So I’m a sucker for documentaries. Of all sorts, really. I just don’t particularly like docu-series as they tend to drag forever before getting to the point.

Anyway, these days Netflix seems to have a lot of them and some of them are really nice. So here’s a thread for documentaries that people have seen and whether they’re worth watching or not.

Yesterday I watched “Social_Animals” about three teenagers and their relationship with Instagram. Not Earth shattering, but decent enough and interesting.

8DB52EEA-4687-464A-86F1-CB524EC42DCE.jpeg.d6d7c982430dc45a0da116b31cd32f66.jpeg

• Like 1

cool idea for a thread TJ

not sure if anyone else things so but i reacon nature documentries have dumbed down of late 

even Attenborough seems to flit between different sceens when id rather just concentrate on one thing for a bit longer

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

cool idea for a thread TJ

not sure if anyone else things so but i reacon nature documentries have dumbed down of late 

even Attenborough seems to flit between different sceens when id rather just concentrate on one thing for a bit longer

As far as nature documentaries go (well, sort of), I am absolutely in love with this Youtube channel. There's a new episode each week and they're almost always great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

4 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Good thread!  I like documentaries as well as docu-series.  I look forward to seeing everyone's suggestions.

I like The Staircase on Netflix but I find that most docu-series could be trimmed down to a single 1h30m or maybe a two part film.

• Like 2

On my to see list next are:

The Miami Showband Massacre

Shirkers

The Vietnam War (haven't started because it's a docu-series)

Flint Town (same thing)

27 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

As far as nature documentaries go (well, sort of), I am absolutely in love with this Youtube channel. There's a new episode each week and they're almost always great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

they look awsome thanks heaps

i have terrible insomnia and ive run out of quality (actual history not sensationalist crap  on the royal family;))

im.tossing up between where did virues come from or when it rained for 2 million years or the origin of everybody !!

this is awsome !

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

On my to see list next are:

Shirkers

Flint Town (same thing)

i watched the first 2 episodes of the vietnam war last year but it requires alot of concentration because  there is so much to digest 

its very very good and i must get back into it

there are at least 2 threads on it floating around

55 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

It's excellent.

I just watched The Bad Kids. It's a no-frills, no-narration look at a continuation school for kids who are struggling to make it through the school system. Black Rock High School in Yucca Valley, CA. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

It's excellent.

I just watched The Bad Kids. It's a no-frills, no-narration look at a continuation school for kids who are struggling to make it through the school system. Black Rock High School in Yucca Valley, CA. 

I watched it quite a while ago. I think I even created a thread on the old Fight Club about it. I liked it so much I sent the School director an email. She actually replied to me and was really nice. As far as documentaries go, that one, for some inexplicable reason, has had a huge impact on me. I wish every school was like that.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

I'm up in Yucca Valley fairly often. Lived there years ago when I came off the road. I was thinking when I'm up there in a few weeks, I'd like to drop off a few copies of my books for their library. I'll send an email to her. That's a great idea.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

13 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm up in Yucca Valley fairly often. Lived there years ago when I came off the road. I was thinking when I'm up there in a few weeks, I'd like to drop off a few copies of my books for their library. I'll send an email to her. That's a great idea.

Tell me how it goes!

2 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Didn't know there was a doc on this, will need to check that out. It'll be interesting to see what comes out on the back of the Bloody Sunday stuff.

I've started Sky+ing the thing about the murder that was the subject of the first season of the podcast "Serial" about Adnan Syed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Didn't know there was a doc on this, will need to check that out. It'll be interesting to see what comes out on the back of the Bloody Sunday stuff.

I've started Sky+ing the thing about the murder that was the subject of the first season of the podcast "Serial" about Adnan Syed.

I'm watching the docu-series on that now.

Image result for the case against adnan syed

11 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

One of the best things I've ever watched on television. Worth the invested time IMO.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I'm going to save all four for a binge-watch.

I have to say from listening to the podcast it looks a dodgy, dodgy conviction.

Mind you, on watching "Proven Innocent", if that anything like reflects the reality of the American judicial system then I'd wager there's a few unsafe convictions presently doing time!

7 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I'm going to save all four for a binge-watch.

I have to say from listening to the podcast it looks a dodgy, dodgy conviction.

Mind you, on watching "Proven Innocent", if that anything like reflects the reality of the American judicial system then I'd wager there's a few unsafe convictions presently doing time!

I definitely agree with you.

• Like 1

I mentioned it over on the Netflix thread, but ReMastered is a great documentary series for music and mystery lovers.

rm.png

• Like 3

On 4/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, BrilliantDisguise said:

I saw this on HBO scrolling through to see what was on and didn't look further into it coz I know nothing 'bout it.

From this thread guess I must check it out, I do love me a great docu. 

• Like 1

Im so impressed the maori channel is screening the Vietnam doco starting tonight

I know its on netflex and it was online to stream from TVNZ but im.looking forward to watching it on the big telly not my phone

Not every thing they screen is in Maori although that is the whole point of maori tv

they screen good old fashoned family movies, foreign language movies, English movies,.documentries.and current affairs involving the world's  indigidouse peoples and NZ hunting and fishing / cooking programs 

They also do the very best ANZAC day coverage

Im always shocked the more liberal types i know dont have it more on their radar 

I watch the odd eposode of their weekly news digest and if im waiting for the news 10 min of kapa hake (tradional singing and dancing competition) is enjoyable as opposed to watching 10 min of friends or big band or modern family on the other channels 

Anyway anyway the Maori channel is my main hope for most of the non  netflex documentries yoy guys recomend 

Paris to Pittsburgh changed the way I look at Climate Change now. And that is saying a lot.

Tonight im watchimg  i am not your Negro - its on Maori tv 

Not sure if its a doco or a dramatization of true events ??

On 4/9/2019 at 5:30 PM, BrilliantDisguise said:

sic

Fucking ............... hell.

Just watched this top to bottom.

I'm sorry America and Americans, leaving Trump and all the other cult, redneck shite to one side, based solely on your 'judicial' (sic) system, you live in a third world banana republic.

My (American) wife said at the end of this that it made her ashamed to be American.

How can a civilised democracy have such an overtly politicised legal system?

Jesus, in ANY civilised country this shite would've been laughed out of court a generation ago.

Your country sucks.

16 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Fucking ............... hell.

Just watched this top to bottom.

I'm sorry America and Americans, leaving Trump and all the other cult, redneck shite to one side, based solely on your 'judicial' (sic) system, you live in a third world banana republic.

My (American) wife said at the end of this that it made her ashamed to be American.

How can a civilised democracy have such an overtly politicised legal system?

Jesus, in ANY civilised country this shite would've been laughed out of court a generation ago.

Your country sucks.

It's all Trump's fault.

:D