and some others more recently that weren't recorded, was it the one with Bowie in the encore?) - but yeah he can still play that thing and still has his voice! Saw him in there about a week or so after Prince died and he fused a bit of Purple Rain (with purple lighting) in to the solo at the end of Comfortably Numb.

Dave Gilmour  was certainly a Prince fan . At least, he sat a few rows in front of me at the last night of the month long Prince stand at the O2 in London back in Septmber 2007.

the night of the hello sunshine release i couldn't sleep

i don't have the full albums on my phone at the moment so i usually just google up u tube 

i have brough all the albums in multible formats over the years so I'm hardly stealing 

(also without u tube i woukd not have discovered winterland)

but it was bloody near impossible the other night to find anything, Nebraska was particularly hard work

i do realize an album is different to a bootleged show

but someone at JLM are getting possessive all of a sudden

not that im saying that'd not their right 

but why now ?

another reason i dont have a problem listening on u tube to albums is because i brought the vinyl  remaster box set #1 and the bonus mp3 code would my work due to location and my email send to the adress on the sheet that came with the box set never got a personal reply - just a generated reply saying that'd get back to me

I haven't read this whole thread so only going off the title, but if true that is ironic considering Bruce just the other day recommended fans to go to YouTube to view live footage right?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LONDONCALLING said:

Dave Gilmour  was certainly a Prince fan . At least, he sat a few rows in front of me at the last night of the month long Prince stand at the O2 in London back in Septmber 2007.

We did about half a dozen of those 21 Nights shows (my wife is a fan) - we got front row one night and he smiled and nodded at her (she came away with a guitar pic) - nuff said! ha!  We were also at that final night - quite a sight when the lights went down with 20,000 (free) purple glow sticks waving in the air - the first 2 numbers went out on Sky News as I recall.  Not so good later on when idiots who had obviously had one sherbet too many thought it would be a good idea to throw said glow stick from the upper level down on folks below!!!...…….remember one landing very near Prince when he was doing his solo piano medley and he just said in a real deep voice "that's rude!".  Of all the folks we've lost in recent times (there was that hideous year a couple of years' back) I have a job realising sometimes that he is dead...…...same with Tom Petty (and of course Bowie - but he had been ill, those guys were a shock!!!)   

10 hours ago, unclejosh said:

I haven't read this whole thread so only going off the title, but if true that is ironic considering Bruce just the other day recommended fans to go to YouTube to view live footage right?

I took those comments not so much as a “recommendation” but as resigned sarcasm, and more to Thom Zimny than to us fans.  As in if you can’t find something you need in “the vault,” go to YouTube.  It became a joke; a tag line.  

reference a few comments on being disappointed on the apparent monetization of Springsteen archives.... remember this is the guy who charged £500 for a ticket to his show and thus priced out many of his fan base.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:44 AM, badlands78 said:

Could someone clarify what has been removed from YouTube?  Was it only videos that contained officially released audio (Nugs etc.)?

No. Everything, and in the most aggressive manner possible.

I had a video up of the Belfast pre-show. No longer. The fact Universal didn't own the coipyright on part of the performance didn't matter to them. Even when I challenged them to prove ownership they persisted in their claim without doing so. So far Google, owners of YouTube, has sided with their corporate friend. I'm an attorney with a background in i.p. and some of the crap they have been sending me has no basis in law. It's pure intimidation.

I don't monetarize concert videos. That would be wrong. I do have a bunch of other non music videos up that do provide me with some income. I should say did. I now have a copyright strike thanks to Bruce Inc. He's literally taking money from me. All they had to do was ask me to take it down and I would have. But no, direct, punitive action. So...

1. I'm taking down all my Springsteen videos,

2. I'll continue to pursue this through the ADR processes,

3. I'm done with a man I now consider a fraud.

I should note that there is a valid defence against the copyright claim of Universal in the particular video in question. No full songs were involved, only small chunks. it was part of a vlog about the uniqueness of Bruce's pre-shows. It's fair dealing.

I have over 1,400 music videos on YouTube. During the last U2 tour I used the platform to distribute Mr. MacPhisto's, a Bono character, artistic attacks on some of the right wing candidates in Brasil and the United States. One went viral, wound up on Brasilian national TV. A member of the U2 staff tracked me down and thanked me. U2 thanks me, Bruce does his thing.

Yes, I flew across the ocean and paid a ton of money to see Springsteen on Broadway. There were those in this community who criticised the high prices as a money grab. I ignored them. It was Bruce, after all. Well...

I'm done.

Bruce Inc. could have done what every other band does, save a few exceptions: claim the copyright and make money from our work. If he was going to persist in having the videos taken down he simply could have asked me to do so. It's happened a few times in the past and, of course, I complied. Not Bruce.

I'll recover, he won't. While he's been off doing his exclusive shows the world has moved on. YouTube is a promotional vehicle for most acts. Bruce is a dinosaur for folks under 35. There's a reason he can't fill arenas in much of the United States. Outside of a few markets, here in Europe his stadium days are done. Wrecking Ball was a brilliant commentary for our times. During the Trump era, Bruce has been relatively quiet while his ex-business partner, one who I have no doubt he opposes politically, does his thing. Yes, ex-business partner. TRO promoted some of his mid '80's Giants Stadium gigs. Bruce has become irrelevant and silent. I wonder why?

I remember the Bruce who sued to try to prevent the Ticketmaster - Live Nation merger. Now he sells Ticketmaster Platinum tickets for seats on the floor of stadiums. Verified fan which empowers the Ticketmaster data base, instead of the Glastonbury model, very adaptable for a small theatre, which is more effective against resales, and does not. Broadway ticket prices.

Now a "new" album of songs he apparently wrote years ago. Old songs by an old man for...packaged as new. No thanks.

Looking forward to seeing Jake and Max and Garry, most of all Garry, on tour. As for Bruce, no thanks. A man who literally sues his fans, contrary to what virtually every other act does, is not worth my time. I hope he enjoys his daughters horse jumping. If he's lucky, maybe she can marry into the Royal Family. They do things like that. May he be happy and enjoy his wealth.

Bruce should be careful, though. Many in the internet community don't like high handed corporate i.p. enforcement. Wouldn't it be a shame if his own web site was taken down by a few well intentioned individuals? I, of course, would oppose any such action. But karma is strange...

Peace all and enjoy our memories, because in Bruce-land they are a lot better than the present. And for those waiting for the next tour here in Europe, be sure to buy all your tickets for all shows at Ticketmaster. Forget Eventim, See and other vendors. Only tickets bought through Ticketmaster count in the Verified Fan algorithm, which they will be rolling out in the 4th quarter of this year in Europe. Forget the principles that caused Bruce to sue Ticketmaster and get with the new program...

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Turkued said:

I had a video up of the Belfast pre-show. No longer. The fact Universal didn't own the coipyright on part of the performance didn't matter to them. Even when I challenged them to prove ownership they persisted in their claim without doing so. So far Google, owners of YouTube, has sided with their corporate friend. I'm an attorney with a background in i.p. and some of the crap they have been sending me has no basis in law. It's pure intimidation.

I don't monetarize concert videos. That would be wrong. I do have a bunch of other non music videos up that do provide me with some income. I should say did. I now have a copyright strike thanks to Bruce Inc. He's literally taking money from me. All they had to do was ask me to take it down and I would have. But no, direct, punitive action. So...

I should note that there is a valid defence against the copyright claim of Universal in the particular video in question. No full songs were involved, only small chunks. it was part of a vlog about the uniqueness of Bruce's pre-shows. It's fair dealing.

I have over 1,400 music videos on YouTube. During the last U2 tour I used the platform to distribute Mr. MacPhisto's, a Bono character, artistic attacks on some of the right wing candidates in Brasil and the United States. One went viral, wound up on Brasilian national TV. A member of the U2 staff tracked me down and thanked me. U2 thanks me, Bruce does his thing.

Yes, I flew across the ocean and paid a ton of money to see Springsteen on Broadway. There were those in this community who criticised the high prices as a money grab. I ignored them. It was Bruce, after all. Well...

I'm done.

Bruce Inc. could have done what every other band does, save a few exceptions: claim the copyright and make money from our work. If he was going to persist in having the videos taken down he simply could have asked me to do so. It's happened a few times in the past and, of course, I complied. Not Bruce.

I'll recover, he won't. While he's been off doing his exclusive shows the world has moved on. YouTube is a promotional vehicle for most acts. Bruce is a dinosaur for folks under 35. There's a reason he can't fill arenas in much of the United States. Outside of a few markets, here in Europe his stadium days are done. Wrecking Ball was a brilliant commentary for our times. During the Trump era, Bruce has been relatively quiet while his ex-business partner, one who I have no doubt he opposes politically, does his thing. Yes, ex-business partner. TRO promoted some of his mid '80's Giants Stadium gigs. Bruce has become irrelevant and silent. I wonder why?

I remember the Bruce who sued to try to prevent the Ticketmaster - Live Nation merger. Now he sells Ticketmaster Platinum tickets for seats on the floor of stadiums. Verified fan which empowers the Ticketmaster data base, instead of the Glastonbury model, very adaptable for a small theatre, which is more effective against resales, and does not. Broadway ticket prices.

Now a "new" album of songs he apparently wrote years ago. Old songs by an old man for...packaged as new. No thanks.

Looking forward to seeing Jake and Max and Garry, most of all Garry, on tour. As for Bruce, no thanks. A man who literally sues his fans, contrary to what virtually every other act does, is not worth my time. I hope he enjoys his daughters horse jumping. If he's lucky, maybe she can marry into the Royal Family. They do things like that. May he be happy and enjoy his wealth.

Bruce should be careful, though. Many in the internet community don't like high handed corporate i.p. enforcement. Wouldn't it be a shame if his own web site was taken down by a few well intentioned individuals? I, of course, would oppose any such action. But karma is strange...

Peace all and enjoy our memories, because in Bruce-land they are a lot better than the present. And for those waiting for the next tour here in Europe, be sure to buy all your tickets for all shows at Ticketmaster. Forget Eventim, See and other vendors. Only tickets bought through Ticketmaster count in the Verified Fan algorithm, which they will be rolling out in the 4th quarter of this year in Europe. Forget the principles that caused Bruce to sue Ticketmaster and get with the new program...

Thanks for all the back story and details which I hadn't been aware of.  I respect your opinions on this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Thanks for all the back story and details which I hadn't been aware of.  I respect your opinions on this.

And I respect those who have a different take on things, as well.

2 hours ago, Turkued said:

I'm done.

OMG this saddens me - I don't know you but from some of your past posts I feel like you are a similar type of Bruce fan to myself (ie. love the man and most of his work but not everything that he, or his set up "do", ie. the sun doesn't shine out of his backside! / don't hold him up as he can do no wrong etc) and we are part of a small group I think that travelled to Turku (and yes - I too was at SoB and happy to pay the price!)………..but to see the effect this has had on you really does sadden me, such a shame!

I would just say (not in his defence as such) that I really do wonder sometimes how much Bruce (and other artists) know about this sort of thing - these type of decisions - ie. I don't imagine Bruce sitting in on many "business" meetings and/or being involved in decision making a lot of the time. That said I'm under no illusion whatsoever that it is all about making money / big business (and that includes U2, who I also am a fan of) and Springsteen's camp have disappointed me regularly on recent tours with their choice of venues at times (that obviously came as a bargain and offered greater returns) with no true consideration for the demographic of a huge proportion of their audience! 

However I have not (nor can I) found myself reaching the point that you quite evidently now have (which is why it saddens me - that ANY artist could piss off a GOOD fan to this degree!) - it is in part because I "am" a realist and I'm under no misapprehension that this isn't anything BUT big business now (I'm a huge fan of The Who and Pete T, brutally honest as ever, doesn't even pretend - he says The Who are now a "brand" not a "band") - my days of seeing Bruce as a working class guy who cares deeply about us in the audience are long gone, and it was more personal touches and about things that REALLY matter (to me) and which I felt "were" his domain / within his control and none more so than the "sound" at his shows and the often lack of a proper sound check etc.

I loved the guy who was quite anal about stuff and would go and stand in all four corners of a venue to check that it was good enough - I call out the guy who stays back at the luxury hotel a little bit longer and has a "tape" of Spirit in the Night do the sound check and under the control of guys who must be deaf because the sound on recent tours (well I say recent - about 30 years now!) has been dire at times...…….I'd say from my experiences GOOD 10% of the time, PASSABLE/ACCEPTABLE 25%, POOR 50% and DOWNRIGHT AWFUL 15%...……..pre 1988 it would have been EXCELLENT 60%, GOOD 25% and PASSABLE 15%...…...THAT is the thing that matters most to me because Bruce Springsteen (like The Who) are most important to me in a live concert setting - THAT is what I'm  a fan of the most (yes - great albums etc as well, but fodder for the stage) and THAT is where I feel he is letting fans down...…..and I don't see the point in putting on 3.5 hour shows that punters cannot hear in quality sound!!! (Don't get me started on TicketBastard).   

BUT - I obviously haven't been pissed off to the degree that you now have been (which is sad) - that and/or a mixture of the fact that I couldn't / wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face...…….I will still be going to see him in concert (where he comes alive) and I'm okay with the fact that a large part of it is a "magic trick"...…….I like the trick...…….but I'd prefer to observe the trick in decent venues and with great sound, because "sound" is surely the biggest factor in presenting the trick!? There's one thing in your post that I would love to be right (but which unfortunately I suspect you may be wrong in) and that is that his days of playing stadiums in Europe are over!!!...…...oh please let that be so...…..that would be a massive step in the direction of better sound (and conditions) but I fear that it will be old stadia and random fields / open spaces (with a few iconic stadiums mixed in) yet again when the E Street business machine fires up next time!!!...…...the 4 year gap since last time (and a whole new bunch of teens then who are now early twenties - mixed in with us older fans worrying that this could be the last time!!?) - along with a reasonable ticket price (compared to some) will see them fill these places once again...…….but how I hope I am wrong and you are right!

Very sad to hear someone like yourself feel this betrayed today...…….not a post I wanted to read. Shame! (but don't lose sight of the fact that "he" may be oblivious)……..maybe the only positive to take from it (given last w/end in Asbury Park) is that we are going to see "several" official releases soon - concert videos - and this aggressive approach with regards you tube etc is to clear the way / create a starvation (sounds like something Landau & Co would do) and then take down an uploads "from" said official releases (trying to force people to buy the product). Who knows? - but does Bruce even know ALL?

I may not like or agree with the way they present the drug at times (well - I know I don't) - BUT - as an addict I'm still going to take the drug!, and I wish you every success with your cold turkey, I really do...…….and I find it a real shame / sad that any fan has found themselves at that point of disillusion!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turkued said:

I'm done.

Wow.  Thanks for sharing this.  Enlightening.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Turkued said:

I'm done.

I wouldn’t think that the way they went about doing this had you, specifically, in mind. Maybe you would have brought down the videos, I’ll take your word for it. Others probably wouldn’t. I don’t see why you’d take this personally. And I sure don’t understand why you seem to understand why Bruce should be thanking you like U2 did. If you’re videos didn’t violate intelectual property law, then I do hope that specific issue gets settled. In any case, you were posting videos of a musician using a platform that is not yours. 

Also, I think that little thing you did there implying that Bruce hasn’t been vocal about Trump because they apparently were business partners in the 80’s, truly disgusting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Joad said:

Also, I think that little thing you did there implying that Bruce hasn’t been vocal about Trump because they apparently were business partners in the 80’s, truly disgusting.

Especially since he HAS been vocal.  Maybe not as vocal as people would like.  And maybe because he hasn’t yet, and might never write a song about it.  As is his right.

But make no mistake.  He has made his feelings well known; from the concert stage, the Broadway stage, and during interviews.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Turkued said:

Now a "new" album of songs he apparently wrote years ago. Old songs by an old man for...packaged as new. No thanks

This is something that's been bothering me, too.

And the newly discovered fact that the new album cover is actually a shot from Argentina.

I was thinking about this a lot today, about the fact that the album, which is supposed to be "a sweeping range of American themes, of highways and desert spaces, of isolation and community and the permanence of home and hope" has a beautiful wasteland on the cover, and it is not even from the USA.

This is perhaps a minor detail, but it irritates me. I can't put my words around it, it just feels wrong.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silvia said:

This is something that's been bothering me, too. 

And the newly discovered fact that the new album cover is actually a shot from Argentina.

I was thinking about this a lot today, about the fact that the album, which is supposed to be "a sweeping range of American themes, of highways and desert spaces, of isolation and community and the permanence of home and hope" has a beautiful wasteland on the cover, and it is not even from the USA.

This is perhaps a minor detail, but it irritates me. I can't put my words around it, it just feels wrong.

Maybe American themes doesn't just mean themes relating to the USA, maybe it's the whole continent.

I have no issue with when he wrote the songs, they are new to me and the only one I have heard I like very much.

I am also not happy about calling him an old man. He is the same age as my husband and I am not ready to think of either of them as old men!! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BruceWho said:

I would just say (not in his defence as such) that I really do wonder sometimes how much Bruce (and other artists) know about this sort of thing - these type of decisions - ie. I don't imagine Bruce sitting in on many "business" meetings and/or being involved in decision making a lot of the time.

Me neither. As much as Turkued's post saddens me as well, from what I know, most of these types of take-downs are done by an automated system- there are no humans involved in the decision-making. And, Bruce is not the only artist who has stuff removed- I can think of a couple off the top of my head.

Prince sued fans a few years ago over bootlegs:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/27/prince-sues-internet-users-alleged-bootleg-recordings

His estate even sued a fan over videos on YouTube:

https://theblast.com/prince-estate-youtube-lawsuit/

4 hours ago, BruceWho said:

it saddens me - that ANY artist could piss off a GOOD fan to this degree!-

Oh, I know of one who's done much worse!

• Like 3

I’m surprised and sorry you are so angry that “they” took down your Bruce videos.  I agree with Ann and Misty Rain that it’s probably not Bruce personally.  

• Like 1

@Turkued, why does it matter exactly when the songs were written?  They are new to me, and that’s great.  I’ll be glad to hear them.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1