Greasy Lake Community

Off topic but related: Jersey shore food

A question for anyone who's spend a decent amount of time on the Jersey shore: I was browsing cookbooks (I enjoy the restaurant copycat cookbooks) on Amazon yesterday when a book was suggested to me that contained recipes from a number of Jersey shore restaurants. And, in looking at that book, I also saw that there are, in fact, a plethora of books on the subject.

So, my question is: what is so special about Jersey shore food that rates all these books? Is it just the fact that there are a lot of eateries along the many boardwalks? Or is there a unique, regional approach to food? What are some of your favorite places/dishes? 

I really am curious because, like any fan, I'd love to make the pilgrimage to the area. Knowing that there are delicious treats waiting there only makes me want to go more!

I thought we had a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it.  I suggest trying these (maybe take a jog after though :D).

Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese:

Image result for pork roll egg and cheese

Italian Hot Dog:

Image result for italian hot dog

Pizza (we have the best):

Image result for new jersey pizza

Sausage, Pepper and Onion Sandwich:

Image result for new jersey sausage sandwich

Kohr's Frozen Custard:

Image result for kohr's frozen custard

Also, we are home of the 'diner' so try out one of those.  In fact I just ate at a diner last night.  I had french onion soup and a tuna melt.  Not very nutritious but once in awhile isn't bad.

All of the above can be found at the boardwalks and elsewhere in the state.  But we also have the best Italian restaurants around as well.

Well, I am no Jersey Girl, and wouldn’t dare say I had the knowledge of one! But I will say that some of the best food I’ve ever had, I’ve had down the shore. If you don’t already know, I have a MAJOR love for Frank’s diner in Asbury. I love the quintessential American feel it has, and it’s exactly what I would want from a trip to New Jersey. I’d definitely sell my soul for some pancakes and bacon from there right now. 

Also, BD is right, NJ has the best pizza. Federicis for example!! Ice cream wise, I really loved Hoffman’s ice cream in Point Pleasant. I think about it regularly.. :lol:

English food sucks compared to NJ food. Even the salads in Asbury are amazing. Robinson’s Ale House in Asbury is another one of my favourites. They do a lot of classic NJ/American food, but also interesting and exciting things too. They’ll put their own spin on something classic. Every time I go, I always have to go there!

The only things I would add to BDs lovely list are in the junk food category... 

Caramel/candy apples and fudge!  When I was a kid, there was the best fudge/candy shop in AP (now sadly gone), and a few in AC, Seaside, and Point Pleasant.  I haven’t been to AC or Seaside in a long time; but as of a year ago, the one in Point Pleasant was still there.  

Walking along the boards was always eating Kohr’s frozen custard (I liked the chocolate/vanilla twist) while smelling the sea; as well as all the other food... sausage and peppers, pizza (yes, we have the best!!), hot dogs, caramel apples and fudge.  In AC my grandmother loved the oysters on a half shell (not my cup of tea!!!).  

1 hour ago, MadamMarie said:

RJM Van Holden’s sweet shop in Seaside Heights is another! 

I was going to ask you about Seaside, as I haven’t been in years, and know you’re there quite often with your mom!  Good to know :) 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't see Nathan Hot Dogs on the list. Do I have the right area for them?

I’m not sure.  I can’t think where there’s a Nathan’s around the AP area.  Not sure about the larger boardwalks like Seaside.  In Long Branch and Belmar there’s The Windmill for burgers and hot dogs.  Quite yummy!!  

Looooove The Windmill :) 

Nathan’s is more Coney Island,  NYC... 

Archived