CosmicKid

Announcing the 4th Almost Annual Lakers Cover Bruce Music Contest

Well, I would love to participate but I know for sure I can’t get into the studio before the 17th. That’s my last day f work for the summer but beyond that, I could record a song in about a day if my guy could fit me in. It’s funny, I had a bluesy version of Part Man, Part Monkey that I was tinkering around with too. I was also messing with Johnny Bye Bye. I guess there is always next time maybe?

What also funny is I was just talking with him this morning and we were making plans to start recording my album as early as the 18th. 

• Like 1

We will extend the deadline a week to allow Junglelander to participate. And hopefully, with a new album in sight and the increased traffic that will mean here, more people will see the contest and want to join.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CosmicKid said:

We will extend the deadline a week to allow Junglelander to participate. And hopefully, with a new album in sight and the increased traffic that will mean here, more people will see the contest and want to join.

Thank you!!! Either leaning toward “Part Man, Part Monkey or Johnny Bye Bye

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Okely Dokely said:

I sent Open All Night yesterday, at least I think I did.  I emailed a Dropbox file of it.

Yep, it's been received. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Okely Dokely said:

I sent Open All Night yesterday, at least I think I did.  I emailed a Dropbox file of it.

wow ! 

looking forward to it

I’m really looking forward to hearing everyone else’s submissions. I’m still on the fence. I’ll probably record both and decide from there. It will also depend on my mood that day. Listening to the new single has me feeling quiet which makes me want to do Johnny Bye Bye. Idk, either way I’m looking forward to this.

• Like 1

I'm really excited to hear everyone's entries. I'm not big on competitions when it comes to art, so I don't vote, but I loved everything last year. We have a lot of talent around here. Sing your hearts out and your asses off, friends.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm really excited to hear everyone's entries. I'm not big on competitions when it comes to art, so I don't vote, but I loved everything last year. We have a lot of talent around here. Sing your hearts out and your asses off, friends.

just like last year i agree with you on this

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Junglelander said:

Does @CosmicKid vote?

Yes, I've been voting, but I don't take bribes!

• Haha 5

Hmmm, should I do this?

Four of the ten people who played with Storyville Krewe in 1969  (ie, fifty years ago) are still on this side of the grass, and since I'm posting on an internet forum, I'm apparently one of them.

Krewe had two of everything--two reeds, two brass, two strings, two keys, and two percussion.  We also had among them four male doo wop voices and one female voice on jump blues and Stax. 

We were repped by the Fred Petty Agency, booker of choice for venues which laundered revenues from "alternate sources."  (For a visual image, think Moe Green.)  Our record sales never extended beyond a single limited printing ignored by even close friends and relatives, never mind radio DJs. Despite that, we were quite good and well received in live performance. Since we were a ten-piece band making AFM scale, people paid a cover and minimum to see us.

Musicians from even the very best cover bands wind up not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but rather in straight day jobs with benefits.  I'm well beyond even that and into the Uggs house slippers, comfortable recliner, and ten prescription meds phase. 

The Boss is only three years younger than I, and while I don't know what his medicine cabinet looks like, he still gets out of his Uggs and his recliner and onto arena bandstands and theater stages. Determined not to let Springsteen surpass me, I occasionally pull my flugelhorn out of the closet so that Molly, our Welsh Terrier, can sing along with it.

Does that count for this exercise?

Storyville Krewe.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trombettist.vecchio said:

Hmmm, should I do this?

Four of the ten people who played with Storyville Krewe in 1969  (ie, fifty years ago) are still on this side of the grass, and since I'm posting on an internet forum, I'm apparently one of them.

Krewe had two of everything--two reeds, two brass, two strings, two keys, and two percussion.  We also had among them four male doo wop voices and one female voice on jump blues and Stax. 

We were repped by the Fred Petty Agency, booker of choice for venues which laundered revenues from "alternate sources."  (For a visual image, think Moe Green.)  Our record sales never extended beyond a single limited printing ignored by even close friends and relatives, never mind radio DJs. Despite that, we were quite good and well received in live performance. Since we were a ten-piece band making AFM scale, people paid a cover and minimum to see us.

Musicians from even the very best cover bands wind up not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but rather in straight day jobs with benefits.  I'm well beyond even that and into the Uggs house slippers, comfortable recliner, and ten prescription meds phase. 

The Boss is only three years younger than I, and while I don't know what his medicine cabinet looks like, he still gets out of his Uggs and his recliner and onto arena bandstands and theater stages. Determined not to let Springsteen surpass me, I occasionally pull my flugelhorn out of the closet so that Molly, our Welsh Terrier, can sing along with it.

Does that count for this exercise?

Storyville Krewe.png

Are you the one on the bottom right hand corner?

First, any band with a New Orleans inspired name is always worth at least a listen. Where could someone find your work on the Internet?

As for your question, I for one would be delighted to hear an instrumental version of a Bruce song played on the flugelhorn. If you take requests, I'd love to hear Stray Bullet. :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Are you the one on the bottom right hand corner?

First, any band with a New Orleans inspired name is always worth at least a listen. Where could someone find your work on the Internet?

As for your question, I for one would be delighted to hear an instrumental version of a Bruce song played on the flugelhorn. If you take requests, I'd love to hear Stray Bullet. :) 

My user name, elderly trumpet player in Italian,  pretty much admits that.  You've got half my real name. You don't want to know what Sonny replaces.  Except for Manny, our Cuban-born percussionist, you can see what community spawned that old band.

I wish that we weren't 60% under the ground so we could play something for you.  The other 40% are septuagenarians, of course.

I've got ten inch reels of the band, deep in the shed rehearsing, but no hardware that still works to play them on. Who knows if the tapes are still playable?

If I weren't so much of a geriatric luddite, I'd probably know how to upload an audio file so people other than my dog could be saddened by what's left of my chops!  Nina has to put up with it as well. We've been married since 1972.

No, this contest isn't for me, but I genuinely look forward to hearing my brand new friends on this forum.

I'm impressed, by the way, that you understood Storyville Krewe. For others, Storyville was the historic red light district in New Orleans where jazz was first nurtured. Krewe is an old Creole word referring to a social and benevolent society, often one that sponsors an entrant like a float or a band in a parade.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, trombettist.vecchio said:

My user name, elderly trumpet player in Italian,  pretty much admits that.  You've got half my real name. You don't want to know what Sonny replaces.  Except for Manny, our Cuban-born percussionist, you can see what community spawned that old band.

I wish that we weren't 60% under the ground so we could play something for you.  The other 40% are septuagenarians, of course.

I've got ten inch reels of the band, deep in the shed rehearsing, but no hardware that still works to play them on. Who knows if the tapes are still playable?

If I weren't so much of a geriatric luddite, I'd probably know how to upload an audio file so people other than my dog could be saddened by what's left of my chops!  Nina has to put up with it as well. We've been married since 1972.

No, this contest isn't for me, but I genuinely look forward to hearing my brand new friends on this forum.

I'm impressed, by the way, that you understood Storyville Krewe. For others, Storyville was the historic red light district in New Orleans where jazz was first nurtured. Krewe is an old Creole word referring to a social and benevolent society, often one that sponsors an entrant like a float or a band in a parade.

More than a contest, this is really a way for us to hear fellow fans’ renditions of Bruce’s songs.

I do hope you find a way to immortalise those recordings. It’s a shame to see music be forgotten. I, for one, would absolutely love to give it a listen. 

I’m nuts for all things New Orleans. I’m in love with the city and think it’s a world treasure. 

Btw, you’re all looking sharp in those pictures and it’s interesting to see a woman playing guitar. Was that common in that type of band back in the 60’s?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

Btw, you’re all looking sharp in those pictures and it’s interesting to see a woman playing guitar. Was that common in that type of band back in the 60’s?

Except for Blood, Sweat, and Tears, horn bands all wore suits back then. it was nothing unusual.  Most guitar oriented bands had stopped dressing up by then.

Women playing electric guitar wasn't particularly common in the late sixties, early seventies.  They played dreadnoughts in folk-rock and country-tinged bands, but female electric guitarists were rare. Nina played mostly Freddie Green style rhythm guitar for the horn / keyboard-driven band, but she could stick in a dripping blues lick here and there. She wasn't (isn't) a particularly big girl and liked the little Fender Jaguar more than a longer scale Strat

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 5:13 AM, CosmicKid said:

Yes, I've been voting, but I don't take bribes!

I ask because I was going to see which song you liked better to help me decide. I’m still unsure 

On 5/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, Troublette said:

Well, I have always liked Johnny Bye Bye myself. :rolleyes:

Talk to @Jerseyfornia he has heard both demos I’ve done so far. They aren’t studio quality but rather sitting on my porch with my guitar 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Junglelander said:

Talk to @Jerseyfornia he has heard both demos I’ve done so far. They aren’t studio quality but rather sitting on my porch with my guitar 

sounds like Nebraska and look how that turned out !

looking forward to hearing it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

sounds like Nebraska and look how that turned out !

looking forward to hearing it

One song would be a direct approach while the other is going out on a limb. I won’t know until I’ve recorded both and have them a few listens 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Junglelander said:

One song would be a direct approach while the other is going out on a limb. I won’t know until I’ve recorded both and have them a few listens 

well dpnt judge yourself too harshly 

you are with friends here

8 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

well dpnt judge yourself too harshly 

you are with friends here

If I go with Johnny Bye Bye, it’ll be very direct to the original. Part Man, Part Monkey will be close to the original but more bluesy and upbeat. I wish I could submit both but as that’s not an option...I’m still at a cross roads. Once they are recorded and I listen, I know one will reach out to me more than the other. Or so one can hope

• Bruuuuce! 1